Apple unveils new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini LED Liquid Retina XDR display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    dewme said:
    This thing is a beast. When they were describing it I envisioned dollar signs spewing out of a blower. But the actual price is in line with current models. Not bad. This will put serious pressure on Apple to differentiate iPad Pro from the lower end of the MacBook Pro lineup.
    I can see a niche of people linking 12.9 inch iPad pro w/24 inch iMac, or Mac Book Pro, either as an extra screen or as graphic input. 

So how would that work with USB 4?

Just plug it in and configure it I suppose, but details will appear soon enough.
    What? Sidecar has been out since Catalina and works over WIFI or USB. That’s how it would work. 

Also, AstroPad and Duet Display have been around even longer. 
    You are correct, if the default is USB 3, but there hasn't been a TB 3 iPad to TB 3 Mac capability until now. Will there be an option to configure via TB 3 channels for higher bandwidth? Would it even make a difference?

I guess we'll know soon enough.
    How much bandwidth do you think you need for a display and touch input?  USB3 is more than enough.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    k2kw said:
    So there is really no reason why macOS couldn’t be installed on the IPP.
    i see SuperOS emerging.   IPadPro with the new Keyboard for theIMac running macOS would be great.  They just to put 16 GB ram in this with a big SSD.  

Edit: and external monitor.
    They already could have done this. iPadOS/iOS is based on OS X. They chose not to due to form factor and use case. They affirm it every year. 

They're obviously lying, of course.

Mac OS just keeps getting more and more like iOS, not the other way around.  And Mac hardware keeps becomeing more and more throwaway garbage, like the iPad.

The new iMac is idiotically thin. 

The main failure point on the MacBook Air is now the display, because it's so stupidly thin that it's incredibly fragile.  We used to see a broken display every few weeks, I was in the shop yesterday morning (I'm almost never there, I'm mostly working at home these days with occasional visits to client sites) and there were three broken display calls in half an hour.  That display is going to cost $600 to $800 if you break it.  "Oh, but I'll get Applecare" you think.  Yeah, I don't know about you, but I keep computers a LOT longer than three years.  My 2012 15" MBP is a MUCH better computer than this 2018 MBA that I'm typing on now.

I'll leave you with Three Dead Trolls In A Baggie.

williamlondonjdb8167
  • Reply 23 of 61
    crushedcrushed Posts: 18member
    MarcHawk said:
    Bummer, why can’t we get our choice of pretty colors like the new iMacs?

Wait until next Spring! They will be adding new colors before then for sure 😂
  • Reply 24 of 61
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    k2kw said:
    i see SuperOS emerging.   IPadPro with the new Keyboard for theIMac running macOS would be great.  They just to put 16 GB ram in this with a big SSD.  

They already could have done this. iPadOS/iOS is based on OS X. They chose not to due to form factor and use case. They affirm it every year. 

People like you also used to say they’d never make a bigger iPhone over the iPhone 4, or a notch, or a camera bump or so on and so forth. Apple WILL merge the OS’s one day. How and when are still up in the air. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:

People like you also used to say they’d never make a bigger iPhone over the iPhone 4, or a notch, or a camera bump or so on and so forth. Apple WILL merge the OS’s one day. How and when are still up in the air. 
    k2kw said:

Or use a Stylus.  But they came out with an excuse for the Apple Pencil.   We will see how things develop with the macOS and iPadOS at WWDC this year.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    I really wish the Apple Pencil would have an eraser on it, like with the Wacom stylus. Now that it can be charged magnetically, it shouldn't be an issue. It's much more intuitive to flip the pencil around to erase something (because that's what we've been doing for, like, a gazillion years) than to select the "eraser" tool. And for painting, the back of the pencil could operate like the back of a standard paintbrush, so you could "etch" into your painting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    dbvapordbvapor Posts: 33member
    But no iPad mini!   😩
    I would love to see an iPad mini half the size of the 11” pro.  
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 61
    caladanian said: I don’t like the colours. Just glad silver is still an option but missing space grey or black on the iMacs. 
    You probably have to wait for Apple to roll out the 6K 32" iMac. Maybe that will show up with the M2. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    k2kw said:

The Mac can already run iOS apps.  What sense is there in merging them any further?
    randominternetpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 61
    CloudTalkin said: The comparison you're making isn't like for like though.  The TV's you're mentioning are larger so a comparable number of Mini-LED's will give you fewer dimming zones.  Take for example a TCL 8 Series 75" Mini-LED TV.  It also has a 10,000 Mini-LED panel but size (same number of LED's spread over a larger surface) yields only 1000 local dimming zones instead of 2500 like the iPad Pro.  
    One caveat: mini-LED doesn't have a standard size for the individual LEDs. Apple was able to get 10,000 into a 12.9" screen by using a size that is likely MUCH smaller than what a TV panel uses. So it's not just a matter of whether they're spread out over a larger area or not when it comes to the number of dimming zones created. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 61

staticx57 said: iPhone 12 Pro Max has 3,566,952 dimming zones
    Per pixel dimming with OLED can't be beat. But 2,500 dimming zones in a 12.9" is going to be an interesting comparison.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    darkvader said:
    k2kw said:

Mac OS just keeps getting more and more like iOS, not the other way around.  And Mac hardware keeps becomeing more and more throwaway garbage, like the iPad.

The main failure point on the MacBook Air is now the display, because it's so stupidly thin that it's incredibly fragile.  We used to see a broken display every few weeks, I was in the shop yesterday morning (I'm almost never there, I'm mostly working at home these days with occasional visits to client sites) and there were three broken display calls in half an hour.  That display is going to cost $600 to $800 if you break it.  "Oh, but I'll get Applecare" you think.  Yeah, I don't know about you, but I keep computers a LOT longer than three years.  My 2012 15" MBP is a MUCH better computer than this 2018 MBA that I'm typing on now.

I'll leave you with Three Dead Trolls In A Baggie.

Enjoy your new life in the Windows PC world. Hope you like it.
    tmayrandominternetpersonBeatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 33 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    The only negative is that this screen isn’t available in the 11 inch model.
    (and price of course).
    And price of course. Sounds like you won't be buying any new Apple gear any time soon.
    randominternetpersonBeatschia
  • Reply 34 of 61
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    besides the obvious of not having a 21.5"-27" screen and not supporting MacOS (even though it has a M1) adding a stand to this or keyboard cover creates an awesome and portable iMac and w/o a chin :)

in fact, if they enabled MacOS support, we would finally have an all-in-one device MacOS + iOS that doesn't require dual boot or emulation, that really blurs the distinction between what is a MacBook and iPad and if enable the Thunderbolt port could support external monitors like a LG Ultrafine 4K or 5K. Plus it would make MS head explode b/c they haven't been able to successfully crack this use case, yet.
    edited April 2021 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 61
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    entropys said:
    The only negative is that this screen isn’t available in the 11 inch model.
    (and price of course).
    gotta pay to play
    Beatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 36 of 61
    k2kw said:

Nice prediction since it can never be refuted.  10 years from now, we can pull up this post and you'll be able to say "I never said it would be within 10 years."

If you put any reasonable timeframe on this, I'd be happy to put $100 up against $100 that Apple will prove you wrong.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    darkvader said:
    k2kw said:

Well, except, that isn't what "lying" means. Either OS gaining features of the other isn't merging. They don't gain *all* the features of the other, which would be a merge. They gain what makes sense, and ignore what doesn't. macOS is much more complex than iOS to its basic use cases, and that hasn't changed or become stripped down.

Also, the iMac can't get thin enough. I use mine on a VESA arm and the thinner and lighter, the better. Smaller is better than bigger when it comes to computing mass. Otherwise we'd still be using room-sized computers.
    edited April 2021 Beatscanukstormwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 38 of 61

k2kw said:

People like you like to make up stories about people like me to make people like you look better.

No, they won't merge iOS and macOS. They've explained why countless times, you simply have to uncover your ears & eyes to understand why. The use paradigms are different. If we replaced your 27" iMac w/ iPadOS, it would still suck, despite the display, mouse, and keyboard. The only way it wouldn't suck would be if you gave it feature parity of macOS, making it macOS, and which is also overkill for iPadOS. 

Does that mean I think Apple will never release another new OS? No, of course not. OS X made it 20 years, but 20 years from now who knows what we'll be using. But they won't simply merge iOS and macOS, which both came from OS X.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 61
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:

k2kw said:

Or use a Stylus.  But they came out with an excuse for the Apple Pencil.   We will see how things develop with the macOS and iPadOS at WWDC this year.
    LOL you just don't understand what Jobs said about the stylus, vs what the Pencil is. He was referring to mobile phones which required the use a small stylus for basic UI operation, which believe it or not was a thing for a short while. He was not referring to an optional drawing & handwriting tool. I cannot believe this still has to be explained.

"Who wants a stylus? You have to get 'em, put 'em away, you lose 'em. Yuck! Nobody wants a stylus. So let's not use a stylus."

Beatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 40 of 61
    The only difference between the 128/256/512GB  and 1/2 TB configs (other than the storage) is the 16GB RAM in the 1/2 TB configs.  But comparing the prices to the 2020 iPadsPro, the 128/256/512GB models are $100 more, but the 1TB 2021 model is $300 more.  Are 8GB RAM sticks that expensive these days? 

Just complaining....
    watto_cobra