German advertisers file antitrust complaint over Apple's App Tracking Transparency

Posted:
in iOS
German media and advertising companies have filed a complaint with the country's competition regulator, accusing Apple of antitrust abuse with the introduction of App Tracking Transparency.

The inbound update to iOS 14.5 for App Tracking Transparency will force apps to ask users for permission to track their online activities, in order to serve up personalized advertising. While the privacy move is seen as a positive in general, firms in Germany have taken action to try and prevent a loss of revenue from advertising.

Nine industry associations filed the complaint on Monday, representing a variety of tech giants and online publishers, including Facebook and major publisher Axel Springer, reports the Financial Times. The complaint insists the changes will negatively affect the mobile advertising industry.

It is alleged there could be a 60-percent fall in advertising revenue for app developers once ATT is implemented, with it harder for marketers to collect data required for the more lucrative targeted ads.

Representing the group, Thomas Hoppner of law firm Hausfeld claims more apps will have to change their business models to charge consumers, rather than rely on advertising.

"Consumers will be harmed by higher transaction costs," said Hoppner. "If the relevance of ads decreases, consumers will have to spend more time searching to find offerings that are relevant to them."

The complaint mirrors a similar tactic attempted by lobbyist group France Digitale, which filed complaints in October and March to the French National Commission on Informatics and Liberty (CNIL). The group had issues with the effects of ATT itself, as well as how Apple seemingly didn't have to abide by the same system for its own apps and services.

While the complaint triggered a probe by CNIL into the matter, it denied a request to force Apple to hold off from implementing ATT itself, as the regulator couldn't find fault in Apple's approach. "We can't intervene just because there might be a negative impact for companies in the ecosystem," said France competition authority head Isabelle de Silva at the time.

Apple is continuing with its introduction of ATT, with all apps submitted to the App Store required to have ATT enabled from April 26. Apps attempting to circumvent ATT will be removed from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bottom line, they want to track you without your knowledge or permission and ATT will prevent that soooooooo.... they’re mad as hell.
    dewmefotoformatwilliamlondonGG1iqatedokillroychiabyronlequality72521jony0
  • Reply 2 of 22
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    They want to sue Apple to stop Apple from giving us the tools to stop them from unknowingly tracking us? Using our personal data for their financial gain without our consent or without paying us for it? They bury stuff in the EULA and now we will have something short and sweet to say “no” to. Of course they would want to stop it. Any judge that would ok this should be under the bench. 

Let’s start to sue them!!

I’m not German but it affects us all. 
    killroybyronlequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 12

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy...

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

williamlondonequality72521jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    "Representing the group, Thomas Hoppner of law firm Hausfeld claims more apps will have to change their business models to charge consumers, rather than rely on advertising."  

They say that as if that's a BAD thing!?!

equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    They fail to realize that the App Store is Apple’s Sstore. If they chose to close it tomorrow because it no longer fit their business model, they would all be totally screwed and that is their right. 
    equality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Hausfeld claims more apps will have to change their business models to charge consumers, rather than rely on advertising
    Boo F*****g Hoo. Being willing and able to change your business model is part of business. Companies that don’t die out very quickly. 

maciekskontaktkillroychiaequality72521baconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Germany is right now trashing the civil liberties.
    So the right to not being tracked is obsolet too...  :s
    killroyequality72521watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I´m sooo looking forward to this year´s spring cleaning.
    Reptile hunt!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Another reason to use two phones: some popular smartphone like Apple or Samsung and high security phone like Black Phone or alternative that cannot be tracked by anyone. Also another reason to dump any popular browsers and use browsers blocking not only tracking cookies, but also Google FLoC. Vivaldi and Brave are helpful, but Vivaldi is better and I do not trust CISO of Brave for some reasons. She is not sufficiently experienced person and she hides parts of her profile from background checks. She might be someone with two faces doing double work like protecting privacy, but not necessarily from some governments.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 10 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    beadlien said:
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 12

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy...

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

If you are on the Internet you are giving up your privacy.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    genovelle said:
    They fail to realize that the App Store is Apple’s Sstore. If they chose to close it tomorrow because it no longer fit their business model, they would all be totally screwed and that is their right. 
    Well, let's be real.

Closing the App store would also change Apple's business model - as in a lot fewer iPhones sold.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

"Representing the group, Thomas Hoppner of law firm Hausfeld claims more apps will have to change their business models to charge consumers, rather than rely on advertising."  

They say that as if that's a BAD thing!?!
    Yes it’s a very, very bad thing.

Apple is only adopting this privacy stance since their own add model failed.   Now the want to destroy Internet advertising so that they can use their control of the OS to charge third party Apps for being on the platform.  Just more of creating an Internet for the HAVES .
  • Reply 13 of 22
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    This should be interesting. How can a court say “It’s ok for you to track users without their permission.”  Remember, Apple is not saying they can’t track users only they have to get permission first. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    smalm said:
    a) no, they're not. 

b) Axel Springer Verlag and Facebook are not the German government. Not by a long fucking shot. Thank G*d. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    k2kw said:

Apple is only adopting this privacy stance since their own add model failed.   Now the want to destroy Internet advertising so that they can use their control of the OS to charge third party Apps for being on the platform.  Just more of creating an Internet for the HAVES .
    Facebook is a pawnshop handling stolen privacy.

Actually, if you have a closer look into the shelves in the rear corner, you might find elections too. Look for a shelf labelled Cambridge Analytica. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    spheric said:
    smalm said:
    a) no, they're not. 

b) Axel Springer Verlag and Facebook are not the German government. Not by a long fucking shot. Thank G*d. 
    As I often do I have a look at the sources, but I'm not seeing Facebook listed as an associate member of ZAG. Perhaps FB is a member of some other group that has some association with ZAG? 
    https://zaw.de/der-zaw/assoziierte-mitglieder-des-zaw/
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Installing iOS 14.5 with ATT as I type this. because I AM APPLE'S CUSTOMER, and not these degenerate advertising firms.  I decide how I want to be tracked on the Internet, not them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    sflocal said:
    Installing iOS 14.5 with ATT as I type this. because I AM APPLE'S CUSTOMER, and not these degenerate advertising firms.  I decide how I want to be tracked on the Internet, not them.
    ....but we don´t really know what deals our cellular friends are making with our advertising collecting buddies, do we? The world of circumvention is rich and colourful :smile: 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Something to notice: the only ones complaining are people selling advertising, people who buy advertising and are actually selling products aren’t complaining - advertisers cannot speak on behalf of online stores. That’s because targeted advertising is just one of a myriad of methods available to online stores. Targeted ads aren’t even all that well targeted to begin with - instead it’s often the wrong product just following you around the internet. 
    citpeksbaconstangLeoMCjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Something to notice: the only ones complaining are people selling advertising

That's a distinction that should be noted.

On the whole, the German people, and the government value privacy.

Google has faced obstacles with Gmail and Maps in Germany over privacy concerns.  Cruise around Germany in Street View, and notice how many more blurred out sections are found, and spottier coverage overall, compared to other places.  Those result from specific requests to be excluded from Street View, and hindered mapping efforts.
    watto_cobra