New Siri Remote lacks U1 chip for precise Find My integration

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple on Tuesday confirmed that its new Apple TV Siri Remote does not integrate a U1 chip, meaning it can't be located with pinpoint accuracy through Apple's Find My network. The latest iPad Pro models also appear to lack the locator.

Siri Remote

Rumors leading up to today's announcement suggested Apple would integrate Find My functionality to a next-generation Siri Remote, a logical addition considering remote controls are commonly lost in couch cushions. Those rumblings, however, appear to be incorrect.

Apple's specifications sheet shows the device does not integrate a U1 chip, a component that plays a key role in the company's Ultra Wideband device-locating technology. The tech giant confirmed U1's absence in a statement to The Verge.

While Find My can locate Bluetooth-connected objects without U1 (see AirPods), the capability was not mentioned during today's special presentation or corresponding press release, nor is it listed as a feature on the dedicated Apple TV webpage. That said, Apple has not gone on record as saying the new Siri Remote is incompatible with Find My. Support could be added at a later date, though chances are sim.

Interestingly, the two iPad Pro models unveiled today also lack U1, meaning they are not capable of navigating to lost AirTags through the Find My app.

Introduced in 2018 with iPhone 11, the U1 chip's UWB-based spatial awareness functions were initially limited to filtering AirDrop recipients. AirTags take the technology further by offering precise location information -- derived from UWB ranging pulses -- to compatible devices.

Apple's U1 silicon is installed on iPhone 11 and 12 series handsets, HomePod mini and the new Apple TV 4K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Maybe Apple will release a sleeve accessory for it that can hold an AirTag!

/s
    cornchiprundhvid
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Maybe Apple will release a sleeve accessory for it that can hold an AirTag!
    Made by Hermes — $249
    elijahgcornchipMichaelKohlcaladanianrundhvidCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 3 of 15
    It would be super cool if during setup you could take a pano of your room and later your Apple TV 4K could show you where in the room your remote was. Then again I guess you would need the remote to use the AppleTV to tell it to find it... never mind.
    elijahgcornchiph2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    A bit disappointing, although really the only thing you’d generally need to know is whether to look in the couch or the lay-z-boy. 
    edited April 2021 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Having a beeper in it would be good enough, then you can use your built-in UWB chip: your ears.
    edited April 2021 cornchipAI_lias
  • Reply 6 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    What a disappointment. 3 and a half years later for this SHI*!!!

U1 and speaker are obvious.

It would be super cool if during setup you could take a pano of your room and later your Apple TV 4K could show you where in the room your remote was. Then again I guess you would need the remote to use the AppleTV to tell it to find it... never mind.

Not even that. All they had to do was add a crappy speaker. Users could use “Hey, Siri” to find their remote.

”Hey, Siri where’s the remote?”
    ”beep! Beep! Right here!”
    williamlondonelijahgapplguy
  • Reply 7 of 15
    No UWB on the new iPad Pro?! That’s a surprise :neutral: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Lacking the U1 is a bit disappointing but I’d rather it have wireless charging.  It would be super cool to be able to plop it down on a Qi charging pad or MagSafe.  As it is now I keep a charger and cable tucked under my couch.  It’s useless until I need to fish it out to charge my AppleTV remote.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Good to see Apple listening to feedback, finally. The only hard thing about this is waiting for all updates based on feedback, which take a long time to come because of the natural product lifecycles. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apple trying to keep cost down by not including the U1 chip in.  Only the top of line iPhone models will have it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    My God.  Next thing you know, we'll learn that the power adapters don't have the U1 chip either and we can't figure out exactly where they are.  They could put the U1 chip in the charging cable too, so Dasjetta and all of us would know which couch we hid it under.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Wiseman said:
    People need to get a grip! A chip in remote to find it? If you really want it, you can put a tag on it yourself! Do you guys need a find my chip for your jacket or cereal spoon too? Good lord

You must not own one. These things are tiny. Add kids and you’ll lose them for years. 

Also, adding a tag to it?!?! Give me a fu**ing break.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 13 of 15
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    What a weird omission.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    RenhaRenha Posts: 2member
    elijahg said:
    Having a beeper in it would be good enough, then you can use your built-in UWB chip: your ears.

That is a lie. Ears bandwidth is around 20 kHz, that is very far from UWB's 500 MHz, around 25000 times less wide.
    watto_cobra