Hermes has exclusive $699 AirTag Travel Tag, $570 iPhone 12 MagSafe case

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2021
The luxury leather brand Hermes has introduced a fourth option in its AirTag accessory range, one that is only available from the company's own store, along with a new leather iPhone 12 case.

As part of Apple's AirTag launch, a raft of accessories were also announced, giving consumers many different ways to carry around the tracking device This included Hermes, which currently offers three options through Apple's online retail site.

However, Hermes' own store offers one more AirTag option that isn't available from Apple, and can only be bought directly. As spotted by Robb Report, Hermes sells the AirTag Travel Tag.

Like its other variants, the Hermes AirTag Travel Tag is a leather holder for an AirTag, which is supplied complete with an exclusive etching of the Clou de Selle signature. However, rather than just holding the AirTag, the Travel Tag also includes a windowed section to add contact details that are visible, similar to other tags used for suitcases while on the move.

Made from Fawn Barenia calfskin, the Travel Tag shows the AirTag at the rear, with the metal engraving clearly visible.

The Apple AirTag Hermes Travel Tag costs $699, including the AirTag itself, and is available for preorder with shipments starting from April 29.

The Hermes-exclusive tag is the most expensive version produced by Hermes. The variants sold by Apple are cheaper, with the Bag Charm priced at $299, the Key Ring for $349, and the Luggage Tag for $449.

At the same time, Hermes has also made available a leather case for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro. The Bolduc Case with MagSafe is a Fawn Barenia calfskin case that is claimed to offer robust protection for the iPhone.

Snapping into place on the iPhone with embedded magnets, it supports MagSafe and is compatible with both Apple's charging accessories and standard Qi chargers, like other cases.

On the back is the "Bolduc" hot stamp, which is said to refer to the "iconic ribbon wrapped around Hermes orange boxes."

Available for preorder with shipments set to start from April 27, the case is priced at $570.

The case and AirTag accessories join a new Apple Watch band style that launched on April 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Absolutely abhorrent. Egregious excess.
    boxcatchermacseekershareef777williamlondonjeffzachariascaladanianchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 45
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    How much??? $699 for $5 of leather, $29 AirTag and $10 assembly cost? The company should be investigated for fraud, what a joke.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 45
    davfardavfar Posts: 3member
    Just remember, there’s one born every minute...
    chemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Hermès and not Hermes.
    Really.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Unless you're taking a private charter flight I'd expect those crazy expensive tags to go missing. Better make sure you're there when the bags come off the baggage carousel, if they haven't been shipped in transit. Carry-on should fair OK but then what about the hotel?

Clearly a product for people with money to burn.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    If you inherited / made so much money that afford to give it away to others so freely, please consider donating to good causes in addition to pissing it away on stuff like this.
    edited April 2021 elijahgbonobobscartartdysamoriacaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    dysamoria said:
    I agree.  Kinda reminds me of an old saying:  More money than brains.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
     I suppose this is no more extravagant than those that bought the $10,000 Gold Apple Watch back in the day.  I guess if you have the money to blow on what is obviously an overpriced product, go right ahead and let the country enjoy the extra sales tax.

I'm expecting the Kim Kardashians and other Instagram "influencers" to show this piece of excess off in the photos.
    edited April 2021 Beatswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    sflocal said:
     I suppose this is no more extravagant than those that bought the $10,000 Gold Apple Watch back in the day.  I guess if you have the money to blow on what is obviously an overpriced product, go right ahead and let the country enjoy the extra sales tax.

I'm expecting the Kim Kardashians and other Instagram "influencers" to show this piece of excess off in the photos.
    At least the gold will always have some value. This will be worthless in a couple of years. Or in fact as soon as it's removed from the packaging, no one is going to buy one second hand.
    Beatsdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 45
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    elijahg said:
    How much??? $699 for $5 of leather, $29 AirTag and $10 assembly cost? The company should be investigated for fraud, what a joke.
    Assembly cost is higher for hand-made items. Some of these type of things are made individually:

https://martinroll.com/resources/articles/strategy/hermes-the-strategy-behind-the-global-luxury-success/

"Hermès’ claims, in line with the comments from its CEO and Creative Director, that each product is entirely manufactured by hand by only one craftsman, signifies the quality of craftsmanship and uniqueness of its products"

This is like when Ive and Newson made their Leica camera model.

If a single craftsman makes one per day and they get paid $100k per year for 5 days/52 weeks, assembly would be $100k / 260 days = $384 and the company has to make a profit on top of what they pay their workers.

It's similar to the XDR display stand costing $1000. It's not that it costs anywhere near that in parts but the amount of orders are so few that it doesn't make sense to have a mass-manufacturing line. The cost goes up significantly when the addressable market volume goes down significantly.

It's excessive design to put into a product for this purpose but that could be said of most designed items like clothing, bags, shoes, sunglasses, furniture.

Sometimes well-crafted items even work out cheaper in the long-term:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned

People pay 2-3x more for Apple products but they often last 2-3x longer.
    VaporStainpascal007JWSCchialolliverwilliamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    These articles always bring out the commenters with accusations of "more money than brains".

While the accused often do have more money than brains, it's important to understand that the accused more often have more brains than those that make the accusations, and they don't have the money either.

I guess even in this "woke" society, it's a shame so many people still can't let others enjoy what they want without some sort of criticism.

Obviously we are dealing with a top luxury brand that has prices most people can’t afford and find obscene  That being said, what really gets me is the people who seem to be criticizing the excess of it, as if the people who would buy these things are committing some sort of moral crime by doing so instead of giving money away to the poor.  

Remember, someone has to make these products, market them, etc. The same applies for $200,000 cars or $50 million private jets. The same applies to the hired staff of people who have 10 houses worth millions of dollars each. Who do you think is paying all of those gardeners, cooks, security people, and countless private contractors who do work?  I’ll go further:  The rich even create economic activity when they don’t spend.  They invest, which directly supports companies who hire, make things, etc.  It supports jobs in finance and even banking.   There seems to be this notion that rich people hoard money, as if they are keeping it in some kind of Scrooge McDuck like-vault or stuffing it under their mattresses.  It really shows the utter economic ignorance out there today. 
    Apple-a-daypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 45
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    sflocal said:

Except the Apple Watch was literally made of gold and was a luxury product.

No different than how Rolex sells expensive products.

Apple discontinuing the luxury Apple Watch was the 2nd most stupid Cook decision next to ignoring gamers on Apple TV. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 14 of 45
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    No, that’s too much money for those things still. People can buy them, nobody’s stopping them, but I’ll still criticize them. You could find ways to make one of those for $2,000, and sell them for $2,500 but doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to me. 
    ITGUYINSDdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 45
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    sdw2001 said:
    These articles always bring out the commenters with accusations of "more money than brains".

While the accused often do have more money than brains, it's important to understand that the accused more often have more brains than those that make the accusations, and they don't have the money either.

I guess even in this "woke" society, it's a shame so many people still can't let others enjoy what they want without some sort of criticism.

Obviously we are dealing with a top luxury brand that has prices most people can’t afford and find obscene  That being said, what really gets me is the people who seem to be criticizing the excess of it, as if the people who would buy these things are committing some sort of moral crime by doing so instead of giving money away to the poor.  

Remember, someone has to make these products, market them, etc. The same applies for $200,000 cars or $50 million private jets. The same applies to the hired staff of people who have 10 houses worth millions of dollars each. Who do you think is paying all of those gardeners, cooks, security people, and countless private contractors who do work?  I’ll go further:  The rich even create economic activity when they don’t spend.  They invest, which directly supports companies who hire, make things, etc.  It supports jobs in finance and even banking.   There seems to be this notion that rich people hoard money, as if they are keeping it in some kind of Scrooge McDuck like-vault or stuffing it under their mattresses.  It really shows the utter economic ignorance out there today. 
    Oh break out the guillotine already...
  • Reply 16 of 45
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    dysamoria said:
    Yes, but it is a wonderful way to part wealthy people from their money.  If they want to buy it for that ridiculous price, more power to them, and to the people who remain employed because of it.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 45
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Hermès and not Hermes.
    Really.
    So uncouth.  Shocking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    elijahg said:
    Where is the fraud? Do you even know what the word means?
    lolliverwilliamlondonITGUYINSDcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    I’ll take two
    AMcKinlay21watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This was the most hilarious thread I’ve read here in a while. Thanks everybody!

i just want to know why they haven’t released a MagSafe wallet yet. Seems like an obvious product for them, especially since they make several card holders already that are just missing the magnets. An Orange Swift or Ébène Barénia style wallet would look really sharp. Then again, they would probably also elicit the wrath and mock indignation of the entitled among us who think everything should be available to them, and if it’s not, then it must be awful. 
    lolliverpatchythepiratewatto_cobra