New 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro can't use previous Magic Keyboard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    Wgkrueger said:
    If it costs them $20 then why hasn’t a third party keyboard maker come out with one for $50?
    Because they can undercut Apple at $150.  Why give up that extra $100?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member

darkvader said:

Apple's current keyboards aren't even any good.  The key travel is too short, it makes for seriously uncomfortable typing.  I'm typing this on a 2012 MacBook Pro, it's right beside a 2018 MacBook Air.  The keyboard difference is night and day, the 2012 has a great keyboard, the 2018 is awful.
    I'm typing this on my 2019 16" MBP, which is 10 feet from my 2012 rMBP.  The two keyboards feel identical.  They have dropped the awful butterfly keyboard in their newest products.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Honestly, to me, the biggest surprise was the few days where it seemed like the "old" MK would work with the new iPad Pro. This is exactly why I had my father (who wants a new iPad Pro) purchase the MK from Costco when they were on sale. And they did confirm the 90 day return policy doesn't apply (aka you can return it forever.)
    So, once this is actually really REALLY confirmed (that may mean he has both in his posession and can try it out) it'll be going back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This should not come as a surprise at all to anyone who's been plugged into Apple's iPad (and iPhone) product lines. Who doesn't have a drawer filled with all manner of "product/model specific" accessories that do not fit on any product(s) other than the ones they were specifically designed to fit on?

We're talking cases, screen covers, screen protectors, keyboards (from the old Smart Connector edge placement), charging cables, etc. Every time Apple changes any physical dimension on a product like iPad or iPhone, or changes the placement of the microphone hole, speaker hole(s), headphone jack, lanyard holder (remember these on iPod Touch?), camera layout, or physical properties of said things, the probability of old accessories built specifically for specific products changing is extremely likely.

Designing new products/accessories with backward compatibility in mind is a difficult challenge because it can be a boat anchor that holds you back from changing things you really want to change. But forward compatibility, or making accommodations for product that do not currently exist can be near impossible, especially when the products/accessories are highly specific to a current product. This is common sense, unless you forcibly constrain the designers hands and say something like all auto headlights shall be round and of a certain size - remember those days? We all want shiny new products and we all want to be impressed with constant improvements in products, especially Apple branded ones.

The schools of "Shiny New" and "Impress Me Again" design come with costs, some of which include rapid obsolescence and growing piles of sunk cost. If sunk costs really bother you too much you'll have to force yourself to stay on the sidelines and watch all the Shiny New toys going to their new homes with people who are not you. If you want to stay in the Shiny New class, you'll need to put concerns about sunk costs behind you, or at best, try to recoup some of these by reselling or trading in your Not So Shiny Old toys for a fraction of what you paid for them. Consumerism is a pay-to-play sport.

The frustrating thing in this particular case is that the "shiny new" Magic Keyboard looks a hell of a lot like the old Magic Keyboard and the screen is advertised as being the same size. But the overall product dimensions aren't the same. If they had made the new iPad Pro a half inch taller or a quarter inch wider nobody would say a thing because it would be obvious to even casual observer that the old accessory wasn't compatible (or partially compatible) with the new device. The end result and wallet hit would still be the same, you'd still be buying a new Magic Keyboard, but I suppose you'd be grumbling about something else instead.

Anyone looking for some iPod Touch 2nd Gen, iPhone 4s, or iPad 1 cases or a edge connected iPad Pro 12.9" keyboard or smart cover?
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    bonobob said:
    I'm typing this on my 2019 16" MBP, which is 10 feet from my 2012 rMBP.  The two keyboards feel identical.  They have dropped the awful butterfly keyboard in their newest products.
    Seriously?

There is a big difference in travel between my MBP16 and my old 2015 MBP. I much prefer the 2015 keyboard.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    darkvader said:
    More e-waste? I guess Apple had to do what it did to bring the awesome screen to iPad.  So I’m not upset at all, but some existing owners of magic keyboards that  were planning to upgrade might be a bit miffed that they now have to purchase a whole new “magic” keyboard. Where’s the magic if the existing one doesn’t work with new devices? 

The magic is the money leaving your wallet.

That keyboard/trackpad combo was already outrageously priced to begin with.  Apple would be making bank on it if they sold it for $50.  And now they pull the old "new model doesn't work with old model" stunt, and get to charge the suckers again.

Apple's current keyboards aren't even any good.  The key travel is too short, it makes for seriously uncomfortable typing.  I'm typing this on a 2012 MacBook Pro, it's right beside a 2018 MacBook Air.  The keyboard difference is night and day, the 2012 has a great keyboard, the 2018 is awful.
    And you didn't notice this "night and day" difference in the "awful" 2018 keyboard when you bought the MacBook Air? For a company you seem to hate, why do you keep giving your money to Apple? PLENTY of cheap PCs out there... it's not like you don't have a choice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Well... THIS finally explains the sale that Amazon has been running on the "old" Magic Keyboard. I kept looking at that and thinking, "Since when is there a $100 discount on a relatively new Apple accessory? Something's up." And here's another clue to a coming change: BOTH the 11" and 12.9" Magic keyboards are "New," even though the old version fits the new 11" Pro just fine. That suggests the next update to the 11" Pro will include the new mini-LED screen, and the "new" Magic Keyboard is already spec'd to fit. I see no other explanation for introducing a new version of the 11" keyboard. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    William, thanks for the heads up.  Not happy as I’m really considering the new 12.9 iPad Pro and based on earlier reports, it appeared the 2020 magic keyboard would fit
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I traced out and cut heavy card stock measured as being .65mm, using my 3rd gen 12.9” IPad Pro as a template.  Measured with a pair of calipers that are accurate to .01mm.   Placed the card stock in between the keyboard on my magic keyboard and installed my IPad Pro back into the magic keyboard.  Closed the case.  

No issues whatsoever.   I even added a 2nd piece of thinner card stock,  .22 millimeters, along with the .65mm card stock.    So almost .90 mm.

No issues.    

Not going to replace my old magic keyboard.   Guess I’ll know in a month or so if it works fine.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Is it incompatible with or simply cannot be used as a case due to the new iPad pros thicker design?   That is a big difference because you could still use it just fine, just not travel with it with the iPad Pro inside.   Pretty heavy as a travel Accessory to start with, so a far lesser problem than false outrage would suggest.  Hey it would have been nice if it was designed overly thick in the last years.  NOT - lakshemash (bow to Borat)
  • Reply 31 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Is it incompatible with or simply cannot be used as a case due to the new iPad pros thicker design?   That is a big difference because you could still use it just fine, just not travel with it with the iPad Pro inside.   Pretty heavy as a travel Accessory to start with, so a far lesser problem than false outrage would suggest.  Hey it would have been nice if it was designed overly thick in the last years.  NOT - lakshemash (bow to Borat)
    It is possible that the 2020 Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 12.9 does not perform to Apple's standards, yet it still works ok. Just wait and see.

My daughter uses a SwitchEasy case for her 2020 iPad Pro 11 with a Magic Keyboard. It works fine. Closes and opens fine. However, it definitely is fatter when closed. For a 2021 iPad Pro 2021 and a 2020 Magic Keyboard, I would guess you can't use a SwitchEasy case with it and would have to use it bare with the 2020 Magic Keyboard. Doable, but the hinge probably won't get entirely to the closed position, and therefore not to Apple's standards.

A 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 with a 2020 Magic Keyboard probably will look like a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9, a SwitchEasy case, and a 2020 Magic Keyboard. So, assuming the camera protrusion is the same, it'll behave like that. A SwitchEasy case with a 2020 Magic Keyboard and a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9, a no go.

Just wait and see.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    charlesn said:
    darkvader said:
    More e-waste? I guess Apple had to do what it did to bring the awesome screen to iPad.  So I’m not upset at all, but some existing owners of magic keyboards that  were planning to upgrade might be a bit miffed that they now have to purchase a whole new “magic” keyboard. Where’s the magic if the existing one doesn’t work with new devices? 

The magic is the money leaving your wallet.

That keyboard/trackpad combo was already outrageously priced to begin with.  Apple would be making bank on it if they sold it for $50.  And now they pull the old "new model doesn't work with old model" stunt, and get to charge the suckers again.

And you didn't notice this "night and day" difference in the "awful" 2018 keyboard when you bought the MacBook Air? For a company you seem to hate, why do you keep giving your money to Apple? PLENTY of cheap PCs out there... it's not like you don't have a choice. 
    Some of us basically have Stockholm syndrome.

I can’t wait these people crying & abandoning the platform for good.
    watto_cobra