Apple burns early iPad Pro adopters, loyal customers with Magic Keyboard incompatibility

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    thedba said:
    A whole lot of chest thumping, shirt tearing, soap box standing going on here. 
    Before throwing out your magic keyboards circa 2018 can you all wait and see when the new iPad Pro comes out?

Unless Apple has intentionally displaced the 3 pins on the back of the iPad Pro 12.9, I don’t see why it still won’t attach and you still won’t be able to type on the older keyboard. 
    Chances are you won’t be able to fully close it and automatically  put your iPad to sleep. That’s it. Typing with it should not be a problem unless someone can confirm that Apple will intentionally disable keyboard functions inside the OS. 
    If the old keyboard worked with the New iPad Apple could easily get word out to someone like Gruber. But it appears they’re telling sites like AI and The Verge that it won’t work. This is really poor planning and engineering on Apple’s part. If they could make the new keyboard backwards compatible then they should have been able to make the 2020 keyboard future compatible. They had to know at that point a thicker/heavier iPad was in the pipeline.
    saarekcanukstormelijahg
  • Reply 62 of 109
    AppleZulu said:
    Seems like the person with the itch to replace a year-old iPad Pro and the money to burn for that quick of an upgrade isn’t likely to get bent out of shape over upgrading the keyboard, too. Not sure what all the angst is about. 
    The current 2020 magic keyboard works with the 2018 iPad Pro. My guess is a lot of current magic keyboard owners have the 2018 model. The 2020 model wasn’t much of an upgrade.

Also this new iPad Pro has the M1 chip and the ability to configure to 2TB storage and 16GB RAM plus 5G. So it’s possible someone who bought the 2020 iPad Pro will want to upgrade after they see the software updates to iPadOS at WWDC.
    elijahg
  • Reply 63 of 109
    Yeah similar problem here when I found out my Apple trackpad that works as intended with my Intel Mac mini doesn’t work with my M1 Mac mini when I want to select & drag‼️
    So now I need to buy another WiFi trackpad or mouse to use it as my living room TV screen as monitor 4K computer.  :(
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 64 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    kkapoor said:
    Define 'incompatible'. I wager the new 12.9" iPad will work just fine with the old keyboard. This is just Apple being Apple with their standards with regards to tight engineering tolerances.
    It might work, with the fit being just a tiny bit imperfect.
    Or Apple might've felt the imperfect fit somehow created the potential for catastrophe and made the electrical contacts not align, so people wouldn't even bother trying.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 109
    If you have the previous iPad Pro, you don’t need to upgrade. My 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro from 2015 is still going strong, keyboard and pencil still working well. 
    If you do want to upgrade, the old one and keyboard have great resale value. I know people with the old one who want the keyboard and want to not pay full retail, easy to sell it
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 109
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Really not a big deal. The vast majority of people will not be upgrading last year’s model to this model. If you are, just sell it with the old iPad, as others have said.

Some people just seek out reasons to be insulted. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 109
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Seems like there are plenty of people here prepared to upgrade, so I don’t see the problem. It makes perfect sense for Apple to exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Crying over a $350 accessory but no tears for the discontinued iMac Pro?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 109
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    elijahg said:
    Unfortunately decisions like this are causing Apple to burn through goodwill and loyalty built up over many many years. Over the 25 years I've been using Macs they built up quite a bit, but mine is dangerously close to empty. Several friends have run out and abandoned Apple entirely. Cook forgets that without the loyal Apple customers that stuck with them in the '90's before he was on the scene, Apple wouldn't be here now. At the hands of Cook Apple is becoming typical of the big, lethargic profit rather than customer focussed companies we used to ridicule on these very forums.

It wouldn't be so bad if the thing wasn't so overpriced; I remember Jobs announcing the price of the original iPad to cheers from the audience, for less than the keyboard alone is now. Contrast that too with the dissatisfied mumblings at WWDC when they introduced the $1000 monitor stand. Cook is desperate to keep raising profit by any means, even if that includes shafting loyal customers. That is a terrible long-term strategy, it will come back to bite them in the ass.

In years past I used to be first in line for Apple's new devices, saving up beforehand to afford them. But now despite being able to afford them much more easily, I don't even consider a lot of them because they're just a ripoff.
    Cry me a river. If you want to bail, go right ahead. Apple sells fantastic products at prices that can be a bit high. No one should ever assume future compatibility for accessories.
    DnykjpRfC6fnBswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 109
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    mike1 said:
    Really not a big deal. The vast majority of people will not be upgrading last year’s model to this model. If you are, just sell it with the old iPad, as others have said.

I wouldn’t bet on that. The M1 iPad Pro is a significant upgrade. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 71 of 109
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Sorry but I don’t think a person can reasonably expect a fitment-specific accessory designed to for generation A to also fit generation B.  Doesn’t matter how expensive it is.

When I buy a case for an iPhone it’s with the understanding that it’s (likely) only going to 100% fit the iPhone I’m buying.
    It's not a $350 case.  It's a $350 keyboard and trackpad.  It's also only one year old.
    Hermes has something to sell you, then.
    crossladelijahghammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 109
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This is the result of myopic, reductionist mindsets. 
    Engineers charged with "Create THIS" and general oversight (seeing the forest instead of just the trees) and common sense are not part of the equation.

Did anybody stand up and say:   "No!  This is Wrong and it is stupid because it is unnecessary!"
    Or did they? But were simply told to sit down and shut up?

Or, if Apple did in fact recognize the problem, then they could have (should have?) provided a reasonable upgrade path -- such as a large trade-in when exchanging a 2020 version with a 2021 version.

Or is it that Apple simply figured that anyone willing to part with $350 for a keyboard and trackpad could afford a new one each year?
    Could the analogy be Apple selling a $10,000 gold Series Zero Apple Watch knowing that it would be obsolete and almost unusable within a very short time period?

Apple, in recent years, has had a history of marketing a subset of incredibly expensive products aimed at those not overly concerned about money.   And, perhaps they believe that that crowd will simply shell out another $350 to get the latest, greatest and most perfect.
    rogifan_newelijahg
  • Reply 73 of 109
    I stopped listening to this editorial when it complained about the developer kit. You were promised no money back and you had to return it. Apple has never guaranteed any future compatibility. eGPUs are still not compatible with ASi Macs and many of those are in the $600 range. What about the thousand dollar Apple Watches, trash can Mac Pros. Yet with all the discontent, Apple is doing a ton of business with Macs, Watches, iPads, and iPhones. 
    thtmacplusplusfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 109
    mike1 said:

One, this is a pretty big upgrade with the mini-led display tech, M1, 16GB RAM, 5G. Two, I’m sure many thinking of upgrading are currently using the 2018 model. I’m in that situation. If the keyboard was compatible it would be an insta buy for me. The magic keyboard I bought last year is working perfectly fine. I don’t need a new one. And the new one looks to be exactly the same functionality wise as the previous.  If I find out it won’t work with the new iPad then Apple just lost an iPad sale.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Seems like there are plenty of people here prepared to upgrade, so I don’t see the problem. It makes perfect sense for Apple to exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can.
    “I don’t see the problem” ... “exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can”.

This is everything wrong with the normalization of laissez-faire capitalism, right here.
    elijahg
  • Reply 76 of 109
    mike1 said:

One, this is a pretty big upgrade with the mini-led display tech, M1, 16GB RAM, 5G. Two, I’m sure many thinking of upgrading are currently using the 2018 model. I’m in that situation. If the keyboard was compatible it would be an insta buy for me. The magic keyboard I bought last year is working perfectly fine. I don’t need a new one. And the new one looks to be exactly the same functionality wise as the previous.  If I find out it won’t work with the new iPad then Apple just lost an iPad sale.

I suspect you are far from alone.
    Those who invested in earlier iPad Pros are those most interested in performance.  So, with the major performance boost with the M1 iPad, they are the ones most likely to upgrade.   But, having to replace a $350 keyboard puts that decision to upgrade in a different light.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    dysamoria said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    “I don’t see the problem” ... “exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can”.

This is everything wrong with the normalization of laissez-faire capitalism, right here.
    Laissez-faire capitalism built this country into what it is today.
    But, as they realized early on (with the abuses of Rockefeller and then Carnegie Steel), when left unconstrained with greed, it can do harm as well as good.

elijahgcanukstorm
  • Reply 78 of 109
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Just sell the keyboard along with your old iPad Pro. 
    You mean "just lose more money"?  Can't sell my MK for what I paid, so I lose money there.  Then have to buy the new MK at full price.  

It's bad enough paying the ridiculous prices for the iPad Pro.
    If the prices are “ridiculous” as you say, maybe an iPad Pro just isn’t for you.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 109
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Never assume that you'll be able to use any accessory across different generations of a device. There's always a possibility that the form factor may change.

Just sell your old set up as a bundle. Yes, you're going to lose money, but you would've regardless for used kit.
    thtpscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 109
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    In no other industry do people raise such a fuss about trying to get deals a year after they’ve purchased a product. In fact, not even other computer companies. I guess if enough babies cry and bang their sippy cups, Apple will bend. 
    macplusplusFidonet127mike1watto_cobra