Apple releases tvOS 14.5 with extended game controller support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2021
Apple has released tvOS 14.5 to the public, updating the Apple TV's operating system with support for new game controllers and the Color Balance feature.

The tvOS update isn't a release with a lot of new features, though it does include some small tweaks. Arguably the biggest change relates to its new support of PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X game controllers.

Adding support for the controllers provides users with more options for playing games on the Apple TV. Many of the games included as part of Apple Arcade include controller support, so it is natural for Apple to support the controllers of the major current-generation consoles.

Support for both theXbox Series X and PlayStation 5 DualSense controllers is already included in iOS.

Announced during the "Spring Loaded" event, tvOS 14.5 also includes a Color Balance tool to improve the picture on a TV connected to the Apple TV. All models of Apple TV running tvOS 14.5 can use an iPhone to perform the quick procedure, by holding it an inch away from a specific region of the screen.

The update also includes the usual collection of bug fixes and performance improvements.

The update can be installed automatically on a fourth-generation Apple TV or Apple TV 4K. A manual update can be performed by accessing the Settings app and selecting System, then Software Updates, followed by Update Software then by the Download and Install option.

Apple's previous tvOS update, tvOS 14.4, arrived on January 26. It largely consisted of minor tweaks and stability improvements.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Why does Apple (or Nintendo?) not allow Switch controllers support?

“ Adding support for the controllers provides users with more options for playing games on the Apple TV.”

yeah. So many options for games.

/s
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Beats said:
    More likely Nintendo. As for games, all of the Apple Arcade titles will work well if you've got a 4K ATV. 4th gen HD ATV can struggle with some of the titles that use a 3D engine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I installed it hoping to try out the new calibration tool. But no, I'm using Dolby whatever video to my TV and no calibration is needed  apparently.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Beats said:

“ Adding support for the controllers provides users with more options for playing games on the Apple TV.”

/s
    Actually there are so many options for games.  Perhaps you haven't looked or even trialed Apple Arcade...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    nicholfd said:
    Beats said:

/s
    Actually there are so many options for games.  Perhaps you haven't looked or even trialed Apple Arcade...
    Right, yet another service to pay for...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    After TVOS 14.4, Apple removed support for 1366x768 resolution.  I have a not-so-big sony tv in my bedroom and 720p videos with this 1366x768 tv is just enough.  however, since the 1366x768 resolution is gone, the image is only shown in overscan meaning it is cropped all around.  This is one of the stupidest feature removals I have ever seen.  I will get a smart tv and forget about AppleTV.

the worst thing is, this happened after TVOS constantly bothering me for months to upgrade TVOS even though I had set upgrades to disabled until at some point someone clicked the stupid remote by accident.  by brute force it removed a perfectly working feature.

Unless there is a class-action lawsuit, and obviously there will never be for such a stupid issue, apple never fixes stupid stuff like this and continue doing their forced obsolescence thing.  it is as if I didn't buy this device and I don't own it.  It is as if Apple owns this device and lets me use it.  If I don't have control over my device, then why am I buying it? It should be a rental.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Mr.ToR said:
    After TVOS 14.4, Apple removed support for 1366x768 resolution.  I have a not-so-big sony tv in my bedroom and 720p videos with this 1366x768 tv is just enough.  however, since the 1366x768 resolution is gone, the image is only shown in overscan meaning it is cropped all around.  This is one of the stupidest feature removals I have ever seen.  I will get a smart tv and forget about AppleTV.

the worst thing is, this happened after TVOS constantly bothering me for months to upgrade TVOS even though I had set upgrades to disabled until at some point someone clicked the stupid remote by accident.  by brute force it removed a perfectly working feature.

Unless there is a class-action lawsuit, and obviously there will never be for such a stupid issue, apple never fixes stupid stuff like this and continue doing their forced obsolescence thing.  it is as if I didn't buy this device and I don't own it.  It is as if Apple owns this device and lets me use it.  If I don't have control over my device, then why am I buying it? It should be a rental.
    Did you know you can control overscan in the Settings app -> Video & Audio -> Calibration -> Zoom and Overscan?

Did you try to adjust it there?