Apple burns early iPad Pro adopters, loyal customers with Magic Keyboard incompatibility

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Nope.

2020 iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard user here. I disagree completely with the article.

If I wanted to upgrade to a 2021 iPad Pro I would just buy the new Magic Keyboard.

People who would upgrade from a 2020 iPad Pro to a 2021 iPad Pro will in the main sell their old one on, the same applies to the old Magic Keyboard. No issue. I would also say that there is absolutely no reason why people need to upgrade from a 2020 to a 2021, the 2020 iPad Pro is still incredible and will do whatever anyone wants. There are no iPad apps that require the M1 Power yet and the nicer display is a nicety for a want, but not a need. Imho.

As AutigerMark says, I do not expect an accesory for a 2020 product to always work with a 2021 product. On the occasion it does, it’s a win but I would rather Apple didn’t stop innovating just so an accessory lasts for more than a single years product line.

viclauyycsdw2001macplusplusqwerty52dewmen2itivguymike1pscooter63kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 109
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Yeah count me among those who disagree.  Future compatibility is never guaranteed.  Who are we worried about here, people who bought it and the 2020 pro who now want to upgrade already?  Um, as others have said, sell the damn things.  Or just keep what you have.  And I bet that if you want to upgrade that quickly, you don’t care if you need new accessories.  This like buying a $120 case for your iPhone and then complaining when they change the form factor next year.  I’d never assume any accessory would work with future models.  
    edited April 2021 macpluspluswillettqwerty52dewmen2itivguyMisterKitmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 109
    It's not a $350 case.  It's a $350 keyboard and trackpad.  It's also only one year old.
    Respectfully, it is a keyboard/case/stand - manufactured to fit precise dimensions, close to specific thickness, and with magnets tuned to hold a specific weight.
    edited April 2021 dewmen2itivguypscooter63glennhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Is the author new to Apple? 

I’m a long time buy of Apple stuff and I was and early adopter of the Magic Keyboard and as an early adopter I damn well knew what I was signing up for. Does it suck that the Magic Keyboard won’t work with a new iPad? Yes. Did I k ow this was a distinct possibility when I bought it? Yes. Am I throwing a hissy fit because it won’t? No. 

I’m a big boy, I knew the risk I was taking. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 25 of 109
    I’m considering the new maxed out 12.9 iPad and I have the 2018 maxed 12.9. But this little fact definitely made me put the purchase on hold. The iPad I want is incredibly expensive. I don’t feel like tacking on another 350. And that’s how I have used my current one-with the fancy Apple keyboard case, and I like it. Maybe I’ll just continue enjoying it until I’m absolutely sure I need a new one. 
    Oferdewmemarc gglennh
  • Reply 26 of 109
    ralphieralphie Posts: 102member
    dewme said:
    As a designer you have to make the call.

Do I hobble my new product to maintain compatibility with an accessory (an expensive one) designed for the last version of the product, or do I design the new product with as few compromises as possible?

Option 3. Make the new one larger for no technical reason, just to intentionally obsolete current accessories.
    Oferelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Life is a gamble.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 109
    tpurdytpurdy Posts: 40member
    I wish the new magic keyboard at least did something new. Data transfer through the keyboard port and smart connector would be nice. I swap out my MacBook and iPad when plugging into a dock with external monitor and it feels funny sticking out the side of the pad and the keyboard’s port is much nicer... (improved extended display support would be nice too please!).  

On a similar note, when the new iPad OS & MacOS come out I would love Sidecar to support the magic keyboard’s trackpad. Supporting only the keyboard? You’re being silly. 
    dysamoriaJapheyelijahgbrertechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Thanks Neil for writing this article and I’m happy you’re back with Apple Insider.  I too hope Apple offers a trade in program.  A bit sketchy that this comes out a couple days after the announcements.  Also agree with some others that I’d like Apple to explain why the 2020 Magic Keyboard does not work.
    ITGUYINSDmarc gbrertechkkqd1337
  • Reply 30 of 109
    This is wrong, just flat out wrong. Making the tablet thicker is no reason to make my MK incompatible. Now I gotta sell my 2020 model and MK and buy a tab S8 plus because Sammy would never do us like this. 
    elijahgkkqd1337
  • Reply 31 of 109
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Just sell the keyboard along with your old iPad Pro. 
    You mean "just lose more money"?  Can't sell my MK for what I paid, so I lose money there.  Then have to buy the new MK at full price.  

It's bad enough paying the ridiculous prices for the iPad Pro.
    I disagree. There are many instances where add-on hardware doesn’t work well or at all with the next version of something. Take cars for example, you get the accessories that fit that year and model, you don’t take it out when you want to sell it to use in the following year’s model. When RAM and storage was upgradable in Mac you might be able to take it to the next one, but you might not. 
    I’m sure you got use out of your iPad Pro and keyboard, wrote articles or whatever to generate money, so I can hardly agree that you are losing money. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to the latest iPad Pro. I’m sure your device will work just fine tomorrow as it does today. I’m still using an iPad mini 2 and a MacBook Pro retina 2014. They’re old, but still work. 
    Sorry you feel burned but don’t assume that others feel the same way. Like someone else said they is most likely an engineering reason why they are not compatible. I am quite certain that an iPad Pro with the keyboard will sell much better and higher premium than one without. Or do what many do, use your device longer until you have the money to get the new ones. 
    But I never expect being able to install my add-on’s on my next device if the do, bonus, but don’t expect commoditized components from a premium product. Pro means getting the best and leaving behind the rest, including keyboards from older models. 
    edited April 2021 willettmacplusplusmarc gMisterKitsdw2001kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 109
    ralphie said:
    dewme said:
    As a designer you have to make the call.

Do I hobble my new product to maintain compatibility with an accessory (an expensive one) designed for the last version of the product, or do I design the new product with as few compromises as possible?

Option 3. Make the new one larger for no technical reason, just to intentionally obsolete current accessories.
    The new iPad is thicker because of the mini-LED display.
    marc gpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 109
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 111member
    It’s a pain in the ass but honestly, Apple willing to just break with the past is the reason they excel in so many areas.   Just look at Microsoft and Dell as examples of companies that bend over backwards for backwards compatibility and as a result have crap products.

Intel Mac Pro, garbage can Mac Pro, 1st Gen Pencil, 1st Gen Apple Watch,   Aperture, the list goes on and on.   Everyone should know by now there are no guarantees going forward. 

I’m surprised no one has complained that the $5K XDR display technology is now in a $1100 iPad.  You know what’s coming next right?
    dewmewillettmarc gMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Now I gotta sell my 2020 model and MK and buy a tab S8 plus because Sammy would never do us like this. 
    I trust this is sarcasm, because Samsung obsoletes their hardware just as fast as every other Android hardware company. Their devices have historically received one major version upgrade at most.

I believe they’re finally addressing this with future hardware, but I doubt they’ll support their devices for the 4-5 years Apple does.
    qwerty52dysamoriamacplusplusmarc gwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 109
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    davgreg said:
    Rayz2016 said: Apple knows that no one who bought the last generation iPad Pro is going to be looking to buy another one just yet. 
    Not so fast on speculating
    I will be upgrading from the current to the new, but will be going from 256 GB and WiFi to 1TB and 5G. I think at this point I will be getting out of the laptop space (MacBooks of any type) and just using desktop Macs and an iPad Pro.
    My partner and I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air as the two main personal computing devices. We also have a desktop (headless), but due to the laptop it generally just sits there not doing much other than offloaded development and other server activities.

If I could perform development work just on the iPad (call it a Pro) then I would definitely shift away from needing any laptop and move to a desktop + iPad Pro setup like yourself. Here’s to hoping for some pretty significant iPadOS updates at WWDC.

So silly little accessory issues like this do grab the attention as it will impact investment decisions.
    dewmemarc g
  • Reply 36 of 109
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Sorry but I don’t think a person can reasonably expect a fitment-specific accessory designed to for generation A to also fit generation B.  Doesn’t matter how expensive it is.

When I buy a case for an iPhone it’s with the understanding that it’s (likely) only going to 100% fit the iPhone I’m buying.
    That’s a case. They don’t usually cost hundreds of dollars.
    elijahgbrertech
  • Reply 37 of 109
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Anyone have a recommendation for people who have the ORIGINAL iPad Pro 12.9” and the original crappy keyboard/folio? The lettering on mine started wearing off after three months and I didn’t think to take it to Apple to complain (?? WTF was wrong with me??). Now the entire home row is almost blank, the material is bunching up, the connection is unstable, keys repeat (which is extremely maddening when trying to close ONE tab closes ALL tabs)...

I’m not looking to buy a brand new iPad Pro AND $350 keyboard (I’m waiting to spend my hard-saved wad of cash on a new desktop Mac that’s not an all-in-one, with a display that hopefully can work with a new PC for gaming, since Bootcamp is on the way out). The things I do with my iPad Pro aren’t screaming for a new device, even if the new features sound cool.
    elijahg
  • Reply 38 of 109
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    My Smart Keyboard failed at 14-16 months.    $169 of garbage.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 109
    I completely agree with the writer.  I found the price offensive when it came out. I have the 2018 pro and was sure I was going to upgrade.  Now… forget it.  Not unless they give on this. The blatant greed in this move is disgusting. 
    ITGUYINSDelijahgbrertechrogifan_newkkqd1337MplsPdysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 109
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    dysamoria said:
    Anyone have a recommendation for people who have the ORIGINAL iPad Pro 12.9” and the original crappy keyboard/folio? The lettering on mine started wearing off after three months and I didn’t think to take it to Apple to complain (?? WTF was wrong with me??). Now the entire home row is almost blank, the material is bunching up, the connection is unstable, keys repeat (which is extremely maddening when trying to close ONE tab closes ALL tabs)...

I’m not looking to buy a brand new iPad Pro AND $350 keyboard (I’m waiting to spend my hard-saved wad of cash on a new desktop Mac that’s not an all-in-one, with a display that hopefully can work with a new PC for gaming, since Bootcamp is on the way out). The things I do with my iPad Pro aren’t screaming for a new device, even if the new features sound cool.
    I’m in the same exact position with my original iPad Pro 12.9” with a Smart Keyboard that’s gone dumb on me and disconnects randomly. Yeah, I’ve jumped through all the hardware and software hoops but nothing seems to fix it for more than a short while. The screen also has a slightly brighter spot in one area but nothing bad - yet.

Here’s the thing, I use an iPad to control my home theatre system using an app I found on the App Store. It works wonderfully with my older AV receiver which was a godsend because the bazillion button remote died completely. The app works perfectly well on an old iPad 2 I still have and it sits on a mechanical stand (caveman level technology). But now that I’ve been having issues with the iPad Pro 12.9” I’ve relegated it to serving as the AV controller and it’s on the stand. So it’s basically replacing an iPad 2 for its main role. But I also use it for web, email, low stress stuff from the nearby chair so it’s not completely out to pasture.

Most of the comments here lambasting Apple are understandable but have little to do with technology. Most of it is sunk cost bias and other issues that we have to deal with as humans. Nobody is immune from it. Folks who want to know exactly why Apple couldn’t make the new iPad Pro work with the old Magic Keyboard (why? why? why?) aren’t going to be satisfied no matter what Apple says, unless you’re one of those folks who needs “closure” on things that you cannot control or prevent. If your goldfish dies, knowing the cause of death will not bring that fish back. It may help you with your next fish, assuming you can control the thing that caused the current fish’s death.

Unless we can force Apple to change its design approach and put a stronger priority on making new products compatible with old accessories, or at least expensive old accessories, there’s nothing to be gained from reaching closure by knowing why the old Magic Keyboard doesn’t work with the new iPad Pro. 
    MisterKitspock1234fastasleep