FTP Software reccomendations ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry if this has been done before, but FTP is too short to use in the search.

What OSX native ftp programs do you use. I was using ws-ftp on my peecee which is simple yet effective, now I want a mac equivalent.

I have downloaded the trial of Transmit 2.3, and its looking good for $25 - Do you know of anything similar or better ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

I have downloaded the trial of Transmit 2.3, and its looking good for $25 - Do you know of anything similar or better ?

You have found Transmit. Look no further! IMO, Panic's Transmit is by far the best FTP program on the Mac platform. I couldn't and wouldn't recommend any other FTP app.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Oh well, with a response like that...... chi-ching, out comes the Credit Card.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    I am in a web design class and I have LiFTP. It has suited my needs very well. It is free and I suggest you try that before shelling out cash on one. The website is http://www.macintroll.com. Atleast give it a try. I have really liked it and you can't beat free.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    sorry wrong link. the link is http://www.liftp.net/liftp/
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    If you need Secure FTP, then you can also use the FUGU software from the University of Michigan.

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

I am in a web design class and I have LiFTP. It has suited my needs very well. It is free and I suggest you try that before shelling out cash on one. The website is http://www.macintroll.com. Atleast give it a try. I have really liked it and you can't beat free.

I agree. I recently cam accross LiFTP on MacUpdate.com when I was searching for FTP apps. I have been using it for appromximately 3 days now and it seems to work flawlessly. It has a very simple UI, and supports "drag & drop" from your computer to the FTP and vice-versa.

Before shelling out $25, give LiFTP a try. It's free
  • Reply 7 of 15
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I like Transmit very much myself, and I payed for it.

Don't always go for the free stuff. I think supporting third-party software companies is SO important to encourage continued development for the Mac. Transmit is VERY user friendly, and performs like a champ. Money well spent in my opinion.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I much prefer Transmit to LiFTP.

Aqua HIG= goood thing.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Tried them both now, and Transmit is worth spending the $25 on. The layout is better than LiFTP.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Open Terminal

Code:

ftp [email protected]

oh yeah.....
  • Reply 11 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    RBrowser Lite is another good one. It's kinda shareware... the Lite version has fewer features but it doesn't pester you with dialogs or cease working after 30 days. You just have the option of spending some money to get more features. I use it.

Transmit sounds good though, lots of people like it. And I may as well try LiFTP as well since it's free. And maybe I'll try the Terminal as well. I am getting to know the terminal quite well and I'm kinda proud of breaking out my CLI skillz and impressing people... although that's kinda pathetic at the same time...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    terminal is very good for the odd file here and there, especially the hidden ones that do not show up in 90% of gui ftp clients. But, its crap for uploading websites, when you might change 3 or 4 files in 3 or 4 directories.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I use the terminal whenever I need to upload 1 or 2 files. For multiple files in multiple directories, I use Interarchy, but it's not great. I'd use RBrowser, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pay for it since I have something that works. What I'd really like is for Finder FTP to start working how it should.

SH
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Yeah, i noticed in the Filesystems folder that there was a ftp.fs. This cant be that hard to do... I had a ftp filesystem (you mount the ftp sites as local paths) on my amiga in 1985.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Transmit.