Hermes has exclusive $699 AirTag Travel Tag, $570 iPhone 12 MagSafe case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    elijahg said:
    How much??? $699 for $5 of leather, $29 AirTag and $10 assembly cost? The company should be investigated for fraud, what a joke.
    $5 of leather?  Yeah, no. Obviously you’ve never owned, touched, or even seen anything by Hermès in real life. 

$10 for assembly cost? Yeah, no. See above. 
    edited April 2021 williamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Ridiculous...but so was the Apple Watch 10K Edition. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 45
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    sflocal said:
     I suppose this is no more extravagant than those that bought the $10,000 Gold Apple Watch back in the day.  I guess if you have the money to blow on what is obviously an overpriced product, go right ahead and let the country enjoy the extra sales tax.

I'm expecting the Kim Kardashians and other Instagram "influencers" to show this piece of excess off in the photos.

The $10K Apple Watch is an interesting story. 

You need to remember that before Apple Watch, “smart watches” were unfashionable, clunky, scarce on features, and mostly for geeks. Kind of like computers used to be. In fact, the “experts” (mostly anti-Apple writers) told us that we didn’t need them, it was just another fad, and would obviously be a complete flop. 

Fast forward six years, and those “experts “ couldn’t have been more wrong. As usual. 

But Apple did have a challenge with the first Apple watches. To convince the world that smart watches could also be fashionable, cool, and weren’t just for geeks.

So what better way to do this than to release a highly sought after, expensive, fashionable watch, in styling and pricing that celebrities would wear. It was featured in fashion shows and sold in special Apple boutiques. The ripple effect of this was that people saw Apple Watches as something that was not only useful and technologically advanced, but also something that was fashionable, personal, and non-geeky. Something that they would actually wear. 

Today, with Apple Watch outselling all of the competitors combined, I’d have to say that the $10K Gold Watch was money well spent for Apple. Did they need to continue making it? Probably not. It served its purpose and broke down the barriers. There will always be a small market for higher priced, low volume, special versions of Apple devices (anyone remember the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh) and I’m sure they will tap into it from time-to-time. But, thankfully, Apple continues to focus on high quality, exceptionally designed devices, that the rest of us can afford and enjoy. 

patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    leighr said:
    sflocal said:
     I suppose this is no more extravagant than those that bought the $10,000 Gold Apple Watch back in the day.  I guess if you have the money to blow on what is obviously an overpriced product, go right ahead and let the country enjoy the extra sales tax.

I'm expecting the Kim Kardashians and other Instagram "influencers" to show this piece of excess off in the photos.

The $10K Apple Watch is an interesting story. 

You need to remember that before Apple Watch, “smart watches” were unfashionable, clunky, scarce on features, and mostly for geeks. Kind of like computers used to be. In fact, the “experts” (mostly anti-Apple writers) told us that we didn’t need them, it was just another fad, and would obviously be a complete flop. 

Fast forward six years, and those “experts “ couldn’t have been more wrong. As usual. 

But Apple did have a challenge with the first Apple watches. To convince the world that smart watches could also be fashionable, cool, and weren’t just for geeks.

So what better way to do this than to release a highly sought after, expensive, fashionable watch, in styling and pricing that celebrities would wear. It was featured in fashion shows and sold in special Apple boutiques. The ripple effect of this was that people saw Apple Watches as something that was not only useful and technologically advanced, but also something that was fashionable, personal, and non-geeky. Something that they would actually wear. 

Today, with Apple Watch outselling all of the competitors combined, I’d have to say that the $10K Gold Watch was money well spent for Apple. Did they need to continue making it? Probably not. It served its purpose and broke down the barriers. There will always be a small market for higher priced, low volume, special versions of Apple devices (anyone remember the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh) and I’m sure they will tap into it from time-to-time. But, thankfully, Apple continues to focus on high quality, exceptionally designed devices, that the rest of us can afford and enjoy. 

Yes, except those gold watches weren’t highly sought after at all. Apple literally gave them away to celebrities for photo ops.  And all those specialty boutiques were all shut down within a year, and the gold watch along with them. So maybe pursuing the fashion angle first gave it legitimacy with a very small subset of customers, but those first few generations did not sell in very large numbers. It wasn’t until Apple went all in on the fitness and health angle that the public caught on and sales skyrocketed. And I would argue that releasing 10-15 new band styles each season did more to make it less “geeky” than the gold Watch Edition ever did. And seeing them on friends, and people at the gym or coffee shop, inspired more people to buy them than any of those celebrities ever did. 
    dysamoriaAI_lias
  • Reply 25 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:

Apple discontinuing the luxury Apple Watch was the 2nd most stupid Cook decision next to ignoring gamers on Apple TV. 
      :D
    dysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,551member
    It's almost as if you need the tag to track its case. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,285member
    You gotta give them credit for adhering to their motto of “When spending too much is not enough.” Other than the shock value to us commoners, I really don’t understand why anyone would get their skivvies in a twist about products that are not intended for our (commoners) purchase. The people who are in target market for these accessories aren’t going to blink an eye at the price. Their pets probably eat better food and have better health care than 90% of Americans. That’s just the way it is, but we’ve still got our Apple gadgets to make us happy, most of the time, until they raise the ante and lure us into paying more than we ever thought we’d pay for something. Everyone has their price, and Apple knows what that price is - and adds 10 or 20 percent because they know we are weak.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    Unless you're taking a private charter flight I'd expect those crazy expensive tags to go missing. Better make sure you're there when the bags come off the baggage carousel, if they haven't been shipped in transit. Carry-on should fair OK but then what about the hotel?

Clearly a product for people with money to burn.
    Well if people can afford these tags. Chances are they aren’t flying Spirit or Ryanair.
    dysamoriapatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    sflocal said:

Yeah because that how rich people suffer with taxes...

There are not loopholes on how rich people avoid Uncle Sam. /s
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Well didn’t take long for the exact copies to be out..selling at around $5-$10 dollars. I have the money but will get the copies. Rich people know which items are worthy to buy designer. This isn’t one of them. These items are made from the scraps of the bags. Hilarious. 
    AI_liaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Beats said:
    sflocal said:

Except the Apple Watch was literally made of gold and was a luxury product.

No different than how Rolex sells expensive products.

Apple discontinuing the luxury Apple Watch was the 2nd most stupid Cook decision next to ignoring gamers on Apple TV. 
    Apple still makes luxury models they just don’t make that particular luxury model. 
  • Reply 32 of 45
    sflocal said:

Celebs/Influencers get them for FREE 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 509member
    Let us not forget that those with the means to not think twice about buying these also are the ones that travel with 3 or more bags PER PERSON.  So it's really $700 x 3 PER PERSON (or more).  

Too bad they don't have a 4-pack for the discounted price of $2700 so those people can feel like they are getting a deal!   :D
    edited April 2021 AI_liaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    These articles always bring out the commenters with accusations of "more money than brains".

While the accused often do have more money than brains, it's important to understand that the accused more often have more brains than those that make the accusations, and they don't have the money either.

I guess even in this "woke" society, it's a shame so many people still can't let others enjoy what they want without some sort of criticism.

What exactly are you saying or defending here?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Made from a dead baby cow. I'll pass. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    jamesmcd said:
    Made from a dead baby cow. I'll pass. 
    You realize that human beings, yourself included, I assume, are animals, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,563member
    I would need an AirTag to track the location of my Hermes AirTag holder. EDIT: I just saw someone made my same point 12 hours ago. Sorry, pal.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    longfanglongfang Posts: 439member
    elijahg said:
    How much??? $699 for $5 of leather, $29 AirTag and $10 assembly cost? The company should be investigated for fraud, what a joke.
    How is that fraud exactly?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    AI_lias said:
    No, that’s too much money for those things still. People can buy them, nobody’s stopping them, but I’ll still criticize them. You could find ways to make one of those for $2,000, and sell them for $2,500 but doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to me. 

So according to you everything must only have a utilitarian purpose? And that everything must be “affordable” by your definition? Get off your high horse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45

Beats said:
    sflocal said:

Except the Apple Watch was literally made of gold and was a luxury product.

No different than how Rolex sells expensive products.

Gold is only valuable because it’s shiny and people like the shiny. No different than these things.
    watto_cobra