M1 chip and Thunderbolt come to Apple's 11-inch iPad Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    k2kw said:
    Slide said up to 16gb of ram. M1 has 8gb of ram minimum. macOS requires 8gb of ram to run. Maybe someone will get macOS or windows on arm running on this new iPad Pro. That would be epic!
    YES finally the Toaster-Regrigerator I’ve been Dreaming of.   SuperOS is here.
    When it's plugged into an external display, it would perform very much the same as a Macbook Air. It wouldn't need a converged OS that works for both touch and mouse/keyboard, it can dual boot both systems.

This would make an iPad Pro much more valuable as you'd get both a Mac and iPad in one and most of the installed iPad apps would run in both environments.

It would be best if both systems could run and suspend without a reboot e.g run iPad mode inside the Mac system. Some people could buy an iPad, plug it into a display and use it like that instead of a Mac/PC.

I think students would appreciate the ability to go to lectures and take notes and draw in iPad mode with the pencil as well as use it for movies and be able to run development software like node, Python, Xcode in Mac mode when in development classes and Final Cut/Da Vinci in video classes.

A converged OS like Windows Surface doesn't offer a nice experience because developers only make the apps for desktop use. A dual system means always using apps that work well in each mode.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Cool. Would’ve loved if they said “Hey, the Apple Pencil doesn’t slide on the glass anymore... We’ve changed the composite of the Apple pencil nib, and nano etched the iPad screen in a way that feels very natural to draw on, even when iPad is full of finger smudges”... They didn’t however...
    mattinoz
  • Reply 23 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Slide said up to 16gb of ram. M1 has 8gb of ram minimum. macOS requires 8gb of ram to run. Maybe someone will get macOS or windows on arm running on this new iPad Pro. That would be epic!
    I wish people would stop asking for macOS on an iPad. It’s not feasible. We see from Microsoft’s attempts in that with Windows. Look at your Mac, whichever one it is, and figure than in a 13” screen, with you trying to poke those tiny elements with your finger. It’s almost impossible. In order for Microsoft to have done that they had to run the high resolution screen at a lower resolution for the Desktop to be usable with a stylus, which is a necessity for that. But you really do need a keyboard there, with a mouse or trackpad. For iPadOS, those are considered as speciality devices, not normally needed for the Desktop or most software.

so if you’re going to need a keyboard and pointing device, from wanting macOS on an iPad, you might as well buy a device that’s already designed for it, which is a Mac notebook. And yes, I’d like my 13” M1 Macbook Pro to have a touchscreen too, but that may never happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    An incredible powerful CPU on a device that doesn’t need it as long as the operating system is a limiting factor. 

I have the 2nd generation iPad Pro and never ever I had the need for a faster device. On macOS that’s completely different, because the operating system requires more powerful hardware and the operating system opens up for you to do more.
    What do you do with your iPad? I do video editing, photo editing, 3DCAM, drawing, etc. And yes, more power is better, no doubt. The OS isn’t a limiting factor in any of those. The apps just work. The faster the chip, and the more memory, the better they work.

I honestly think you guys are stunted in your thinking. Way back in the early days, when IBM came out with the 286 model, reviewers were saying that it was all the machine business would need. When the 1GHz 486 single core came out, it was said that that was all anyone would need.

and yet, here we are. Does anyone remember back when it was said that the Mac was just a toy? Or when it was said that laptops could never do serious work? The same type of person says that about the iPad, and they’re wrong too.
    foregoneconclusionrandominternetpersonwatto_cobracanukstorm
  • Reply 25 of 39
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    melgross said:
    An incredible powerful CPU on a device that doesn’t need it as long as the operating system is a limiting factor. 

I have the 2nd generation iPad Pro and never ever I had the need for a faster device. On macOS that’s completely different, because the operating system requires more powerful hardware and the operating system opens up for you to do more.
    What do you do with your iPad? I do video editing, photo editing, 3DCAM, drawing, etc. And yes, more power is better, no doubt. The OS isn’t a limiting factor in any of those. The apps just work. The faster the chip, and the more memory, the better they work.

I honestly think you guys are stunted in your thinking. Way back in the early days, when IBM came out with the 286 model, reviewers were saying that it was all the machine business would need. When the 1GHz 486 single core came out, it was said that that was all anyone would need.

and yet, here we are. Does anyone remember back when it was said that the Mac was just a toy? Or when it was said that laptops could never do serious work? The same type of person says that about the iPad, and they’re wrong too.
    Agree with most of post but — 1ghz 486? When did that happen? I remember 1ghz pentium 3 and 1ghz athlon. But 486??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    melgross said:
    I wish people would stop asking for macOS on an iPad. It’s not feasible. We see from Microsoft’s attempts in that with Windows. Look at your Mac, whichever one it is, and figure than in a 13” screen, with you trying to poke those tiny elements with your finger. It’s almost impossible. In order for Microsoft to have done that they had to run the high resolution screen at a lower resolution for the Desktop to be usable with a stylus, which is a necessity for that. But you really do need a keyboard there, with a mouse or trackpad. For iPadOS, those are considered as speciality devices, not normally needed for the Desktop or most software.

so if you’re going to need a keyboard and pointing device, from wanting macOS on an iPad, you might as well buy a device that’s already designed for it, which is a Mac notebook. And yes, I’d like my 13” M1 Macbook Pro to have a touchscreen too, but that may never happen.
    I think Apple should release MacOS on the iPad Pro as an app. The M1 has support for virtualization—a first for an iPad SoC. Virtualizing MacOS would maintain the iPadOS walled garden but still allow for access to virtualized hardware like the Thunderbolt port and external displays. The Mac file system would be sandboxed to a single “on my iPad” directory but allow a full Mac Finder for that folder hierarchy and also iCloud access. 

All this could be done with minimal work and would make the objections about GUI target size moot. If you need MacOS on your iPad you install it and use it with a magic keyboard. I already use third-party tools to access my Mac as a Remote Desktop. That has the same limitations and works just fine. Inconvenient without a keyboard and trackpad but perfectly usable with them. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

I think Apple should release MacOS on the iPad Pro as an app. The M1 has support for virtualization—a first for an iPad SoC. Virtualizing MacOS would maintain the iPadOS walled garden but still allow for access to virtualized hardware like the Thunderbolt port and external displays. The Mac file system would be sandboxed to a single “on my iPad” directory but allow a full Mac Finder for that folder hierarchy and also iCloud access. 

All this could be done with minimal work and would make the objections about GUI target size moot. If you need MacOS on your iPad you install it and use it with a magic keyboard. I already use third-party tools to access my Mac as a Remote Desktop. That has the same limitations and works just fine. Inconvenient without a keyboard and trackpad but perfectly usable with them. 
     :D 

Sure it could.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    crowley said:
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

Sure it could.
    Not sure I understand your comment. Do you think creating a VM with the built-in hypervisor is difficult? It shouldn’t be. MacOS is already ported to the M1 so just hardware access needs to be virtualized. Parallels has done this in less than a year on the M1 Macs for Windows and Linux. You can get open-source QEmu that also does it. Why would Apple have any trouble?
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    blastdoor said:
    melgross said:

Agree with most of post but — 1ghz 486? When did that happen? I remember 1ghz pentium 3 and 1ghz athlon. But 486??
    Yeah, sorry, I just automatically typed 486.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

I don’t get the insistence on this. What’s the fascination? Buy a freaking Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jdb8167 said:
    crowley said:
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

Sure it could.
    Not sure I understand your comment. Do you think creating a VM with the built-in hypervisor is difficult? It shouldn’t be. MacOS is already ported to the M1 so just hardware access needs to be virtualized. Parallels has done this in less than a year on the M1 Macs for Windows and Linux. You can get open-source QEmu that also does it. Why would Apple have any trouble?
    That’s not the important question. The question is why, and nobody has given a good reason, just some jumbled ideas that aren’t even correct.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    melgross said:
    jdb8167 said:
    crowley said:
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

Sure it could.
    That’s not the important question. The question is why, and nobody has given a good reason, just some jumbled ideas that aren’t even correct.
    Because many people would love the simplicity of the iPad for their most used daily activities. But sometimes you need a more sophisticated/complicated system. I agree that it is a relatively small niche and I would never support the idea of putting macOS on an iPad on par with iPadOS. But as a user, if I can install macOS as an app for a few niche uses, it is a total win. I can ditch my mostly unused MacBook and use the iPad Pro for everything, all the time.

The beauty of installing macOS as a virtual machine as an App Store application is that it doesn't change the nature of the iPad at all. Even if you have it installed, outside of taking up a fairly serious amount of SSD, you won't notice it until you need an application that only runs on macOS. It expands the potential iPad user base which is good for all of us that love the iPad. I'm a developer, I can't use the iPad Pro as my primary computer even though I want to. I don't just write software using Xcode but use a variety of different tools. I literally can't use an iPad Pro as my primary computer because there is no way to use the tools I need. If macOS was virtualized under iPadOS, I could literally never need an MacBook ever again. I will still need a desktop macOS computer but that isn't a change, I could never do all my work with just a notebook.

I want my iPad Pro to be my only mobile system. Given the current environment, I can't use it the way I want. I don't want to change the iPad--I love the iPad for its simplicity and the cohesion of iOS & iPadOS apps. It is a better system for most than macOS but there is some software that will never work with the existing iPadOS restrictions and that limits its scope. With a macOS VM, the issues go away. Mac users can continue to buy MacBooks but iPadOS can start making inroads in the areas where it currently doesn't work well. I personally can't see any downside.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    jdb8167 said:
    Because many people would love the simplicity of the iPad for their most used daily activities. But sometimes you need a more sophisticated/complicated system. I agree that it is a relatively small niche and I would never support the idea of putting macOS on an iPad on par with iPadOS. But as a user, if I can install macOS as an app for a few niche uses, it is a total win. I can ditch my mostly unused MacBook and use the iPad Pro for everything, all the time.
    If you put macOS on an iPad, then the iPad wouldn't be simple any more. That's not going to happen.

However what might well occur, enabled by iPadOS having been forked away from iOS, is iPad OS's very rudimentary file handling and multitasking capabilities being beefed up to allow more computer-like workflows. At the same time, some elements of macOS are also taking cues from the mobile devices. This isn't an "iOSification" of macOS as some people claim, but rather Apple's effort to better harmonize the user experience between the Mac and the mobile devices. That involves evolution in both categories.
    watto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:
    jdb8167 said:
    crowley said:
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

Sure it could.

The beauty of installing macOS as a virtual machine as an App Store application is that it doesn't change the nature of the iPad at all. Even if you have it installed, outside of taking up a fairly serious amount of SSD, you won't notice it until you need an application that only runs on macOS. It expands the potential iPad user base which is good for all of us that love the iPad. I'm a developer, I can't use the iPad Pro as my primary computer even though I want to. I don't just write software using Xcode but use a variety of different tools. I literally can't use an iPad Pro as my primary computer because there is no way to use the tools I need. If macOS was virtualized under iPadOS, I could literally never need an MacBook ever again. I will still need a desktop macOS computer but that isn't a change, I could never do all my work with just a notebook.

I want my iPad Pro to be my only mobile system. Given the current environment, I can't use it the way I want. I don't want to change the iPad--I love the iPad for its simplicity and the cohesion of iOS & iPadOS apps. It is a better system for most than macOS but there is some software that will never work with the existing iPadOS restrictions and that limits its scope. With a macOS VM, the issues go away. Mac users can continue to buy MacBooks but iPadOS can start making inroads in the areas where it currently doesn't work well. I personally can't see any downside.
    The entire reason Apple came up with an iPad using iOS is because Desktop OSs don’t work well on a tablet. I’ve used most of Microsoft’s Surface Pros. It’s a second rate experience. That’s not because Windows is a second rate experience, which is another argument, but because it’s very clumsy in a device meant mostly for, in Microsoft’s case, a stylus. It’s much worse for touch. macOS would be in the same situation—a second rate experience. Apple knows that.

‘’try one of the Apple’s that’s allows you to control your Mac from an iPad. I have a coup,e. Puttin the Mack Desktop even on the iPad Pro 12.9” is extremely unpleasant. Everything is far too small. Apple would have to resort to the same tactic Microsoft does, which is lowering the screen rez for the Desktop and many other uses. That makes the tappable areas larger, but drastically lowers the amount of information on the screen. And Microsoft doesn’t sell more than a handful of Surface Pros a year. Partly because they’re quite expensive for most Windows users, but also because they’re really not user friendly.

I don’t want to see iPads go down that route. Apple is adding more functionality to the usable file system every year. But it’s not easy to do and still maintain the ease and friendliness that most people want. More and more software is coming to iPad OS, and that will continue. If there was a reasonable way to rework the macOS Desktop for the iPad, I’d be happy to see it here. But until there is, I don’t want it.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    DAalseth said:
    Huh so this is going to take some pondering. I had just about convinced myself to go with the Air, but this is a huge upgrade. RAM doubles from my iPP 10.5. I am surprised with the M1 in the 11 inch, I want to see benchmarks for this thing.  It’s enough of an update I’m now thinking of going with the bigger model. 
    For $200 more, I would definitely choose the M1 11” iPad Pro over the Air. You’re getting a lot for that $200. Not to mention future proofing. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    I for one would like a MacPadOS, I want to be able to manage groups in the contact app etc. I want my browser to be seen as a desktop browser - yes there is a setting to ask that browsers be treated as a desktop browser in iPadOS but it almost never is treated that way. So give me MacOS on the iPad...or make Mail, Contacts, etc first class citizens on the iPad. No, Give me MacOS on the M1 iPad Pro (If I am mobile without a keyboard/mouse/trackpad, the pencil still gives me the control I would want.) and give my wife iPadOS on her M1 iPad Pro. It would be easy enough for Apple to offer the customer a choice of either iPadOS or MacPadOS for M1 or later Apple silicon. It would be interesting to see how many people would choose MacOS over iPadOS. My current iPad Pro is a 1TB 3rd generation model. I also have an iPad Air 4, which gets little use but I find that it feels "smoother" to me than the A12X model. So I look forward to the new M1 model to see how it feels.

My wife will be ordering a 256GB 12.9" WiFi iPad Pro and I will be ordering a 2TB 12.9" WiFi iPad Pro this Friday. I really want to see the the mini-led screen. 

For future iPad Pros, I would love to see two Thunderbolt ports (one where the port currently is and the second port on the opposite side) and move the front camera to the middle of the landscape edge. My iPad Pro spends at least 99% of its time in landscape position. Fantasy, I know but still I wish.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    chick said:
    I for one would like a MacPadOS, I want to be able to manage groups in the contact app etc. I want my browser to be seen as a desktop browser - yes there is a setting to ask that browsers be treated as a desktop browser in iPadOS but it almost never is treated that way. So give me MacOS on the iPad...or make Mail, Contacts, etc first class citizens on the iPad. No, Give me MacOS on the M1 iPad Pro (If I am mobile without a keyboard/mouse/trackpad, the pencil still gives me the control I would want.) and give my wife iPadOS on her M1 iPad Pro. It would be easy enough for Apple to offer the customer a choice of either iPadOS or MacPadOS for M1 or later Apple silicon. It would be interesting to see how many people would choose MacOS over iPadOS. My current iPad Pro is a 1TB 3rd generation model. I also have an iPad Air 4, which gets little use but I find that it feels "smoother" to me than the A12X model. So I look forward to the new M1 model to see how it feels.

My wife will be ordering a 256GB 12.9" WiFi iPad Pro and I will be ordering a 2TB 12.9" WiFi iPad Pro this Friday. I really want to see the the mini-led screen. 

For future iPad Pros, I would love to see two Thunderbolt ports (one where the port currently is and the second port on the opposite side) and move the front camera to the middle of the landscape edge. My iPad Pro spends at least 99% of its time in landscape position. Fantasy, I know but still I wish.
    I would bet, about two months from now, at the WWDC, Apple will again upgrade iPadOS. This does seem like a good time for it, doesn’t it? People are acting as though it’s static, when the past three years, Apple has made significant additions.

it’s pretty likely, given these new models, that Apple would want to expand what the OS can offer, again. Will everything that everyone wants be there, well, no. No company has ever expanded their OS to give everyone everything they want. People even have opposing views as to what should be done. In these very forums, there are people who have opposed every addition Apple has made, such as Files itself. They want the iPadOS to remain as simple as it every was. So Apple has to do this in a way that those who don’t want more complexity won’t see it, while providing those that do, as much of it as possible. And that’s going to take some time, because it’s harder to do it that way. So some patience is called for.  
    edited April 2021 canukstormmattinoz
  • Reply 38 of 39
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    jdb8167 said:
    melgross said:

Unfortunately the MS Surface and the Windows PC manufacturers have already proven that as soon as you put a full desktop OS on a tablet, then developers stop developing tablet apps. 

Below is a screenshot of MS Excel for iPad. Relatively clean interface. 

Here is the MacOS equivalent. Much more information and smaller icons. 

Both a Mac and iPad today can run the full version of Excel. Putting MacOS on an iPad, then all developers fall back to default mode and won't even bother creating tablet/touch optimized apps.

tht
  • Reply 39 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    melgross said:
    chick said:

I would bet, about two months from now, at the WWDC, Apple will again upgrade iPadOS. This does seem like a good time for it, doesn’t it? People are acting as though it’s static, when the past three years, Apple has made significant additions.

it’s pretty likely, given these new models, that Apple would want to expand what the OS can offer, again. Will everything that everyone wants be there, well, no. No company has ever expanded their OS to give everyone everything they want. People even have opposing views as to what should be done. In these very forums, there are people who have opposed every addition Apple has made, such as Files itself. They want the iPadOS to remain as simple as it every was. So Apple has to do this in a way that those who don’t want more complexity won’t see it, while providing those that do, as much of it as possible. And that’s going to take some time, because it’s harder to do it that way. So some patience is called for.  
    I’m hoping we do see improvements in iPadOS, but on the other hand, there’s absolutely no reason they couldn’t have been made already. The previous iPad pros were already more than powerful enough; the issues are all software limitations, not hardware ones. 

The dual boot option is interesting - theoretically, you could have an iPad that functions as a Mac using BT peripherals and no touch screen. That would eliminate the problems associated with adapting a desktop OS to a touch screen. What would be even better would be to have something like that with a shared storage so you could access and use the same files from bothe OS’s. Of course having 2 OS’s would require a lot more storage in and of itself. 
    muthuk_vanalingam