Compared: 24-inch M1 iMac vs 21.5-inch and 27-inch Intel iMac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Marvin said:
    The front is all glass and the colored part at the bottom must be like the back of an iPhone. The reflections in the video are the full size of the display:
    This makes sense because putting wifi/bluetooth in an enclosed metal chin with a display above would probably affect the signal.
    I think it is very likely that the radio antennas are behind the Apple logo in the back. The logo material is either plastic or ceramic. If not there, they might be coiled in front of the speakers which are also open to the outside. WiFi and Bluetooth signals aren't going through the display as isn't there a metal substrate that the display lights, LCD and film layers are mounted on? And the EMI doesn't sound like fun.

Marvin said:.
    Peza said:
    Sorry no, the XDR display has no room inside and runs very hot, hence cooling fans inside and the back being full of holes.
    Any new 32" iMac will be the exact same design as the new 24" iMac because Apple is obsessed with thinness. Also you need to remember that M1 in the iPad Pro has no active cooking so will run slower and it hasn't got all the thunderbolt and USB C to handle.
    The heat from the XDR display is due to the sustained brightness and the design of the panels. An iMac wouldn't need to sustain that brightness level. It can even use a standard display with the same enclosure design.

Apple might use the liquid XDR in the iPad Pro in higher-end Macs - 1000 nits and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio but no active cooling needed. The display used in the 24" would be fine though - 500 nits P3 gamut.
    Yup. The Pro Display XDR runs about 105 Watts in XDR mode that can crank out 1600 nits of brightness and has an internal power supply. That will need a fan.

For upcoming devices with miniLED displays, such as the Apple Silicon MBP16, MBP14, iMac 30, and the "cheaper" external monitor, they will likely have 500 nits or less, more or less like the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9. Power per square display area will go down by about 50% or more relative to the Pro Display XDR. Also makes it a lot more affordable. The Pro Display XDR and its 1600 nits are going to remain at the $6K halo price, even though it will have less local dimming zones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Removing the SD slot from a desktop computer aimed at creative professionals is unforgivable. 

Many need to offload gigabytes of data regularly and are now stuck in dongle hell. On an iMac. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Removing the SD slot from a desktop computer aimed at creative professionals is unforgivable. 

Many need to offload gigabytes of data regularly and are now stuck in dongle hell. On an iMac. 
    Yes, because reaching around to the back of the iMac or turning the iMac around was convenient. I’m sure that with time as money professionals, they already have a better solution of a dongle, hub or dock instead of dealing with the SD card slot on the back. I’m sure this will meet the needs of some professionals, however some professionals and power users will wait for more power and RAM anyhow. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    entropys said:
    Bottom line, the M1 is fine for the base model iMac, but will need moar! for the replacement for the 27 inch iMac. A lot Moarrrrr!

And that power brick idea needs a fair bit more thought. Why not a TB hub if a more powerful and capable chip can be offered?
    Yep, if Thunderbolt can power a MBP with basically the same CPU why can’t. It power these desktops.

That said I love the colors and the design including the chin.   Looking forward to the larger model and hopefully an iMacPro version.   Alas I don’t expect the later to come in all these colors.  Only question is how iPad apps will look running on it.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    entropys said:
    Bottom line, the M1 is fine for the base model iMac, but will need moar! for the replacement for the 27 inch iMac. A lot Moarrrrr!

And that power brick idea needs a fair bit more thought. Why not a TB hub if a more powerful and capable chip can be offered?
    That power brick shouldn’t exist. An AIO should be an AIO. Ethernet, headphone jack/line-in and a single USB-A port should be on the back beside the two USB4 ports. The machine should be marginally thicker to accommodate them.

And decidedly colourless iMac Pro with the black bezel should have at least 4 USB4 ports, 2 USB-A ports, SD-Card, Ethernet and headphone jack/line in. With at least 6 USB4 ports on the higher end Pro model.

What’s more, both iMac and iMac Pro should include a Qi charger area built into the iMac foot-stand, make it magnetic if they must, but it’s an obvious oversight to miss this opportunity. Some creative thinking would allow the area to charge an iPhone whether the iMac is powered On, in sleep mode or shut down, but plugged in. Come on, Apple, some real innovative please.
    edited April 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 26 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

SD Card will be reserved for a marginally thicker Pro model as Apple figures out a way to upsell iMac users to a pro model that provides ports they had previously on a regular iMac. If there is no pro model then Apple has lost their mind and isn’t living in the real world. Dongles and hubs are horseshit.
    MacQuadra840avelijahgMplsP
  • Reply 27 of 39
    The white bezels.  Why do you think Apple switched to black in 2007?  Better on the eyes.  Don't compare iPods, iPhones, and the all white iMac G4s and iMac G5s to these pastel colored 24" iMacs with a white bezel.  Big difference when the entire computer is white.  The colored iMacs were cute for about a year, then Apple discontinued them.  

Not a fair comparison of the cost of these various iMac models, especially pointing out the $8K price tag of the 27" iMac, when NO ONE buys a 27" iMac with upgraded memory from Apple.  Apple charges $2,600 for 128GB of RAM.  OWC charges $629 for the same 128GB RAM upgrade, and the 27" has user-upgradable memory.  Something all new Macs no longer have, therefore increasing the price of the new models over the Intel models, especially if they do start to offer 32, 64, 128.  

You can already see the writing on the wall.  The 27" iMac replacement will have less memory, less storage, and less ports, and the inability to drive two external displays up to 6K.  You will have dongles hanging off your iMac so you could plug in your existing USB-A devices, such as printers, scanners, etc.  The headphone jack on the side?  The last thing I want is a cord sticking out of the side for my powered speakers with subwoofer, which will always sound better than Apple's internal speakers.  The loss of the SD slot.  I don't want a dongle to plug in an SD card, that I use very often with my DSLR camera.  And still no height adjustment, unless you do the VESA option.  I guess most will have to invest in a Thunderbolt dock to sit on their desk to make up for the lack of ports.

"It shows how good Apple's integrated GPU is against discrete GPUs."  'Good enough' still falls short compared to discrete graphics.  Even the discrete graphics upgrade in the 21.5" model beats the M1, and the upgraded graphics in the 27" smokes the M1.  The M1 graphics are fine in a base model MacBook, but removing the discrete graphics in the 24" model is a loss, especially at what Apple is charging for these new models.

The 27" 10-core iMac smokes the M1.  It even beats the 8-core iMac Pro in most tests.  Did people trip over iMacs and yank them off desks?  Who asked for a magnetic power cord on a desktop Mac???  The maxed out iMac 24" will be $2,599.  Since the M1 is the same for everything, the upgrades will be $900 (same as the mini).  So you will pay $2,599 for an iMac with 16GB RAM, 2TB of storage, and maybe 10Gb Ethernet, if they offer it.  The 10-core iMac is a better deal, and you get more ports.  I remember people complaining about 16GB RAM, and now they think it is awesome???  All you are going to accomplish is excessive read/writes on the SSD when you try and use large files and power-hungry apps.

These iMacs were made with MacBook parts because the world-wide chip shortage is affecting everything.  Apple needed to release something, so they likely just took the MacBook and grafted a 24" display on it.  These iMacs are stop-gap models, just like the Mac mini, MacBook Pro 13" and Air.  Apple, and everyone else, is getting hit hard by the chip shortage.  Maybe they had better plans for the 24" model, but had to scrap them.  It won't be a two-year transition with the chip shortage.  It has been a year since the announcement and all Apple has is the M1 for base model units.  People want more in a desktop, and these iMac 24" models are not it.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 28 of 39

ireland said:

SD Card will be reserved for a marginally thicker Pro model as Apple figures out a way to upsell iMac users to a pro model that provides ports they had previously on a regular iMac. If there is no pro model then Apple has lost their mind and isn’t living in the real world. Dongles and hubs are horseshit.
    You got that right!  Remember the original iMac advertisements?  They compared the snarling mess of cords on a PC compared to two cords for the original iMac - the power cord and the phone cord (back in the day with modems).  Now Apple is all about the dongles.  The replacement 27" model will only have USB-C.  You can already see that coming.  Like when they claimed no AC adapters was saving the environment, and then the very next day they start advertising the many various different power adapters available as an accessory to charge your devices.
    elijahg
  • Reply 29 of 39

ireland said:
    entropys said:

That power brick shouldn’t exist. An AIO should be an AIO. Ethernet, headphone jack/line-in and a single USB-A port should be on the back beside the two USB4 ports. The machine should be marginally thicker to accommodate them.

And decidedly colourless iMac Pro with the black bezel should have at least 4 USB4 ports, 2 USB-A ports, SD-Card, Ethernet and headphone jack/line in. With at least 6 USB4 ports on the higher end Pro model.

What’s more, both iMac and iMac Pro should include a Qi charger area built into the iMac foot-stand, make it magnetic if they must, but it’s an obvious oversight to miss this opportunity. Some creative thinking would allow the area to charge an iPhone whether the iMac is powered On, in sleep mode or shut down, but plugged in. Come on, Apple, some real innovative please.
    I agree with everything you said, except for the Qi charging in the foot.   Most don't want to pay for something they would never use, also the VESA mount iMac would render that option useless.  Most prefer to charge their devices at a much faster rate than Apple's limitation of 7.5w.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 39

k2kw said:
    entropys said:

Yep, if Thunderbolt can power a MBP with basically the same CPU why can’t. It power these desktops.

That said I love the colors and the design including the chin.   Looking forward to the larger model and hopefully an iMacPro version.   Alas I don’t expect the later to come in all these colors.  Only question is how iPad apps will look running on it.  
    If you charge the new iMac 24" with Thunderbolt, then you have one less port on the back!  The amount of ports restricted because of the M1 is already less than what was offered on the Intel models.  Don't take away another port.  Also, you need to power a 24" display.  Something Thunderbolt likely cannot do.  You will never see an iMac Pro version again.  That was a stop-gap model until Apple burned everyone with the $6,000 Mac Pro.  iOS apps pretty much look terrible on a Mac.   So you can expect the same. You can already guess that the replacement model for the 27" won't offer the same amount of ports, etc.  It will have less RAM, less storage, less ports.  That seems to be what Apple is going for these days.  They really want to push their dongle market.
  • Reply 31 of 39

Yes, because reaching around to the back of the iMac or turning the iMac around was convenient. I’m sure that with time as money professionals, they already have a better solution of a dongle, hub or dock instead of dealing with the SD card slot on the back. I’m sure this will meet the needs of some professionals, however some professionals and power users will wait for more power and RAM anyhow. 
    The previous model iMacs had more RAM and more graphics power with discrete graphics.  Apple seems to be going in reverse these days.  Less memory and slower graphics.  Yes, the M1 can beat integrated graphics, but not discrete graphics.  Reaching around the back to plug in any cable or SD card was not that difficult.  Much better than a headphone jack on the side of the iMac, for a cord sticking out for better powered 2.1 speakers.
  • Reply 32 of 39

The previous model iMacs had more RAM and more graphics power with discrete graphics.  Apple seems to be going in reverse these days.  Less memory and slower graphics.  Yes, the M1 can beat integrated graphics, but not discrete graphics.  Reaching around the back to plug in any cable or SD card was not that difficult.  Much better than a headphone jack on the side of the iMac, for a cord sticking out for better powered 2.1 speakers.
    The original person I was quoting said that now dongles are needed for heavy, pro users. I’ve done the SD card in the back and it is ok for occasional use. For heavy, PRO users, the SD card on the back is not a good solution. Takes too much time and isn’t convenient enough. For heavy pro users, they will have a dongle, dock or hub that places one or more SD card slots in a convenient spot with a high transfer rate. For the heavy pro users it is immaterial that this low end iMac doesn’t have a SD slot. If the slot wears out, then a dongle, hub or dock is still needed to replace the built in  SD slot anyhow. Then for some reason we keep arguing about heavy pro users missing this on a low end Mac. 

There has never been more processing power, ram or storage on an iPad as the new iPad Pro. So that disproves that apple going to fit less memory and storage. Apple tailored the M1 for the low end Macs and it is a good fit for that market. We are only part way in the transition and it is crazy to interpolate what would be on high end Macs from what is on the low end Macs now. Apple says they are going to replace all their Macs with ASi Macs and they have chips that can do it. What that means is anyone’s guess. The sky isn’t falling. 

• Reply 33 of 39

There has never been more processing power, ram or storage on an iPad as the new iPad Pro. So that disproves that apple going to fit less memory and storage. Apple tailored the M1 for the low end Macs and it is a good fit for that market. We are only part way in the transition and it is crazy to interpolate what would be on high end Macs from what is on the low end Macs now. Apple says they are going to replace all their Macs with ASi Macs and they have chips that can do it. What that means is anyone’s guess. The sky isn’t falling. 

What does the iPad Pro have to do with Macs?  The 21.5" iMac supported 32GB RAM from Apple, but the board supports 64GB RAM.  The Intel Mac mini also supports 64GB RAM.  Both models also had more ports.  Their replacement models now only support 16GB RAM.  What part of this disproves that Apple is not using less memory?  The 21.5" iMac had a high-end model with discrete graphics and more storage options than the 'base model', for those that wanted the smaller screen, but more power, more memory, more storage, and more graphics power without going up to the 27".  Now all 24" iMacs are capped at 16GB RAM, no dedicated graphics, and less ports.  Now if you want something better, you'll have to get the larger screen version iMac.  It has been a year.  So far they haven't produced anything better, likely because of the chip shortage.  That is why they are still selling the higher-end Intel models.  So far, the M1 models have less features than the models they replaced.  Not something that anyone asked for.  No one said the sky is falling, but usually new models have more features, not less.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 34 of 39

What does the iPad Pro have to do with Macs?  The 21.5" iMac supported 32GB RAM from Apple, but the board supports 64GB RAM.  The Intel Mac mini also supports 64GB RAM.  Both models also had more ports.  Their replacement models now only support 16GB RAM.  What part of this disproves that Apple is not using less memory?  The 21.5" iMac had a high-end model with discrete graphics and more storage options than the 'base model', for those that wanted the smaller screen, but more power, more memory, more storage, and more graphics power without going up to the 27".  Now all 24" iMacs are capped at 16GB RAM, no dedicated graphics, and less ports.  Now if you want something better, you'll have to get the larger screen version iMac.  It has been a year.  So far they haven't produced anything better, likely because of the chip shortage.  That is why they are still selling the higher-end Intel models.  So far, the M1 models have less features than the models they replaced.  Not something that anyone asked for.  No one said the sky is falling, but usually new models have more features, not less.
    The iPad Pro is a computer that has increased in processing power, ram and storage. It doesn’t matter that it is an iPad. Sure the models this iMac replaces has configurations that has more ports, ram and processing. I think Apple has figured out most people never ordered the configurations with more processing and ram for the low end. For people with really old computers such as my 2014 8gb Mac mini, there is either the same amount of memory or an increase of memory, plus a large increase of processing and GPU power. Again, we are only a short way in to the transition, and it isn’t like new ASi Mac Pro will have a maximum of 16gb of memory. The new Mac Pro will have to be vastly better than the M1. 

BTW, for iMacs, you always had to increase the screen size to get the best specs. That is why we bought the largest screen size iMac in 2009. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

The iPad Pro is a computer that has increased in processing power, ram and storage. It doesn’t matter that it is an iPad. Sure the models this iMac replaces has configurations that has more ports, ram and processing. I think Apple has figured out most people never ordered the configurations with more processing and ram for the low end. For people with really old computers such as my 2014 8gb Mac mini, there is either the same amount of memory or an increase of memory, plus a large increase of processing and GPU power. Again, we are only a short way in to the transition, and it isn’t like new ASi Mac Pro will have a maximum of 16gb of memory. The new Mac Pro will have to be vastly better than the M1. 

BTW, for iMacs, you always had to increase the screen size to get the best specs. That is why we bought the largest screen size iMac in 2009. 
    How is having the same amount of base memory 7 years after your 2014 iMac's release a good thing? People probably didn't order RAM from Apple because it was a ripoff. So they soldered it to force people to buy RAM from them.

The iMacs should have had a better CPU than the M1 - the M1 was released almost 6 months ago and is low power, for laptops, not desktops, with a maximum 16GB RAM. Even a modified M1 with 24GB max would have been much more acceptable, as would more ports.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    ireland said:
    entropys said:

The brick will exist whether it's inside or outside. Having it outside makes it easier to replace if there's an issue and removes the heat and bulk from the computer at the expense of having an external brick. Meh - it's a wash if you ask me. I think incorporating the ethernet jack in the brick was a good idea, though - 2 short cables to the wall and only one cable coming up to the computer.

I'm happy to see the (supposedly obsolete) headphone jack on the side. I wish Apple would put a couple USB jacks (and possibly a SD Card slot) on the side as well. That's always been a major flaw with iMacs. They hid all the 'ugly' jacks in the back but made them horribly inconvenient in the process. one used to have a USB jack on the keyboard but apple has forced everyone into Bluetooth purgatory and we don't have a wired keyboard option anymore. 

Several people have made the trite "just buy a hub!" excuse. Seriously - there's no reason you should need to buy a hub to get a common port like USB A or ethernet for a desktop computer. 
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 39
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 460member
    Gaby said:
    In terms of screen specs, from what I can see, the 21”iMac has in fact been downgraded to 1920 x1080P which I think is rather poor and unnecessary. 
    I thought the base model was always 1080p.

• Reply 38 of 39
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 460member

chris-net said:
    I was actually expecting a more powerful M1, maybe more cores and definitely more RAM. 

maybe they could have just made them all 16GB but 1 model with 4 more cores than the other?

M1 has been about for 6 months now, will M2 arrive in November or will we wait till 2022 for new M’s?

with iPads, Mac mini’s, airs & iMacs on M1 that effectively covers the normal stuff. 

Just the pro labelled stuff to go now. That better not be M1 too. 
    People people ... this is the replacement for the 21.5" consumer iMac ... the prosumer replacement for the 27" 5K will probably be announced later this year.