New 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro can't use previous Magic Keyboard

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2021
Buyers of the new 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro will not be able to use the previous model's Magic Keyboard.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

As noted by AppleInsider after the new iPad Pro launch, Apple has been listing the Magic Keyboard as "new," prompting speculation about revisions to the design. It's now been revealed that there is a change, and it is to do with accommodating the new iPad Pro's 0.5mm thicker chassis.

According to French site iGeneration, and as spotted by 9to5 Mac, the thicker casing means that the older model cannot be closed precisely.

"The problem is that once closed, the Magic Keyboard tightens the tablet fairly closely," says iGeneration, in translation. "Apple did not leave a millimetre of flexibility, because the accessory must hold the iPad in place.."

"But with this half-millimetre more on the 2021 generation," continues the site, "perhaps this very precise adjustment is problematic and the device had to be reviewed."

The French site claims to have seen confirmation of these details via Apple Store documentation. Official sources within Apple support have now confirmed to AppleInsider that the information is correct.

Apple's Magic Keyboard for the 11-inch iPad Pro is unaffected because that model received no chassis alternations.

Updated: 08:25 ET with confirmation from Apple.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Ha! Why am I not surprised? LOL. 
    Sure you need to buy other accessories for their air tags. They couldn’t be arsed putting a hole in the tag so you could attach to a key ring. A mixture of greed and over aesthetics. 
    edited April 2021 elijahgdarkvaderchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 32
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    CiaranF said:
    Sure you need to buy other accessories for their air tags. They couldn’t be arsed putting a hole in the tag so you could attach to a key ring. A mixture of greed and over aesthetics. 
    Half my keys don’t fit on a key ring because the hole is too narrow. So I need a bunch of small rings to attach to larger rings.

Then of course, keys don’t have much of a problem with water, battery replacement, antenna, stray voltage, or electrical induction, all of which needs to be considered when designing an electronic device. 
    jas99StrangeDaysmelgrossn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    larryjw said:
    [snip]
    Then of course, keys don’t have much of a problem with water, stray voltage, or electrical induction, all of which needs to be considered when designing an electronic device. 

Ben Franklin would be surprised to learn that.

bonobobGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    larryjw said:
    CiaranF said:
    Half my keys don’t fit on a key ring because the hole is too narrow. So I need a bunch of small rings to attach to larger rings.

Then of course, keys don’t have much of a problem with water, battery replacement, antenna, stray voltage, or electrical induction, all of which needs to be considered when designing an electronic device. 
    I think this is what the OP meant by...

"They couldn’t be arsed putting a hole in the tag so you could attach to a key ring".
    WIN20-Mate-1-pack-PDI-3

chemengin1elijahg
  • Reply 5 of 32
    This is just ridiculous... I invested just last year on the keyboard and thought it was future proof for a few more models and planned on getting the new iPad from my 2018... just sad 
    darkvaderchemengin1commentsfGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 32
    This article is bogus. See Apple's product info and compatibility on their own website...

https://www.apple.com/ipad-keyboards/
    edited April 2021 u.s.g@me.comwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    GuruZac said:
    This article is bogus. See Apple's product info and compatibility on their own website...

I think your info is for the "new", updated version.  It is compatible with the three generations.  Just above the "Magic Keyboard", see the red "New" indicator?

darkvadergregoriusmcaladanianjony0GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 32
    More e-waste? I guess Apple had to do what it did to bring the awesome screen to iPad.  So I’m not upset at all, but some existing owners of magic keyboards that  were planning to upgrade might be a bit miffed that they now have to purchase a whole new “magic” keyboard. Where’s the magic if the existing one doesn’t work with new devices? 
  • Reply 9 of 32
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    More e-waste? I guess Apple had to do what it did to bring the awesome screen to iPad.  So I’m not upset at all, but some existing owners of magic keyboards that  were planning to upgrade might be a bit miffed that they now have to purchase a whole new “magic” keyboard. Where’s the magic if the existing one doesn’t work with new devices? 

The magic is the money leaving your wallet.

That keyboard/trackpad combo was already outrageously priced to begin with.  Apple would be making bank on it if they sold it for $50.  And now they pull the old "new model doesn't work with old model" stunt, and get to charge the suckers again.

Apple's current keyboards aren't even any good.  The key travel is too short, it makes for seriously uncomfortable typing.  I'm typing this on a 2012 MacBook Pro, it's right beside a 2018 MacBook Air.  The keyboard difference is night and day, the 2012 has a great keyboard, the 2018 is awful.
    Dibiaseelijahgdee_deeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 32
    I take it this also applies to the existing no-so Magic Keyboard, the folio one.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 184member, administrator, moderator, editor
    I take it this also applies to the existing no-so Magic Keyboard, the folio one.
    It doesn’t. But that seems to indicate this is more an issue with the cantilever hinge than the closing mechanism. We’ll have to test it out.

the new Magic keyboard is backwards compatible with the older iPads, so I’d assume it’s the hinge.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    GuruZac said:

Here is Apple’s support documentation https://support.apple.com/kb/SP817?locale=en_US
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I just taped a piece of cardboard to the front of my iPad and tried to close the MagicKeyboard... and it closed just fine. I suspect that this is a nonissue that's on its way to becoming the next something-gate. 
    thtmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    This is just ridiculous... I invested just last year on the keyboard and thought it was future proof for a few more models and planned on getting the new iPad from my 2018... just sad 
    LOL why would anyone buying technology today believe they were buying something "future proof"?

I bought the same iPad and keyboard case as you -- the keyboard I bought for the iPad I bought will work together perfectly for years. I wouldn't expect a case to fit another device, same as with iPhones. When I'm ready to upgrade, I will sell on eBay as I often do and people will gladly purchase it. I definitely get my money's worth, especially after the resell.

It's fine.
    edited April 2021 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32

In Apple parlance Magic refers to it working wirelessly, not magically working with all future models previously undesigned & unreleased. 

It's not e-waste. It continues to function for the task I bought it for perfectly. After years of use you may wish to consider selling and upgrading, and at that time you'll want to resell. This is nothing new.
    jony0fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32

darkvader said:

That keyboard/trackpad combo was already outrageously priced to begin with.  Apple would be making bank on it if they sold it for $50.  And now they pull the old "new model doesn't work with old model" stunt, and get to charge the suckers again.

Apple's current keyboards aren't even any good.  The key travel is too short, it makes for seriously uncomfortable typing.  I'm typing this on a 2012 MacBook Pro, it's right beside a 2018 MacBook Air.  The keyboard difference is night and day, the 2012 has a great keyboard, the 2018 is awful.
    Clueless. Apple cannot sell the Magic Keyboard (and Trackpad) for $50...you're living in a dreamworld, lad. Even the competitors are pricey, and notably in the reviews don't work as well. The MK scored very well in the reviews because it's a solid piece of engineering. Plenty of other options if you don't want one tho. Very happy with mine which gets daily use.

I also have the new desktop MK, and disagree about Apple keyboards. It' great, and I work on it all day. I don't have a 2018 MB so can't say there, but the reviewers of the current MBs say they like them again.
    Dibiasejony0fastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    DibiaseDibiase Posts: 11member
    What's even more ridiculous is Apple charging $350 for a keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don’t take my. Magic Keyboard with me anyway. To me, it’s just for Desktop use, so it will work just fine. I have other keyboards that will work.
    dewmejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    DibiaseDibiase Posts: 11member

darkvader said:

Clueless. Apple cannot sell the Magic Keyboard (and Trackpad) for $50...you're living in a dreamworld, lad. Even the competitors are pricey, and notably in the reviews don't work as well. The MK scored very well in the reviews because it's a solid piece of engineering. Plenty of other options if you don't want one tho. Very happy with mine which gets daily use.

I also have the new desktop MK, and disagree about Apple keyboards. It' great, and I work on it all day. I don't have a 2018 MB so can't say there, but the reviewers of the current MBs say they like them again.
    It is a well engineered keyboard but $350 is still ridiculous for what you are getting.  It probably cost them less than $20 to make. 
  • Reply 20 of 32
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    Dibiase said:

darkvader said:

It is a well engineered keyboard but $350 is still ridiculous for what you are getting.  It probably cost them less than $20 to make. 
    If it costs them $20 then why hasn’t a third party keyboard maker come out with one for $50?
    jony0charlesnpscooter63watto_cobra