Apple debuts colorful 24-inch iMac with M1, upgraded camera and audio

Comments

• Reply 201 of 283
    MacPro said:
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    It's where you can grab it to adjust the position without getting fingerprints on the screen.
    dewmebaconstangsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 202 of 283
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Well...

Apple must have a treason to sort of junk up the iMac like this. 

Perhaps pushing a distinction between base and pro lines? 

Or trying to artificially make the iPad Pro look like the more attractive purchase? 

I mean, there are quite a few downgrades. 

1. The bezels. Most obvious. Instead of being... GONE. or even black do as yo minimize their distraction, they are white/silver/whatever and screaming in your face. “Hey look at me! I’m a big fat bezel that you cannot ignore!” LOL. It’s almost as if a Google designer made it onto apples design team and trolled Cupertino with this - only for it to actually get the green light. 

2. The power brick. Yes. What was once the sleekest entry level all in one on the planet not has a gaming console style power brick. You know, the kind that literally sits unceremoniously on the floor like a price of litter. And it requires two cables. One to the outlet and the other to the iMac. Doubling as the Ethernet connection is whatever. But making it a brick that sits on the floor? Eh? 

What. The heck. 

Not even the iPad has such a trashy solution. 

Hey I get not including the PSU in the body in order to minimize internal heat and save space. 

But at least allow the thing to elegantly plug into the wall directly. Not just plop on the freaking floor. Baffling. 

Either redesign the brick to be a plug. Or make thh he r iMac thicker and put the psu back in. Sheesh. 

3. The chin. On the same day that we get a 6mm thin iPad with an M1, 16 GB RAM and large SSD drives, we get a similarly spec’d iMac that somehow needs to be twice as thick, and sport a massive chin. Do Apple ID saying that they can fit an entire M1 setup ibehind the display in a 6mm setup, but not in an 11 mm setup? Riiiiiight. And this is where so many of the knocks on the new iMac are justified. Simply poor decisions - made on purpose. A chin is not a brand. Especially when it dates your offering. Braa as branding should not only distinguish, it should elevate. And this one nosedives. Hard. 

4. The stand. The current 27 inch iMac has a sleek L shaped stand. Looks great. Works great. The 24” adds a “heel” to it? Why on earth? You can talk stabilization, but it’s no more so than the 37 inch solution. Looks like a backward step in terms of aesthetics and sleekness. 

5. Non-matched color. It was one thing to get a certain color and the whole device is that color. Now you get a color and end up with off versions of that color in random looking places. Back and sides one shade. Chin and stand another shade. And then the cables have a third shade. It just looks so elementary school and not elegant at all. 

For a system where even the r try level units had such sleek professional style, this is a big backward step. 

Overall, it was a shock to watch the presentation of the new iMac and then see it flip to the front and be just “oh my gosh. What in earth.” I do t think that’s ever been the reaction of an Apple design before. 

Hopefully this kind of regression is not the design direction for apples pro lines. And if the larger iMac must be called iMac Pro to get far far way from not only this kindergarten aesthetic, but poor technical design choices as well, then by all means, bring on the iMac Pro. 

Just do not let this design team anywhere near the new MacBook pros or the iMac Pro. 
    elijahgTRAG
  • Reply 203 of 283
    It is humorous to me, all this back and forth. Apple still sells Intel Macs. While you may not like these Macs, there will be many people who do and will buy them. Further these Macs are not meant to replace the 27" iMac or other high end Macs. To boot, Cook said they now sell more ASi Macs than Intel Macs. You can complain about everything, however people are going to buy these Macs, just like they did the pervious ASi Macs. 

Despite only being released in November, sales of the M1-powered MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini now represent the majority of Mac sales, outperforming Mac computers powered by Intel processors, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/apple-silicon-mac-sales-intel/
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 204 of 283
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    blastdoor said:
    This is pretty much what was expected -- an M1-based replacement for the low-end iMac (formerly 21"). 

It's not for me, but neither was the 21" (I'm a 27" iMac kind of guy). 

It's pretty amazing that essentially one chip is used for MBA, MBP13, Mac mini, and the low-end iMac. How many different Intel chips models and GPU combos used to span those devices? And they're using the M1 in the iPad Pro. Economies of scale FTW. 
    They can do that because the M1 chip is the low energy, low thermal chip in the first Place.

I’m expecting the rumored M1X Chip with a a couple extra Cores to show up in a Bigger IMac at either 27 or 30 inches.

I wish hat they would have a 32 GB Ram option though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 205 of 283
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Jon Ive is rolling in his grave. 
  • Reply 206 of 283
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I am curious to know who at Apple thinks that the people who use desktops really want an iMac in "statement colors".  I have not seen one in person yet of course but I wonder if there is any refinement to these floating boxes of do they look as uninspired as I think they do now? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 207 of 283
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    spice-boy said:
    Jon Ive is rolling in his grave. 
    What's he doing in a grave?
    elijahgbaconstangmwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 208 of 283
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    MacPro said:
    elijahg said:

elijahg said:
    MacPro said:
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    They manage to have no chin on the iPad Pro, and the iMac is basically an iPad Pro. There’s nothing really in the chin except speakers on the intel iMacs, and from the pictures it looks similar on this one. 
    They show you what’s inside of it. The logic board is in the chin only. There are two fans. Six larger speakers. I/O perpendicular to the back plane. Did you even watch the presentation? 
    Then make it thicker? The iPad Pro manages it at 6mm. They have a huge aluminium heatsink they can use too. I usually do but skimmed through this one, can't stand listening to Cook's drawl at the best of times, but the scripted enthusiasm is grating.
    Kind of like the scripted criticism is. I know Linus from Linus Tech agrees with with you so that's one good reason for the Chin ;) It is possible Apple wants the iMac to look like an iMac, not a Dell monitor.  Solve your chin dislike with a Mac mini and a Dell monitor.  I have that exact rig next to a 27" i9 iMac and they both look nice but only one looks like an iMac.
    Criticism from many corners is all an orchestrated, scripted event? Funny. Personally I don't care about the chin either way, bit it seems odd to keep it without the Apple logo. Without the logo it looks similar to a 2000s monitor (that had the speakers in the chin too, but facing the user)...

My New Years resolution 5760 x 1080 - ExtremeTech

I still have a 27" Apple LED display with the logo in the centre of the bottom bezel, it's quite obviously an Apple product.
  • Reply 209 of 283
    crowley said:
    docno42 said:
    titantiger said:
    And I pointed out in the very next post that the M1 Mac Mini with the same exact specs on RAM and SSD storage can be paired with a nice 24" 4k LG monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse and still come out $150 less. 
    For a much shittier experience.  

Fine - you don't value it.  Apple thinks there are more people that will.  And I also think they are probably right.   Also you've already demonstrated over and over that even if they fixed your "issues" you wouldn't be buying it for other reasons so have fun being a contrarian for constrains sake.  It is one of the bigger Internet pastimes (and heck BBS's before the Internet too). 
    Actually, I would be buying it.  I was planning on buying it.  The drop from 27" to 24" wouldn't be that big a loss for me to gain the M1 and Touch ID keyboard....until I realized that those things were coming at a hefty premium and I'd still be losing two USB ports and an SD slot in the process while getting 1/4 the storage  So I guess I'll wait until the specs get more in line with the price.
    These iMacs are replacing the 21.5".  The replacements for the 27" will come later in the year.  Hopefully they'll suit your needs better at a decent price.
    I know.  But that just makes the pricing issue even harder to swallow.  The 30" or so model that comes later will probably have more ports and such, but it will also come with a hefty price tag, if the price to specs ratio of these 24" ones are any indication.  And I don't really need a 30-32" model.  I could use a 24" one that isn't bumping $2000 just to have 4 ports and decent storage.
    elijahg
  • Reply 210 of 283
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    the screen is too thin to place a headphone jack component from the back.. even though the plug itself is 3.5mm..the jack component is usually 12-14mm deep...the screen's depth is only 11.5mm.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 211 of 283
    this was bound to happen. even more so now that the chip is 100% apple.  they will dictate how much memory power their chips can take. which if you think about it is a good thing. at least it should reduce crashes from RAM kernel panics.

Scot1 said:
    Was hoping for 27” or 30” iMac 
    Looks like memory swap out might have been lost as well in new design?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 212 of 283
    k2kw said:
    blastdoor said:
    This is pretty much what was expected -- an M1-based replacement for the low-end iMac (formerly 21"). 

It's not for me, but neither was the 21" (I'm a 27" iMac kind of guy). 

It's pretty amazing that essentially one chip is used for MBA, MBP13, Mac mini, and the low-end iMac. How many different Intel chips models and GPU combos used to span those devices? And they're using the M1 in the iPad Pro. Economies of scale FTW. 
    They can do that because the M1 chip is the low energy, low thermal chip in the first Place.

I’m expecting the rumored M1X Chip with a a couple extra Cores to show up in a Bigger IMac at either 27 or 30 inches.

I wish hat they would have a 32 GB Ram option though.
    i think the m1 maxes out at 16gb..if apple felt it could handle 32gb, the option would be there.  
    i'm sure their pro silicon model will satisfy many..16-24-32 core with a max of 128gbRAM. i can totally see that coming either in june or october. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 213 of 283
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike54 said:
    I wonder if there would be any chance of Apple replacing the internal logic for an updated one in the future? It looks like it can be easily swapped out. Just take it into an Apple Store and have them replace it. It would be the way to go instead of ditching the whole iMac or before prematurely becoming electronic rubbish. If Apple sincerely cares about the environment this is what they would do.
    No way José
    williamlondon
  • Reply 214 of 283
    For people wondering why the new low end iMacs didn’t come in at previous generation’s lower price point, it's kinda typical for Apple to reset the price with a major redesign. 

iMac G3 started at $1299 
    iMac G4 started at $1299
    iMac G5 started at $1299
    iMac Intel stated at $1299
    iMac Intel AL started at $1199
    iMac Intel AL thin at  $1299

With the exception of the G4 each one went down in price over it's lifetime and then with a single exception the price went back to 1299 with the next redesign. The G4 iMacs were a little weird because they had the eMac come out which took the place of low end iMac. So there shouldn't be much surprise  when it comes to the price tag, it’s been remarkably consistent. Also, if you adjust for inflation the iMacs today cost about half as much as the original G3.
    This makes some sense.  My only issue with this one compared to previous redesigns is that you didn't step backwards in functionality outside of when they finally ditched the optical drive with the last version of the Intel aluminum one.  Before, the iMac either kept the same number or even added USB, Thunderbolt or Firewire ports.  It kept ethernet as a standard option, not a configurable one for more money.  And the only differentiator in the $1299 one and the same size ones that were more expensive were things like more memory, larger HDD or SSD, or a faster processor.  The entry level one didn't lack any features or functionality that the upgraded one had - it just had a slower processor, integrated graphics instead of discrete ones, less RAM, less storage space.  

But with this one, they did return to the $1299 entry price but regressed on these kinds of things - just two thunderbolt ports, no ethernet.  It doesn't come with the Touch ID keyboard.  It's just, to me, a step backwards in terms how Apple has handled these redesign transitions in the past.  
    spice-boy
  • Reply 215 of 283

This image on the iMac info page tells me everything I need to know about the "chin."  Namely, Apple sees it as a feature, not a bug.  Apple used this cropped photo to show off the beautiful display and they intentionally included not only the "chin" but also the "foot."  I have no doubt that there is a prototype (or 30) that used a thicker case without a chin, and the Apple designers learned/confirmed/decided that "thin with chin" is the more attractive option.
    watto_cobra
    imac.PNG 442.9K
  • Reply 216 of 283
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    toddzrx said:
    Oh great. Because you being one iMac user that finds a dock useful is clearly representative of the general population.

Most home users, which is clearly the audience for this first iteration of an Apple Si iMac, are probably going to be as wireless as possible and won’t have all the extra stuff plugged in like you’ve got. 
    You're missing the point.  I mentioned my use case to drive my point that a dock serves a completely useful point.  A poster decided that there no one uses a dock for an iMac, and I offered my personal experience to the contrary.  That people like you feel that's not the case, or that you somehow put yourself a position to represent what the rest of the market wants is irrelevant.

Having a dock allows one to plug whatever they want at more convenient area on one's desk, or underneath it, and in a cleaner way than running all those cables to the back of an iMac.  Plenty of USB-A and USBc ports, display ports, SD-Card, etc.  Clearly you haven't tried one to be in a position of knowing that.  It's safe to say that the bigger iMac will most likely have a similar setup in the back and for those users that have more peripherals, especially daily-use, mobile products, a dock is just the next logical accessory to have.  Having one cable in use on the back of an iMac is just a cleaner, more elegant solution. for folks that need multiple ports.

In addition to the ethernet port, I think Apple should have included a USB4/Thunderbolt port in the AC adapter.  
    edited April 2021 baconstangwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 217 of 283
    Well...

Apple must have a treason to sort of junk up the iMac like this. 

Perhaps pushing a distinction between base and pro lines? 

Or trying to artificially make the iPad Pro look like the more attractive purchase? 

I mean, there are quite a few downgrades. 

1. The bezels. Most obvious. Instead of being... GONE. or even black do as yo minimize their distraction, they are white/silver/whatever and screaming in your face. “Hey look at me! I’m a big fat bezel that you cannot ignore!” LOL. It’s almost as if a Google designer made it onto apples design team and trolled Cupertino with this - only for it to actually get the green light. 

2. The power brick. Yes. What was once the sleekest entry level all in one on the planet not has a gaming console style power brick. You know, the kind that literally sits unceremoniously on the floor like a price of litter. And it requires two cables. One to the outlet and the other to the iMac. Doubling as the Ethernet connection is whatever. But making it a brick that sits on the floor? Eh? 

What. The heck. 

Not even the iPad has such a trashy solution. 

Hey I get not including the PSU in the body in order to minimize internal heat and save space. 

But at least allow the thing to elegantly plug into the wall directly. Not just plop on the freaking floor. Baffling. 

Either redesign the brick to be a plug. Or make thh he r iMac thicker and put the psu back in. Sheesh. 

3. The chin. On the same day that we get a 6mm thin iPad with an M1, 16 GB RAM and large SSD drives, we get a similarly spec’d iMac that somehow needs to be twice as thick, and sport a massive chin. Do Apple ID saying that they can fit an entire M1 setup ibehind the display in a 6mm setup, but not in an 11 mm setup? Riiiiiight. And this is where so many of the knocks on the new iMac are justified. Simply poor decisions - made on purpose. A chin is not a brand. Especially when it dates your offering. Braa as branding should not only distinguish, it should elevate. And this one nosedives. Hard. 

4. The stand. The current 27 inch iMac has a sleek L shaped stand. Looks great. Works great. The 24” adds a “heel” to it? Why on earth? You can talk stabilization, but it’s no more so than the 37 inch solution. Looks like a backward step in terms of aesthetics and sleekness. 

5. Non-matched color. It was one thing to get a certain color and the whole device is that color. Now you get a color and end up with off versions of that color in random looking places. Back and sides one shade. Chin and stand another shade. And then the cables have a third shade. It just looks so elementary school and not elegant at all. 

For a system where even the r try level units had such sleek professional style, this is a big backward step. 

Overall, it was a shock to watch the presentation of the new iMac and then see it flip to the front and be just “oh my gosh. What in earth.” I do t think that’s ever been the reaction of an Apple design before. 

Hopefully this kind of regression is not the design direction for apples pro lines. And if the larger iMac must be called iMac Pro to get far far way from not only this kindergarten aesthetic, but poor technical design choices as well, then by all means, bring on the iMac Pro. 

Just do not let this design team anywhere near the new MacBook pros or the iMac Pro. 
    Was the point of your post to demonstrate that you have no professional training as a designer or aesthetics?  Or is this a parody?  In either case, mission accomplished,
    edited April 2021 StrangeDaysroundaboutnowbaconstangtenthousandthingstmaywatto_cobraDetnatordocno42
  • Reply 218 of 283
    zzrwood said:
    This is clearly a consumer machine, but if this is the harbinger of things to come for the larger iMac, I am pretty annoyed. I don't want distracting colors, a silver bezel instead of a black one is horrible for trying to do design work. And as I produce professional audio, I can't use bluetooth to connect amp/speakers because bluetooth compresses and colors audio, so to stick the audio out on the side with a cord dangling. Awful. Looks like I will have to go the mac mini route unfortunately. I can't wait months to replace my aging 2013 iMac workhorse only to find out they repeat these awful decisions in the larger iMac. I historically go pretty easy on Apple's design decisions and am not prone to "fanboi" histrionics, but this does not bode well for the larger iMac, and Thor only knows when that will be released.  And Apple, what's your deal with not putting enough ports on anything?

I have never met a professional audio producer who would use the headphone jack for audio output. There are bucketloads of USB-C and Thunderbolt audio interfaces available, and every studio I've ever seen, from pro to bedroom, uses a proper audio interface if they're serious about their work... The headphone jack is unbalanced and not line-level, which would make monitoring for mixing and mastering professional-grade audio a nightmare... 

Also, regarding the supposed lack of ports, you can add a Caldigit Elements hub to just one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports and get 4 additional Thunderbolt 4 ports, plus 4 additional 10GB USB-A ports as well as a device that can support an 8k display or 2x4k 60hz displays... 
    I use an AudioEngine Digital to Analog converter on my iMac which runs a pair of very nice, large speakers for sound that an iMac will never reach, and during those times I prefer to keep the noise level down, that DAC also includes a headphone jack so I can enjoy rich sound from the comfort of whatever headphones I choose to use.

I'm a huge fan of Caldigit docks.  I own two, one for work office, and at home.  I purchased them after a great review that I read here on AppleInsider.  For me, they really simplify cable-management as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 219 of 283
    Someone help me on the Apple math here, please:

Boasting Apple Silicon in the form of the M1 chip, Apple says it's the fastest iMac to date. Apple says the iMac is up to 85% faster than the previous models across apps like Xcode, Lightroom, and iMovie. It also sports graphics that are up to 2 times faster than past models.
    On the face of it, "2 times faster" sounds a lot better than "85% faster" but they are pretty close, right?

If the highest-spec'ed prior-model iMac had 100 units of "fastness" and 100 units of "graphics fastness" the new one has values of "up to" 185 and "up to" 200, respectively.  Do I have that right?  And is that compared to the best iMac Pro configuration or the best non-pro config.  I'm thinking/hoping is the former.  If so, that's somewhat mind boggling.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 220 of 283
    mike54 said:
    I wonder if there would be any chance of Apple replacing the internal logic for an updated one in the future? It looks like it can be easily swapped out. Just take it into an Apple Store and have them replace it. It would be the way to go instead of ditching the whole iMac or before prematurely becoming electronic rubbish. If Apple sincerely cares about the environment this is what they would do.
    That's an interesting option.  It will be interesting to see how easy these machines are to disassemble on iFixit.

For most folks, by the time someone would even entertain the thought of swapping out the motherboard... years later, most will go for a new iMac because of other items like a newer, more advanced display.  I do like that idea though.

To me it makes sense for Apple to design one standardized motherboard layout that would fit inside any iMac and just put in whatever ASi chip/ram/SSD on it with all the screw-holes, connector locations standardized to fit in any new iMac chassis.  The Apple I know will probably make the boards just different enough to make it really difficult to pull that off just because Apple would rather have people buy new iMacs than just swapping out the motherboard "card".