New Apple TV Siri Remote incompatible with some tvOS games

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    applguy said:
    Which game that regularly play on your Apple TV is impacted by this? And as a long time gamer, do you honestly only play with the Apple remote? You don’t have an XBox or PS controller?
    I’m also a long time game since the Atari 2600. The obvious Apple TV games impacted are Tennis and Bowling. There is also a decent pool game, Cueist. Different driving games and jet ski style games. A really good game is Galaxy on Fire playing at 1080, 60fps. 

The Xbox controller does not have motion sensors. I don’t know about the PS controllers. The other option is using an iPhone as controller. 
    The intent of my question is to measure actual impact not theoretical impact. Using your example, you name two specific games one of which doesn't actually require motion sensors for use. I'm not sure about Cueist. So the real world impact so far is maybe one game?
  • Reply 42 of 56
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    The apple TV siri remote was always a POS. Had 2 because one of my ATVs died (wasnt happy about that). We've managed to break both remotes on the tile. Using glass for a remote is not wise. I had a feeling they would make, and was hoping for, a remote just like this one. Going to preorder it next week.

I think the ATV sucks for games but the controller was definitely a hard suck
    12Strangers
  • Reply 43 of 56
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:
    elijahg said:
    Beats said:
    I HAD A FUC*ING FEELING THIS PIECE OF SHI* HAD FUNCTIONALITY LIKE THE GYROSCOPE REMOVED.

HARD HARD PASS. 
    What kind of gamer uses a dopey remote as a controller? If this is a deal breaker for you, you weren't into games anyway. 
    A casual one. The exact kind of gamer Apple is targeting, apparently.

He must have never heard of the Wii which sold  100 million units even while Nintendo axed it during its prime.
    Probably not, it seems his entire world is Apple, in his world there are no competitors who - sacrilege - Apple might learn from.

That was a massive mistake by Nintendo. I remember for months no one could get their hands on a Wii, it was a craze at one point. Not much chance of the AppleTV becoming a craze.
    Beats
  • Reply 44 of 56
    applguy said:
    Which game that regularly play on your Apple TV is impacted by this? And as a long time gamer, do you honestly only play with the Apple remote? You don’t have an XBox or PS controller?
    I’m also a long time game since the Atari 2600. The obvious Apple TV games impacted are Tennis and Bowling. There is also a decent pool game, Cueist. Different driving games and jet ski style games. A really good game is Galaxy on Fire playing at 1080, 60fps. 

The Xbox controller does not have motion sensors. I don’t know about the PS controllers. The other option is using an iPhone as controller. 
    I'd forgotten about the bowling and tennis games; the nunchuck-style games that were (going to be) popular on tvOS but now not possible. 

The PS4 controllers do have a gyro and accelerometer, but Apple doesn't provide support for those in tvOS. The touchpad does nothing when it could operate the same as the (old) AppleTV remote. Plus they have dual rumble motors too but again nothing supports them either. Oh and in typical Apple fashion, they overload one button with too many things, you have to hold down the PS button to go home, whilst a single press shows the control centre. Why are they that way around?! Home is used all the time, control centre is not, so you end up accidentally activating the control centre all the time. Even more ridiculous is that there are 3 other buttons on the remote that are never used, which could be used instead of overloading the one PS button. It's absurd. Whichever idiot within Apple decided to overload the PS button the way they did should be fired.
    Beatsapplguy
  • Reply 45 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    I HAD A FUC*ING FEELING THIS PIECE OF SHI* HAD FUNCTIONALITY LIKE THE GYROSCOPE REMOVED.

HARD HARD PASS. 
    What kind of gamer uses a dopey remote as a controller? If this is a deal breaker for you, you weren't into games anyway. 

Been playing games all my life and probably played more games than people here. Heck it made me anti-social.

you’re missing the point. Apple is INTENTIONALLY leaving out gaming. Something they’re more capable of doing than Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, NVidia, etc.

This new Apple TV and crappy remote are a kick of dirt in our faces who have stuck with Apple during their game-less TV days. 

I’ve owned a console since I was 6 and recently stopped owning one and mostly game on iPhone when I have time. Like I said, I games too much and it ruined parts of my life so I’m slowing down now.

These “you don’t own a games console?!” Replies are excuses to give Apple a pass.

The point is that Apple does not care about gaming though they are perfectly capable. More capable than Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc. I would even argue that Apple TV is a better games console than the mainstream consoles MINUS the actual games. ߤ榺wj;♂️ 

I have about 40 games loaded on my Apple TV about 5 are affected. There’s a game I wanted to play with the kids called Chicken Jump(if it’s even still in the store) where you can hold the remote to your hip and jump over obstacles.  I haven’t gotten around to playing their “flagship” game Beat Sports which was the game Apple bragged about most during last gen reveal.

I shouldn’t have to buy an Xbox to get “the gaming experience” when I have a capable box already. This is inexcusable.

applguy said:

The intent of my question is to measure actual impact not theoretical impact. Using your example, you name two specific games one of which doesn't actually require motion sensors for use. I'm not sure about Cueist. So the real world impact so far is maybe one game?

The biggest game in Apple TV, Real Racing used it.

This misses the point. There’s 2:

1. Apple removed an invisible feature. I don’t know why you guys complain about it existing if it never affected you and you wouldn’t have known it was there if they kept it in the new remote.

2. Apple is INTENTIONALLY ignoring gaming in the Apple TV. The Wii for example used motion control in about 1,000 games. Many great and many AAA titles.

These replies are excuses to defend Apple’s anti-gamer decisions. Even Apple Arcade probes Apple doesn’t care about Apple TV/high end gaming as those games are aimed at casual iPhone gamers.

I would argue that an M1 Apple TV could destroy this new gen’s consoles easily. These consoles are stuck at x86 also. And Switch which uses a shi*ty ARM processor is already less capable than last gens Apple TV 4K. Yet Switch has outstanding games (Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Doom) is outselling all consoles.
    edited April 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 46 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

HARD HARD PASS. 

Been playing games all my life and probably played more games than people here. Heck it made me anti-social.

you’re missing the point. Apple is INTENTIONALLY leaving out gaming. Something they’re more capable of doing than Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, NVidia, etc.

This new Apple TV and crappy remote are a kick of dirt in our faces who have stuck with Apple during their game-less TV days. 

I’ve owned a console since I was 6 and recently stopped owning one and mostly game on iPhone when I have time. Like I said, I games too much and it ruined parts of my life so I’m slowing down now.

These “you don’t own a games console?!” Replies are excuses to give Apple a pass.

The point is that Apple does not care about gaming though they are perfectly capable. More capable than Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc. I would even argue that Apple TV is a better games console than the mainstream consoles MINUS the actual games. 🤦‍♂️ 

I have about 40 games loaded on my Apple TV about 5 are affected. There’s a game I wanted to play with the kids called Chicken Jump(if it’s even still in the store) where you can hold the remote to your hip and jump over obstacles.  I haven’t gotten around to playing their “flagship” game Beat Sports which was the game Apple bragged about most during last gen reveal.

I shouldn’t have to buy an Xbox to get “the gaming experience” when I have a capable box already. This is inexcusable.
    Since you obviously have the old Siri Remote in your possession, this doesn't affect you at all.  Get a grip.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said: Why is the remote so thick? Is it full of air?
    They moved the Siri button to the side of the remote. It also works better ergonomically, as the thicker sides make it easier to grasp when it's lying on a flat surface.
    So it is full of air. Space that could have housed a gyroscope, U1 and Taptic Engine.

crowley said:
    They moved the Siri button to the side of the remote. It also works better ergonomically, as the thicker sides make it easier to grasp when it's lying on a flat surface.
    Yeah, the thinness was something that was often complained about.  Now the shrill contrary crowd are complaining that it's gotten thicker.  Figures.

You can check my post history, I always praised the Siri Remote. It’s a piece of art.

“Thinness” was complained about because it was easy to lose. A U1 chip could have solved that. A cheap speaker could have provided feedback for “Hey, Siri” as in “Hey, Siri where’s my remote?” “Beep Beep! Here I am!” Remember, the Wii Remote had a cheap speaker and expensive gyroscopes in 2006 for $40. No way Apple couldn’t have these things at $60 in 2021, 15 years later. 
    edited April 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 48 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Yeah, the thinness was something that was often complained about.  Now the shrill contrary crowd are complaining that it's gotten thicker.  Figures.

You can check my post history, I always praised the Siri Remote. It’s a piece of art.

“Thinness” was complained about because it was easy to lose. A U1 chip could have solved that. A cheap speaker could have provided feedback for “Hey, Siri” as in “Hey, Siri where’s my remote?” “Beep Beep! Here I am!” Remember, the Wii Remote had a cheap speaker and expensive gyroscopes in 2006 for $40. No way Apple couldn’t have these things at $60 in 2021, 15 years later. 
    No, the thinness was mostly complained about because it was awkward to use and sharp in the hand.  
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Beats said: And Switch which uses a shi*ty ARM processor is already less capable than last gens Apple TV 4K. Yet Switch has outstanding games (Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Doom) is outselling all consoles.
    It's not just about the SoC though. It's about the customer expectations. A customer who buys a Switch or Xbox or Playstation is expecting to pay $60-$70 per game if they're AAA quality from major publishers and $20-30 for indie games. Apple's mobile devices have never supported pricing like that and neither does Apple Arcade. That's why AAA console level games that show up on iOS/iPadOS tend to be 360/PS3 era or earlier, or don't support all the same features as the console version (like the current NBA 2K21 Arcade Edition on Apple Arcade).
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

HARD HARD PASS. 

The point is that Apple does not care about gaming though they are perfectly capable. More capable than Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft etc. I would even argue that Apple TV is a better games console than the mainstream consoles MINUS the actual games. ߤ榺wj;♂️ 

applguy said:

1. Apple removed an invisible feature. I don’t know why you guys complain about it existing if it never affected you and you wouldn’t have known it was there if they kept it in the new remote.

2. Apple is INTENTIONALLY ignoring gaming in the Apple TV. The Wii for example used motion control in about 1,000 games. Many great and many AAA titles.

These replies are excuses to defend Apple’s anti-gamer decisions. Even Apple Arcade probes Apple doesn’t care about Apple TV/high end gaming as those games are aimed at casual iPhone gamers.

I would argue that an M1 Apple TV could destroy this new gen’s consoles easily. These consoles are stuck at x86 also. And Switch which uses a shi*ty ARM processor is already less capable than last gens Apple TV 4K. Yet Switch has outstanding games (Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Doom) is outselling all consoles.
    When did I complain about these features? Oh right, I didn’t. For whatever reason you made that up. It’s a little hard to have a rational conversation with someone is straight up dishonest. 

The point is Apple is removing features that aren’t commonly used because the money and effort put into something people don’t use is better applied elsewhere.  By your own admission you don’t use them but here you are going full on chicken little over the change. 
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

HARD HARD PASS. 

applguy said:

When did I complain about these features? Oh right, I didn’t. For whatever reason you made that up. It’s a little hard to have a rational conversation with someone is straight up dishonest. 

The point is Apple is removing features that aren’t commonly used because the money and effort put into something people don’t use is better applied elsewhere.  By your own admission you don’t use them but here you are going full on chicken little over the change. 
    So exactly where has the whole $1 for a gyro gone instead? Other than share buybacks of course.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Guys don't tell me you don't have iPhones! Just use that as your controller, it's way nicer to hold sideways anyway and yes, it also has a gyroscope built in.
    I'm surprised nobody use their iPhones to control the TV. You absolutely don't need the remote to act as a controller.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    elijahg said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

HARD HARD PASS. 

applguy said:

So exactly where has the whole $1 for a gyro gone instead? Other than share buybacks of course.
    Share buybacks would be more productive than a feature people don’t use. And seriously, that’s that best you have for complaining? Please try to do better. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 54 of 56
    elijahg said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

HARD HARD PASS. 

applguy said:

Share buybacks would be more productive than a feature people don’t use. And seriously, that’s that best you have for complaining? Please try to do better. 
    Except evidently people do use it. And more productive to whom exactly? Apple customers benefit in what way from share buybacks? Oh I have a lot more, your dismissal simply proves you can't see the bigger picture. 
  • Reply 55 of 56
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I’m quite excited about this new Apple TV 4K. Definitely getting one as my current 3rd Gen Apple TV is no longer supported by YouTube. As well as other issues recently, especially with the Netflix app. It’s served me well mind. With only my iPhone and Apple Watch getting more use, and they’re in need of an upgrade now too (8 Plus and 2nd Gen Watch!) and I’m not a gamer so this new remote is all good to me!
  • Reply 56 of 56
    I didn't even know that the old remote had an accelerometer or gyroscope. In retrospect: What dumb features to build into that useless remote when you can't even tell which direction you are holding it in the dark! It failed at being a remote control and at being a game controller. Glad someone smacked some sense into the designers.