Apple debuts colorful 24-inch iMac with M1, upgraded camera and audio

Comments

• Reply 41 of 283
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    stuartf said:
    elijahg said:
     It also has no Ethernet port at all on the base model, 

The specs say the base model has Ethernet as a configurable option. It's probably as simple as swapping the power supply!
    That's a good point, I/we have no idea yet how many pins are in the power supply. Would be cool if it had USB C such that you could plug things in to the hidden power supply brick, would keep things tidy. Otherwise the case would need to be different for each config. I'd prefer a USB socket on the side too for things like memory sticks, and a SD card reader would be good too, dunno why they got rid of that. I use mine regularly.
  • Reply 42 of 283
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    roundaboutnowbaconstangmacplusplusmike1fastasleeperiamjhiqatedomattbookairwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 283
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    To a lot of users, an M1 Mac Mini with a 5k display (or even the XDR like I have) will make a lot more sense than this iMac.
    dewmekkqd1337
  • Reply 44 of 283
    xyzzy-xxxxyzzy-xxx Posts: 185member
    I like the design and the Touch ID keyboard but I dislike only having 8 / 16 GB memory options and the lack of expansion.
    kkqd1337williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 283
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    elijahg said:
    stuartf said:
    elijahg said:

The specs say the base model has Ethernet as a configurable option. It's probably as simple as swapping the power supply!
    That's a good point, I/we have no idea yet how many pins are in the power supply. Would be cool if it had USB C such that you could plug things in to the hidden power supply brick, would keep things tidy. Otherwise the case would need to be different for each config. I'd prefer a USB socket on the side too for things like memory sticks, and a SD card reader would be good too, dunno why they got rid of that. I use mine regularly.
    Get a dock...
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 283
    Love the iMac and new camera on it
    iqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 283
    keithw said:
    To a lot of users, an M1 Mac Mini with a 5k display (or even the XDR like I have) will make a lot more sense than this iMac.
    Perhaps so, but 5K monitors ain't cheap--you can get the base model iMac for the price of a 5K monitor. A mini with a 4K monitor (or two) would be more sensible. A mini with the 6K XDR sounds real nice, but I would say "luxurious," not sensible.
    baconstangMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 283
    MacPro said:
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    They manage to have no chin on the iPad Pro, and the iMac is basically an iPad Pro. There’s nothing really in the chin except speakers on the intel iMacs, and from the pictures it looks similar on this one. 
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 49 of 283
    elijahg said:
    stuartf said:
    elijahg said:
    Get a dock...
    Or Apple could just include it in the machine? No detriment to people to don’t use it, not like there’s a lack of space. But it is a few more dollars in Apple’s pocket.
    MplsP
  • Reply 50 of 283
    jknash said:
    No apple on the front of the new iMac ??!? What the hell is going on Apple? 
    The only spot where it makes sense to use Apple stickers? One down, 20 to go....
  • Reply 51 of 283
    This was built low end to replace low end iMacs. The prosumer and pro stuff is still to come. This is for the masses. This has the same specs as the other M1 Macs. Advantage over the mini is all usb-c if you like that, better webcam with lighting compensation, mic and built in monitor. 

We would probably get one to replace out old Mac mini. One advantage for us is the webcam being built in, cannot be moved by kids who like to fiddle with everything. 
    edited April 2021 roundaboutnowkkqd1337williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 283
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    elijahg said:
    stuartf said:
    elijahg said:

Get a dock...
    You mean a hub.  An iMac cannot be docked.
    elijahg
  • Reply 53 of 283
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    stuartf said:
    elijahg said:
    Get a dock...
    Or Apple could just include it in the machine? No detriment to people to don’t use it, not like there’s a lack of space. But it is a few more dollars in Apple’s pocket.
    I agree that a hub shouldn't be necessary to add basic functionality to a $1000 machine, but if you were so inclined, I think the Satechi stand hub is a pretty good option for the iMac, and the size of the new ones should still work: https://satechi.net/products/aluminum-imac-stand
    elijahg
  • Reply 54 of 283
    Underwhelmed by 24 and disappointed with bezel. Expected it to be 27 with a 32 showing up later. Hopefully that one will make it possible to use vesa monitor arms as well. As always: kudos for high quality screen and M1. 

Varies with needs off course, but for my purposes 21:9 is more interesting than 16:9 - documents and reference material. If workflow is Davinci/PS oriented 16:9 would be preferable.  Mac mini would be the better option for me.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 55 of 283
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    This was built low end to replace low end iMacs. The prosumer and pro stuff is still to come. This is for the masses. This has the same specs as the other M1 Macs. Advantage over the mini is all usb-c if you like that, better webcam with lighting compensation, mic and built in monitor. 

Exactly.

I dare say that Apple has now fully amortized the development cost of the M1 by sticking it in all products that could benefit most from the M1. In doing so, they've successfully rebased the lower end of their portfolio at a price-vs-performance level that has the competition gasping for air.

Now it's time for Apple to line up those products that will be the recipients of the follow-up and first major upgrade to the M1. This will be a move that will be a crushing blow to those who are struggling to catch up to the M1, or spinning wild tales about how their inferior offerings are almost as good as the M1.

It should be fun to watch.
    roundaboutnowScot1baconstangFidonet127fastasleepJanNLDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 283
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I had planned on buying one of these iMacs, but I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. £1649 for the model with 512GB SSD and a paltry 8GB of Ram and last years entry level chip.

Real nasty taste in the mouth with the £200 jump from the base model which they deliberately neutered to try and force people into buying the middle model.
    titantigerelijahgkkqd1337avon b7TRAG
  • Reply 57 of 283
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    dewme said:

Exactly.

I dare say that Apple has now fully amortized the development cost of the M1 by sticking it in all products that could benefit most from the M1. In doing so, they've successfully rebased the lower end of their portfolio at a price-vs-performance level that has the competition gasping for air.

Now it's time for Apple to line up those products that will be the recipients of the follow-up and first major upgrade to the M1. This will be a move that will be a crushing blow to those who are struggling to catch up to the M1, or spinning wild tales about how their inferior offerings are almost as good as the M1.

It should be fun to watch.
    I'm pretty sure we're going to see much more expensive Mx models next year, with a price-tag that won't make sense given the features. It has to be more expensive than the current offering otherwise people won't buy the entry-level models. And then we're back to square one, except without Intel chips.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 283
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Big chin, why? A little thicker and no chin is better IMO. 
    The logic board is behind the chin, and some of the speakers.

Function over form it seems!

External power supply with Ethernet (in the higher two models) is an interesting choice. Does that mean you can add ethernet to the base model later buy buying a different power supply?
    baconstangfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 283
    saarek said:
    I had planned on buying one of these iMacs, but I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. £1649 for the model with 512GB SSD and a paltry 8GB of Ram and last years entry level chip.

Real nasty taste in the mouth with the £200 jump from the base model which they deliberately neutered to try and force people into buying the middle model.
    I'm with you.  That $1700 model should have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD in it.  And the entry level one is a joke.  That's the kind of stripped down SKU you'd expect them to sell as an "education version."
    elijahgwilliamlondonTRAG
  • Reply 60 of 283
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    JSR_FDED said:
    Not to be nit-picky but an all black option would have been nice.... or at least space grey perhaps. Also - whats with the power brick - not a fan of separate power supply modules. I know likely why the did it, but in my view just one more brick to sit in my cable management system...
    You can plug your ethernet network cord into it, so that is one less cable to the back of the Mac.

I wonder if it's USB or firewire to that port and if third parties could introduce a powerbrick with a full hub with some USB as well as ethernet connections.  I could get A LOT of cables off my desk and under it with just one cable slinking it's way up to the Mac with such a power supply/hub combo.  That would be a real improvement!
    roundaboutnowelijahgwatto_cobra