Stolen Quanta documents show MacBook Pro with SD card slot, MagSafe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    ^ what he said.

You don't even need a dongle or adapter to get HDMI out of USB-C, just buy the right cable. 
    https://us.anker.com/products/a8176?currency=USD&variant=37437982572694

btw, funny thing about that ethernet port in the iMac charger that got unveiled the other day — Elevation Labs came up with the same solution for folks who need SD card slots a couple years ago. Genius! 
    https://www.elevationlab.com/products/elevationhub
    edited April 2021 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    seanj said:

most people use their phones to take photographs. 

MacBookPro

mazda 3sMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    seanj said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Sort of. Three IO ports instead of four sounds less functional to me.
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    Because given the choice DisplayPort is better than HDMI, so that’s a wasted port.
    An SD slot is pointless unless you use a camera with one; most people use their phones to take photographs. Many cameras have wireless connectivity anyway.
    With four Thunderbolt ports with could always downgrade them to an HDMI or SD if desired.
    We’re talking a “Pro” machine; SD cards are still a thing with photographers — I use it with my Canon D-SLR. And with four Thunderbolt ports, you were going to use one for power anyway. Now the power is its own dedicated port. It’s a wash. 

And if you use a Thunderbolt dock or USB-C hub (like the Caldigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt dock I use at my desk with my M1 MacBook Air), it’s even less of an issue as I just have one cable attached to my machine. With my dock, I have power, GbE, a Lightning cable to charge my iPhone, DisplayPort for my monitor, USB 3.0 for my external HDD, and an SD slot for my Canon D-SLR. 

Again, I’m not seeing how you’re getting LESS functionality here with this new setup. 
    cornchipkillroy
  • Reply 24 of 64
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I'm pretty sure AI posted these documents in the hope Apple would send them a takedown notice, confirming their authenticity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    lkrupp said:
    Way to assist criminals, Appleinsider. 
    Well, there’s no reason for Apple tp pay any ransom now. AppleInsider is releasing the stolen documents themselves without asking for a ransom.
    Exactly - the information is already out there. I'm sure AI is not the only site with access to it. What good is paying the ransom?

WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.  If REvil thinks releasing these documents hurts Apple, I think it's quite the opposite.  The ones to be hurt will be Quanta.
    My thoughts exactly - keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

seanj said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    Because given the choice DisplayPort is better than HDMI, so that’s a wasted port.
    An SD slot is pointless unless you use a camera with one; most people use their phones to take photographs. Many cameras have wireless connectivity anyway.
    With four Thunderbolt ports with could always downgrade them to an HDMI or SD if desired.
    Hardly - HDMI is still the single most common video interface out there. Every single conference room has a male HDMI cable to plug into your laptop. Sure you can get a USB C to HDMI cable but you don't find them lying around like a standard HDMI cable. I've also had problems with some of the adapters not working. As far as SD cards go, others have correctly pointed out that they are still widely used by photographers.

The whole point of a laptop is convenience - having to tote along a bunch of adapters or dongles defeats that purpose. 

entropysmazda 3sPezamuthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Did AI consult their legal council before posting these pictures? You don’t want to go down the same road as Diaz and Chen. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    mazda 3s said:
    seanj said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    We’re talking a “Pro” machine; SD cards are still a thing with photographers — I use it with my Canon D-SLR. And with four Thunderbolt ports, you were going to use one for power anyway. Now the power is its own dedicated port. It’s a wash. 

And if you use a Thunderbolt dock or USB-C hub (like the Caldigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt dock I use at my desk with my M1 MacBook Air), it’s even less of an issue as I just have one cable attached to my machine. With my dock, I have power, GbE, a Lightning cable to charge my iPhone, DisplayPort for my monitor, USB 3.0 for my external HDD, and an SD slot for my Canon D-SLR. 

Again, I’m not seeing how you’re getting LESS functionality here with this new setup. 
    I’m hoping it is an SD express port well over 3000Mbps.
    anyway, I was hoping it would have one USB-A. It could drop to two TB ports no issue.
    mazda 3s
  • Reply 28 of 64
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    entropys said:
    mazda 3s said:
    seanj said:
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:

I’m hoping it is an SD express port well over 3000Mbps.
    anyway, I was hoping it would have one USB-A. It could drop to two TB ports no issue.
    I'm holding out for an ExpressCard slot and FireWire 3200 to make a comeback. 🤞 😛
    dewmefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Did AI consult their legal council before posting these pictures? You don’t want to go down the same road as Diaz and Chen. 
    According to case law, as long as the publisher (AI in this case) didn't break any laws themselves to obtain the documents, they are free from prosecution for publishing illegally obtained documents.  Not everything that is unethical is illegal.
    killroydysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 64
    cornchip said:
    seanj said:

most people use their phones to take photographs. 

MacBookPro

I'd bet good money that professional photographers make up a tiny proportion of MacBook Pro owners.  Developers likely outnumber them at least 20 to one.  "Pro" in Apple parlance has never meant "professional photographer" or even "professional" for that matter.  It's just a name to differentiate their more powerful products from their more consumer-oriented products.  I just searched on Apple.com and the word "professional" is found virtually nowhere on the site and I couldn't find an example where they mention "professionals" as a target audience for the MacBook Pro (or iPad Pro).

asdasdfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 64
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Why is HDMI even necessary if there are Thunderbolt to HDMI cables? Seriously, that is so backward. 

USB4/TB3 is the port to rule all. I understand the inclusion of SDHC slot tho.
    dysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    netrox said:
    Why is HDMI even necessary if there are Thunderbolt to HDMI cables? Seriously, that is so backward. 

How can you understand SDHC, and not HDMI? HDMI is the de facto standard for connecting TVs, displays, projectors at home, school and the workplace. No stupid dongles to worry about. Just plug it in and go. Sure, enthusiasts will cater to DP, most of the world revolves around HDMI. 

It’s about ease of use and giving people less restrictive options and I applaud Apple for listening.  
    killroymuthuk_vanalingamasdasdAI_liasMplsP
  • Reply 33 of 64
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Am embarrassing and sensible U turn. I predict they will do the same with the iPhone if the try to remove all its ports too. 
    Customers won, telling Apple tested my how stupid their laptop ports were. Utterly impractical and driving people towards the competition which has ports built in.

Anyway a welcome comeback, and for Mag Safe at last, although that was hinted at with the new iMac anyway.
    Interesting how Apple seems to be going up in screen size on all its computers.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 64
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    netrox said:

Is that a sarcastic post? Or are you very young? HDMI ports are pretty much everywhere in both commercial, professional and consumer environments, everywhere. Because they work and are simple.

Just remember. apples computer market share is in single digits, maybe up to 11% if they are lucky. That's globally. It is in the complete and total minority to not include HDMI ports.

Its about as forward as Apple can get to include HDMI ports on their laptops.
    mazda 3smuthuk_vanalingamAI_lias
  • Reply 35 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

I'd bet good money that professional photographers make up a tiny proportion of MacBook Pro owners.  Developers likely outnumber them at least 20 to one.  

True. Good point. F those people. Why even bother putting an SD card slot? What was I thinking? That space could be much better served with a USB A slot. Way more commonly used. 

"Pro" in Apple parlance has never meant "professional photographer" or even "professional" for that matter. 

Disagree. 

dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 64
    gbdocgbdoc Posts: 83member

For me, the most striking thing about this (if it’s true) is that Apple’s been hacked. Apple hacked?!?!?! WTF? I’d’ve thought Apple would be better at data security. If they can be hacked, can’t everyone?

• Reply 37 of 64
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    I agree AppleInsider is now complicit in this crime by publishing the documents. What is the difference between this , and say, the gutter press publishing naked photos of someone who was the victim of a ransom ware and who refused to pay.
    randominternetpersonmontrosemacs
  • Reply 38 of 64
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    So while the real story here is over REvil and ransomware, AI is just gloating over the details revealed in the stolen documents for the next products. Way to go for morality, AI. I hope you are sued for using stolen property. 
  • Reply 39 of 64
    gbdoc said:

For me, the most striking thing about this (if it’s true) is that Apple’s been hacked. Apple hacked?!?!?! WTF? I’d’ve thought Apple would be better at data security. If they can be hacked, can’t everyone?

Wasn't it an Apple partner who was the victim of the theft.  It's pretty hard to get people to build stuff for you without providing them the specs.
    avon b7dysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 64
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    MagSafe is good but for me being able to plug in power on either side is a great feature.  If Apple add MagSafe back then please still allow charging via USB-C.  

SD cards may be a useful addition espeicalling if your SSD is on the small size.  You can now get a 1GB SD card for $30.  No idea on the quality, longevity or speed.
    dysamoria