New 2nd-gen Siri Remote backward compatible with older Apple TVs, available for $59

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Though it was announced alongside a new Apple TV 4K on Tuesday, the second-generation Siri Remote is compatible with previous models of Apple's set-top box, and can be purchased from Apple for $59.

Available to purchase from Apple's online store, the listing for the new Siri Remote notes that it "brings precise control to your Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD," revealing that it will work with older models.

The revamped remote addresses the criticisms of the previous-generation version by adding an all-new touch-enabled clickpad. It also has a circular gesture outer ring that is reminiscent of the clickwheel on the iPod classic.

Apple has also moved the Siri button to the right side of the remote, bringing it in line with the iPhone side/lock button, which is used to invoke Siri on the handset.

Like the previous Siri Remote, the second-generation model is charged via Lightning. Accordingly, the $59 accessory ships with a Lightning to USB cable.

It also includes an IR transmitter, allowing it to act as a universal remote controlling other devices in a user's entertainment center, such as an HDTV or surround sound receiver. It connects to the Apple TV over Bluetooth, however, eliminating the need for line-of-sight.

The all-new Siri Remote was unveiled alongside the new Apple TV 4K at Tuesday's "Spring Loaded" event. The latest Apple TV 4K ships with the redesigned remote in the box, but users of previous-generation devices will be able to purchase the Siri Remote separately, without the need for a new set-top box.

Beyond the redesigned remote, the sixth-generation Apple TV sports the A12 Bionic CPU, and a new automatic color balancing capability accomplished with an iPhone. The new Apple TV starts at $179 for 32 gigabytes of storage, or $199 for 64 gigabytes.

The new Apple TV -- along with the new second-generation Siri Remote -- will be available to preorder starting April 30. Both are expected to ship in the second half of May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Looks like a great update to the Siri remote, including that mute button. 
    Hank2.0maclin3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That power button in the corner seems a bit strange.  Good that they've added a dedicated button, I never liked holding down the TV button, but the design of it is weird.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Looks good and resolves most of the criticisms. 1.) Now has IR and power button to control other devices. 2.) Now has mute button. 3.) Now has more friendly circular clickpad. 4.) Now has almost twice the depth or thickness so it’s easier to hold. 5.) Now easy to figure out the top from the bottom. 
    gregoriusmCloudTalkintmaymaclin3watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 4 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Does it have a U1 inside?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Hallelujah!!!! Added a mute button o:)  and got rid of that pesky touch pad >:)
    maclin3DnykjpRfC6fnBs
  • Reply 6 of 25
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    That will make a lot of people happy!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    maclin3maclin3 Posts: 24member
    No more kids complaining that dad doesn’t know how to work the remote! And no more dad using four letter words in front of the children when he tries to use the remote. This remote control brings back the strength of the original Apple TV remote and includes most of the features that people were asking for in addition. 
    Hank2.0muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    I know I’m in the minority here, but any idea whether the old Siri remote is compatible with the new ATV?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Great Remote. Love the clickwheel and dedicated buttons. That alone makes buying a new Apple TV a no brainer
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Does it have a U1 inside?
    No reference to it on Apple’s website. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Lol

So you can get the remote for the price of a Google TV or Echo TV

That’s Apple Folks ! 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 12 of 25
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    This is one instance where Apple's "eco-friendly"unbundling practice would have been very welcome.

I have more than enough Lightning cables,  Leave it out of the package and price the remote at $40.

But, still very happy to see Apple listened to users.  The "precise control" ad copy touting the D-pad acknowledges one of the major complaints.

Suck it, Ive.
    screenscriber
  • Reply 13 of 25
    kkqd1337 said:
    Lol
    That’s Apple Folks ! 
    I looked into your claim, and you are correct, although you got one of the product names wrong, (Google TV is just the OS) and the Chromecast Ultra costs $69 which is more than this remote.

But I guess in terms of hardware alone, you win. If I could get Apple's services through a Chromecast, I think I'd buy a Chromecast instead.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I guess the Find My rumors were wrong. Adding that capability along with wireless charging would have made this remote a grand slam. As it is, I’m glad they included the universal remote that I’ve been predicting for years, along with the mute button for which I’ve been begging for years. All in all, an above average upgrade…can’t wait to try it out!
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    It would be nice if it were programmable to use Siri to turn on your entertainment system and configure all the inputs with a single command, like a Harmony remote (RIP).
    screenscriberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Hallelujah!!!! Added a mute button o:)  and got rid of that pesky touch pad >:)
    I think she mentioned that it is still there in the middle of the circle like the old one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Japhey said:
    I guess the Find My rumors were wrong. Adding that capability along with wireless charging would have made this remote a grand slam. As it is, I’m glad they included the universal remote that I’ve been predicting for years
    You can always buy an AirTag and use duct tape to attach it to the new remote. :-)

Oh, thanks for pointing out to me that it also doubles as a universal remote. That's interesting. I'm just not sure that a universal remote with only a handful of buttons could be useful. I'll have to read up on how this feature works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    DangDave said:
    ...Now has IR...
    The original Siri remote has IR.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Lol
    That’s Apple Folks ! 
    I looked into your claim, and you are correct, although you got one of the product names wrong, (Google TV is just the OS) and the Chromecast Ultra costs $69 which is more than this remote.

But I guess in terms of hardware alone, you win. If I could get Apple's services through a Chromecast, I think I'd buy a Chromecast instead.
    Your dreams have come true

Chromecast with Google TV – Google Store

Supports Apple TV
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 25
    The review didn’t mention this. And the previous version of the remote didn’t think to include this.

But all I can say is... I’m willing to pay $59 for a MUTE BUTTON.

Crazy, I know, but this is the kind of thing that happens when you find yourself trapped in the Apple ecosystem with its deeply flawed devices.