Apple debuts colorful 24-inch iMac with M1, upgraded camera and audio

13468915

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 283
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,654member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    Only neanderthal luddites use headphone jacks.
    And yet Apple included the jack.  Seems they know something you don't, smart guy.
    They could have added lightening on the other side or back for options. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 283
    crowleycrowley Posts: 8,845member
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    Only neanderthal luddites use headphone jacks.
    And yet Apple included the jack.  Seems they know something you don't, smart guy.
    They could have added lightening on the other side or back for options. 
    What options?  That's a terrible idea.
    baconstang
  • Reply 103 of 283
    Who uses Ethernet ?  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member
    saarek said:
    I had planned on buying one of these iMacs, but I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. £1649 for the model with 512GB SSD and a paltry 8GB of Ram and last years entry level chip.

    Real nasty taste in the mouth with the £200 jump from the base model which they deliberately neutered to try and force people into buying the middle model.
    I'm with you.  That $1700 model should have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD in it.  And the entry level one is a joke.  That's the kind of stripped down SKU you'd expect them to sell as an "education version."
    Have you ever looked at the lowest end 21.5” iMac before? That’s precisely what it is, along with stores and grandmas and other lightweight users who only need the bare basics and literally do not care about the missing features. It exists to reach the $1299 price point and serve those use cases. If it makes you mad, then you’re not the target audience for that model. 

    I simply don’t understand the complaints that the cheapest model isn’t the best. It never has been.
    That's not my complaint.  

    The current 21.5" Intel iMac has had 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Gigabit Ethernet and comes with 4 USB-A ports and two Thunderbolt ports, plus an SD card reader for $1099.  The new entry level is $200 more, has only two USB/Thunderbolt ports, no ethernet, no SD slot and still 8GB of RAM and 256 SSD.  That's my complaint - not that the entry level isn't the top of the line model, but that the entry level went up in price but down several pretty important areas.  And there isn't even a $1099 model option at all.
    So buy that one instead, problem solved. Lol

    It’s a completely different machine. There are costs that come with developing these things which will be recouped over time. New components that will get cheaper with higher yields over time. Inflation is a thing, have you compensated for that in your price comparisons of yesteryear’s models? This is not a new phenomenon and your comparison is meaningless. 
    StrangeDaysbaconstangdocno4213485williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 283
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 2,572member
    I was shocked when I noticed that the chin doesn't have an Apple logo. My first reaction was that it mean they were going to support portrait mode.

    But no.

    Actually, maybe it does, since you can get a VESA mount for it. Has anyone found out if it will work in portrait mode?
    elijahgbaconstang
  • Reply 106 of 283
    docno42 said:
    titantiger said:
    Far from nonsensical.  The issue is, the $1299 price point didn't used to be the crippled K-12 version.  A version like that was in the $1000 range.  When you got to 1300 bucks it didn't have goofy trade offs like only two USB ports and no ethernet jack.  Hell, even the base Mac mini has a damn ethernet jack, 2 USB ports in addition to the 2 Thunderbolt ones, and even an HDMI.  So it's perfectly reasonable to question the specs for the price on this new iMac.
    I don't know what country you live in but in the western world things have been getting more expensive over time for the past 40 years.  And it's accelerated in our COVID blessed world thanks to the now blindingly obvious gross, continued overreaction to the China virus.  The base mini lacks a screen, speakers, bundled keyboard/mouse, etc. so it's hardly an equal comparison.

    Speaking of costs raising over time - I was unwrapping some stuff wrapped in newspapers from the mid 70's and cars costing $30K plus today were around $1500 then.  Thank decades of successful central planning for this "feature".  
    And I pointed out in the very next post that the M1 Mac Mini with the same exact specs on RAM and SSD storage can be paired with a nice 24" 4k LG monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse and still come out $150 less.  Add in webcam and speakers and you're still at or under $1299 and you have the versatility of more ports (including HDMI) and the ability to upgrade the screen to 5k or a larger size later.  I don't think inflation on the Mac line jumped 20% from the release of the M1 Mac Mini til now.
    elijahg
  • Reply 107 of 283

    mike1 said:
    Put another way, the base Mac Mini is $699.  Pair it with a nice $300 LG 4k display (24") and an Apple keyboard and Mouse and you're only at about $1150.  Same M1 chip, same 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.  But more ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and even the ability to swap out the screen as a bonus if you wanted to later.  Add a webcam for $100 and you're still $50 under this crippled iMac's price point.

    You clearly aren't the customer for this, so please spend your money elsewhere.
    But I am the customer for it.  I've owned three iMacs since 2002.  I'm not asking for something unreasonable, or even something that is in line with what Apple has offered in the past.  The entry level consumer iMac at $1299 has never involved these kinds of petty compromises.  It makes no sense in light of the specs for the Mac Mini for instance.

    There's no need to get pissy about valid criticism.  These are artificial feature removals that are a step backward from what the entry level, non-education iMac has offered in the past.
    Did you consider the fact that it’s an entirely new industrial design and larger screen and doesn’t use a 4200rpm hard drive or any number of other features that would make it more difficult to reach the same price point of the previous low end model with all the features of the higher specced models? It’s not uncommon for newer improved models to come out at higher prices to recoup development and component expenses and later drop as those things improve. It’s not a new thing. 
    I did consider it.  The 2020 iMac 21.5 had 8GB of RAM, 256 SSD (not a spinning hard drive) and only a slightly smaller screen for $1099.  The new design is nice but not $200 nicer when you remove that many ports and can't even be bothered to include an ethernet jack on a desktop computer.  
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 108 of 283
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 740member
    It is interesting to see that m1 supports 4 USB-C ports. So on laptop side it was simple cost/ reason.
    elijahg
  • Reply 109 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member
    I am hearing people keep saying "Oh this is the consumer model, the larger one will have everything this one is missing". Nope. No it won't. Apple is extremely stubborn and always "know what's best for us". What will happen is, it will be months from now, will be overpriced, not enough ports, overcharge for SSD and RAM by 100%+, and missing key features while giving us these bad design decisions (i.e. white bezel, audio jack on the side).
    Good lord, get a grip. You’re upset about an unannounced product. 
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowbaconstangdocno42Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 283
    docno42 said:
    Put another way, the base Mac Mini is $699.  Pair it with a nice $300 LG 4k display (24") and an Apple keyboard and Mouse and you're only at about $1150.  Same M1 chip, same 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.  But more ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and even the ability to swap out the screen as a bonus if you wanted to later.  Add a webcam for $100 and you're still $50 under this crippled iMac's price point.
    Yet for the premium that "crippled" iMac delivers a much more compact and practically cable free computing experience. 

    You may not value experience, but focusing on the sum of the parts instead of individual parts is what made Apple the most valuable company on the stock market and let them blow past Microsoft - something that seemed impossible for over 30 years.

    So they must be doing at least a few things right  :*
    And they were able to do that for $1099 until today.  That's what a 2020 21.5" iMac with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD had - with the aforementioned ports still there, and the ethernet jack.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect for $200 more to keep basic functionality of a desktop computer like that.

    I do value experience.  I'm a friggin' iMac customer for the last 19 years.  I had the "lampshade" model, followed by a 21.5 aluminum one, and now a 27" 2017 model.  I'm exactly their target market.  But functionality is part of the experience too.  They shouldn't be treating this model like the stripped down K-12 edition.
    elijahg
  • Reply 111 of 283
    Who uses Ethernet ?  
    People who want the fastest possible speeds on their stationary desktop computer, which for most folks is still a wired connection.
    caddyman33elijahgMplsP
  • Reply 112 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member
    docno42 said:
    titantiger said:
    Far from nonsensical.  The issue is, the $1299 price point didn't used to be the crippled K-12 version.  A version like that was in the $1000 range.  When you got to 1300 bucks it didn't have goofy trade offs like only two USB ports and no ethernet jack.  Hell, even the base Mac mini has a damn ethernet jack, 2 USB ports in addition to the 2 Thunderbolt ones, and even an HDMI.  So it's perfectly reasonable to question the specs for the price on this new iMac.
    I don't know what country you live in but in the western world things have been getting more expensive over time for the past 40 years.  And it's accelerated in our COVID blessed world thanks to the now blindingly obvious gross, continued overreaction to the China virus.  The base mini lacks a screen, speakers, bundled keyboard/mouse, etc. so it's hardly an equal comparison.

    Speaking of costs raising over time - I was unwrapping some stuff wrapped in newspapers from the mid 70's and cars costing $30K plus today were around $1500 then.  Thank decades of successful central planning for this "feature".  
    And I pointed out in the very next post that the M1 Mac Mini with the same exact specs on RAM and SSD storage can be paired with a nice 24" 4k LG monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse and still come out $150 less.  Add in webcam and speakers and you're still at or under $1299 and you have the versatility of more ports (including HDMI) and the ability to upgrade the screen to 5k or a larger size later.  I don't think inflation on the Mac line jumped 20% from the release of the M1 Mac Mini til now.
    The mini is in same old enclosure as the Intel 
    model. The display is 4.5K, not 4K. It’s got a new logic board, cooling system, and audio designs. You can’t pretend like these aren’t factors. 
     
    baconstangdewmetenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 283
    saarek said:
    I had planned on buying one of these iMacs, but I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. £1649 for the model with 512GB SSD and a paltry 8GB of Ram and last years entry level chip.

    Real nasty taste in the mouth with the £200 jump from the base model which they deliberately neutered to try and force people into buying the middle model.
    I'm with you.  That $1700 model should have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD in it.  And the entry level one is a joke.  That's the kind of stripped down SKU you'd expect them to sell as an "education version."
    Have you ever looked at the lowest end 21.5” iMac before? That’s precisely what it is, along with stores and grandmas and other lightweight users who only need the bare basics and literally do not care about the missing features. It exists to reach the $1299 price point and serve those use cases. If it makes you mad, then you’re not the target audience for that model. 

    I simply don’t understand the complaints that the cheapest model isn’t the best. It never has been.
    That's not my complaint.  

    The current 21.5" Intel iMac has had 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Gigabit Ethernet and comes with 4 USB-A ports and two Thunderbolt ports, plus an SD card reader for $1099.  The new entry level is $200 more, has only two USB/Thunderbolt ports, no ethernet, no SD slot and still 8GB of RAM and 256 SSD.  That's my complaint - not that the entry level isn't the top of the line model, but that the entry level went up in price but down several pretty important areas.  And there isn't even a $1099 model option at all.
    So buy that one instead, problem solved. Lol

    It’s a completely different machine. There are costs that come with developing these things which will be recouped over time. New components that will get cheaper with higher yields over time. Inflation is a thing, have you compensated for that in your price comparisons of yesteryear’s models? This is not a new phenomenon and your comparison is meaningless. 
    It's not "yesteryear."  I'm not comparing a 2015 iMac to today's model.  It's literally last year's iMac and Mac Mini that I've offered for comparison, which are totally in line with what should be expected here.  The internals of this iMac are not so drastically different from the other M1 models that it justifies a $200 price increase while removing basic functionality.

    I figured if I traded from my current 27" model to the new M1 there'd be some tradeoffs - better processor but non-upgradeable RAM (and less of it), a slightly smaller screen, etc.  But what I didn't expect was to have to pay $200 extra over the already $200 more base model, just to have 2 fewer ports instead of 4 fewer, and to keep Gigabit Ethernet.  That doesn't even get into the small SSD size.  I don't see how these issues are unreasonable to point out.
    elijahg
  • Reply 114 of 283
    docno42 said:
    titantiger said:
    Far from nonsensical.  The issue is, the $1299 price point didn't used to be the crippled K-12 version.  A version like that was in the $1000 range.  When you got to 1300 bucks it didn't have goofy trade offs like only two USB ports and no ethernet jack.  Hell, even the base Mac mini has a damn ethernet jack, 2 USB ports in addition to the 2 Thunderbolt ones, and even an HDMI.  So it's perfectly reasonable to question the specs for the price on this new iMac.
    I don't know what country you live in but in the western world things have been getting more expensive over time for the past 40 years.  And it's accelerated in our COVID blessed world thanks to the now blindingly obvious gross, continued overreaction to the China virus.  The base mini lacks a screen, speakers, bundled keyboard/mouse, etc. so it's hardly an equal comparison.

    Speaking of costs raising over time - I was unwrapping some stuff wrapped in newspapers from the mid 70's and cars costing $30K plus today were around $1500 then.  Thank decades of successful central planning for this "feature".  
    And I pointed out in the very next post that the M1 Mac Mini with the same exact specs on RAM and SSD storage can be paired with a nice 24" 4k LG monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse and still come out $150 less.  Add in webcam and speakers and you're still at or under $1299 and you have the versatility of more ports (including HDMI) and the ability to upgrade the screen to 5k or a larger size later.  I don't think inflation on the Mac line jumped 20% from the release of the M1 Mac Mini til now.
    The mini is in same old enclosure as the Intel 
    model. The display is 4.5K, not 4K. It’s got a new logic board, cooling system, and audio designs. You can’t pretend like these aren’t factors. 
     
    Which while it may justify a price increase, does not justify an increase while removing 4 ports, the SD slot, and ethernet.  
  • Reply 115 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member


    mike1 said:
    Put another way, the base Mac Mini is $699.  Pair it with a nice $300 LG 4k display (24") and an Apple keyboard and Mouse and you're only at about $1150.  Same M1 chip, same 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.  But more ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and even the ability to swap out the screen as a bonus if you wanted to later.  Add a webcam for $100 and you're still $50 under this crippled iMac's price point.

    You clearly aren't the customer for this, so please spend your money elsewhere.
    But I am the customer for it.  I've owned three iMacs since 2002.  I'm not asking for something unreasonable, or even something that is in line with what Apple has offered in the past.  The entry level consumer iMac at $1299 has never involved these kinds of petty compromises.  It makes no sense in light of the specs for the Mac Mini for instance.

    There's no need to get pissy about valid criticism.  These are artificial feature removals that are a step backward from what the entry level, non-education iMac has offered in the past.
    Did you consider the fact that it’s an entirely new industrial design and larger screen and doesn’t use a 4200rpm hard drive or any number of other features that would make it more difficult to reach the same price point of the previous low end model with all the features of the higher specced models? It’s not uncommon for newer improved models to come out at higher prices to recoup development and component expenses and later drop as those things improve. It’s not a new thing. 
    I did consider it.  The 2020 iMac 21.5 had 8GB of RAM, 256 SSD (not a spinning hard drive) and only a slightly smaller screen for $1099.  The new design is nice but not $200 nicer when you remove that many ports and can't even be bothered to include an ethernet jack on a desktop computer.  
    Most people have zero use for an Ethernet jack.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 116 of 283
    Look, if you think the new design is worth $200 more, fine.  Charge $200 more.  But when you take away other things that are norms not only for desktop computers, but iMacs up to this point and even the similarly powerful Mac Mini, then it's not just $200 more now.  Given that to get at least some of those things (but not all) back, you actually have to drop $400 more.  

    That's an insane jump in one year's time no matter how pretty and new it is.
    MplsP
  • Reply 117 of 283


    mike1 said:
    Put another way, the base Mac Mini is $699.  Pair it with a nice $300 LG 4k display (24") and an Apple keyboard and Mouse and you're only at about $1150.  Same M1 chip, same 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.  But more ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and even the ability to swap out the screen as a bonus if you wanted to later.  Add a webcam for $100 and you're still $50 under this crippled iMac's price point.

    You clearly aren't the customer for this, so please spend your money elsewhere.
    But I am the customer for it.  I've owned three iMacs since 2002.  I'm not asking for something unreasonable, or even something that is in line with what Apple has offered in the past.  The entry level consumer iMac at $1299 has never involved these kinds of petty compromises.  It makes no sense in light of the specs for the Mac Mini for instance.

    There's no need to get pissy about valid criticism.  These are artificial feature removals that are a step backward from what the entry level, non-education iMac has offered in the past.
    Did you consider the fact that it’s an entirely new industrial design and larger screen and doesn’t use a 4200rpm hard drive or any number of other features that would make it more difficult to reach the same price point of the previous low end model with all the features of the higher specced models? It’s not uncommon for newer improved models to come out at higher prices to recoup development and component expenses and later drop as those things improve. It’s not a new thing. 
    I did consider it.  The 2020 iMac 21.5 had 8GB of RAM, 256 SSD (not a spinning hard drive) and only a slightly smaller screen for $1099.  The new design is nice but not $200 nicer when you remove that many ports and can't even be bothered to include an ethernet jack on a desktop computer.  
    Most people have zero use for an Ethernet jack.
    Most people using laptops do.  Desktop computer users still use ethernet for the most part unless they just can't because of the location of the cable modem.  Unless you have a screamer of a Wifi router, it's still going to give you significantly better internet speeds.
    edited April 20 elijahgMplsP
  • Reply 118 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member
    saarek said:
    I had planned on buying one of these iMacs, but I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. £1649 for the model with 512GB SSD and a paltry 8GB of Ram and last years entry level chip.

    Real nasty taste in the mouth with the £200 jump from the base model which they deliberately neutered to try and force people into buying the middle model.
    I'm with you.  That $1700 model should have 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD in it.  And the entry level one is a joke.  That's the kind of stripped down SKU you'd expect them to sell as an "education version."
    Have you ever looked at the lowest end 21.5” iMac before? That’s precisely what it is, along with stores and grandmas and other lightweight users who only need the bare basics and literally do not care about the missing features. It exists to reach the $1299 price point and serve those use cases. If it makes you mad, then you’re not the target audience for that model. 

    I simply don’t understand the complaints that the cheapest model isn’t the best. It never has been.
    That's not my complaint.  

    The current 21.5" Intel iMac has had 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Gigabit Ethernet and comes with 4 USB-A ports and two Thunderbolt ports, plus an SD card reader for $1099.  The new entry level is $200 more, has only two USB/Thunderbolt ports, no ethernet, no SD slot and still 8GB of RAM and 256 SSD.  That's my complaint - not that the entry level isn't the top of the line model, but that the entry level went up in price but down several pretty important areas.  And there isn't even a $1099 model option at all.
    So buy that one instead, problem solved. Lol

    It’s a completely different machine. There are costs that come with developing these things which will be recouped over time. New components that will get cheaper with higher yields over time. Inflation is a thing, have you compensated for that in your price comparisons of yesteryear’s models? This is not a new phenomenon and your comparison is meaningless. 
    It's not "yesteryear."  I'm not comparing a 2015 iMac to today's model.  It's literally last year's iMac and Mac Mini that I've offered for comparison, which are totally in line with what should be expected here.  The internals of this iMac are not so drastically different from the other M1 models that it justifies a $200 price increase while removing basic functionality.

    I figured if I traded from my current 27" model to the new M1 there'd be some tradeoffs - better processor but non-upgradeable RAM (and less of it), a slightly smaller screen, etc.  But what I didn't expect was to have to pay $200 extra over the already $200 more base model, just to have 2 fewer ports instead of 4 fewer, and to keep Gigabit Ethernet.  That doesn't even get into the small SSD size.  I don't see how these issues are unreasonable to point out.
    You clearly don’t understand how this not an apples to apples specs comparison. It *is* drastically different in almost every measurable way!

    Lastly you’re downsizing from a more expensive 27” model instead of waiting for the replacement for that model to arrive, and you’re complaining about $200? Good grief. 
    roundaboutnowdocno42baconstang13485tenthousandthingsDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 283
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 5,785member

    docno42 said:
    titantiger said:
    Far from nonsensical.  The issue is, the $1299 price point didn't used to be the crippled K-12 version.  A version like that was in the $1000 range.  When you got to 1300 bucks it didn't have goofy trade offs like only two USB ports and no ethernet jack.  Hell, even the base Mac mini has a damn ethernet jack, 2 USB ports in addition to the 2 Thunderbolt ones, and even an HDMI.  So it's perfectly reasonable to question the specs for the price on this new iMac.
    I don't know what country you live in but in the western world things have been getting more expensive over time for the past 40 years.  And it's accelerated in our COVID blessed world thanks to the now blindingly obvious gross, continued overreaction to the China virus.  The base mini lacks a screen, speakers, bundled keyboard/mouse, etc. so it's hardly an equal comparison.

    Speaking of costs raising over time - I was unwrapping some stuff wrapped in newspapers from the mid 70's and cars costing $30K plus today were around $1500 then.  Thank decades of successful central planning for this "feature".  
    And I pointed out in the very next post that the M1 Mac Mini with the same exact specs on RAM and SSD storage can be paired with a nice 24" 4k LG monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse and still come out $150 less.  Add in webcam and speakers and you're still at or under $1299 and you have the versatility of more ports (including HDMI) and the ability to upgrade the screen to 5k or a larger size later.  I don't think inflation on the Mac line jumped 20% from the release of the M1 Mac Mini til now.
    The mini is in same old enclosure as the Intel 
    model. The display is 4.5K, not 4K. It’s got a new logic board, cooling system, and audio designs. You can’t pretend like these aren’t factors. 
     
    Which while it may justify a price increase, does not justify an increase while removing 4 ports, the SD slot, and ethernet.  
    Because you’re making up component costs in your head to calculate the value of the product. As has been discussed many times over, the sum of component costs has nothing to do with development and manufacturing costs. You have no idea how they calculated these choices, and are making yourself angry over an imaginary metric that you concocted on your own. That
    seems unproductive. 
    StrangeDaysdocno42baconstangDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 120 of 283
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,499member
    Big chin, why? A little thicker and no chin is better IMO. 
    Gotta have SOME place to put my sticky notes!
    baconstangwatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.