Apple burns early iPad Pro adopters, loyal customers with Magic Keyboard incompatibility

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thedba said:
    nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:
    Sorry but I don’t think a person can reasonably expect a fitment-specific accessory designed to for generation A to also fit generation B.  Doesn’t matter how expensive it is.

When I buy a case for an iPhone it’s with the understanding that it’s (likely) only going to 100% fit the iPhone I’m buying.
    That’s a case. They don’t usually cost hundreds of dollars.
    The Magic Keyboard for the iPad is a case also.  It also happens to come with a nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad.  That's why it costs hundreds of dollars.

Not really, I just bought a case with a "nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad" on Amazon for a 6th Gen iPad for $59.  It works very well!
    We're talking about the iPad Pro 12.9 inch in this thread. 
    Your keyboard is for the classic iPad 9.7 inch and I'm pretty certain that they go for pennies on a dollar nowadays.  

Sorry -- but the point he was trying to make was that the Magic Keyboard costs so much ($349) because it has a "nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad".  When I can buy one with a "nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad" for $59 the point is obviously not true.

In truth:  Nobody has any idea why the MagicKeyboard costs so much -- it is way out of line with similar products from any vendor, including Apple.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 102 of 109
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    elijahg said:
    Unfortunately decisions like this are causing Apple to burn through goodwill and loyalty built up over many many years. Over the 25 years I've been using Macs they built up quite a bit, but mine is dangerously close to empty. Several friends have run out and abandoned Apple entirely. Cook forgets that without the loyal Apple customers that stuck with them in the '90's before he was on the scene, Apple wouldn't be here now. At the hands of Cook Apple is becoming typical of the big, lethargic profit rather than customer focussed companies we used to ridicule on these very forums.

It wouldn't be so bad if the thing wasn't so overpriced; I remember Jobs announcing the price of the original iPad to cheers from the audience, for less than the keyboard alone is now. Contrast that too with the dissatisfied mumblings at WWDC when they introduced the $1000 monitor stand. Cook is desperate to keep raising profit by any means, even if that includes shafting loyal customers. That is a terrible long-term strategy, it will come back to bite them in the ass.

In years past I used to be first in line for Apple's new devices, saving up beforehand to afford them. But now despite being able to afford them much more easily, I don't even consider a lot of them because they're just a ripoff.
    Tim Cook has worked at Apple since 1998.

The iPad debuted at $499. This Magic Keyboard is $349.

If you think the XDR Pro Stand if a big profit driver for Apple, you clearly have no idea how any of this works.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 109
    Yeah similar problem here when I found out my Apple trackpad that works as intended with my Intel Mac mini doesn’t work with my M1 Mac mini when I want to select & drag‼️
    So now I need to buy another WiFi trackpad or mouse to use it as my living room TV screen as monitor 4K computer.  :(
    Uh... what? It’s most certainly compatible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 109
    If the Magic Keyboard for iPad didn’t cost $350 this wouldn’t be a big deal. But, Apple made the decision to charge $350 for a keyboard case knowing that they would be increasing the size of the iPad Pro 2021 model. They may not have finalized the design of the 2021 iPad Pro while they were designing the Magic Keyboard, but when it was released in 2020 it’s highly unlikely they didn’t know it could be an issue. By no means is Apple required to make the Magic Keyboard compatible with future iPad models. That being said, early adopters and those who upgrade their iPad annually are a big reason the Magic Keyboard was successful despite being overpriced. They’re the same people who are most likely to upgrade from a 2018/2020 iPad Pro to the 2021 model.  If the 2020 Magic Keyboard ends up not being compatible at all with the 2021 iPad Pro I expect there will be a not insignificant amount of users who are pissed. If it works fine or works and just has a small gap when closed it won’t be a big deal and Apple could have helped themselves by simply communicating this upfront. 

I am one of the people that was willing to shell out $350 for the Magic Keyboard for my 2018 iPad Pro. I knew it was overpriced but figured it would work with at least one more generation of the iPad beyond the 2020 model. I was planning on getting the new 12.9” 2021 iPad Pro with 1TB (for the 16GB of RAM). However, paying $2k for the iPad and having to shell out another $350 for a new Magic Keyboard is too much for even me who usually doesn’t balk at Apple’s prices. Instead I’ll just keep what I have and once the 16” MBP is upgraded to the M series processor I’ll get one of those. I use my iPad primarily for 3D modeling in Shapr3D but now that Shapr has a Mac app I can just use that on a MBP and when I need to use the Apple Pencil to draw in Shapr I’ll just use sidecar.  

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 105 of 109
    The company already takes trade-ins of previous-gen devices, including iPads — why not initiate a Magic Keyboard trade-in program too?

It’s not Apple taking the trade-ins. They work with third parties for the program, Apple is literally just a middleman. 
    Actually they do take the trade in. They also sometimes make up the difference in the trade, meaning that they will kick in a few extra bucks. That is why lately their trade in prices on some products have gotten better. Now they do end up selling those trade ins to a couple big companies like Brightstar, but I do believe they give more than they get to get you to upgrade your device. 

In this case, (pun intended), Apple could offer a trade in for a keyboard case in good shape and offer on top of that a rebate when you buy the new one with the iPad Pro. 

If they don’t do anything, this would be a great opportunity for competitors to create their own upgrade path like Logitech and others.
    You believe, or you know? Whether they resell them to the other company or simply pass them on, if the third party isn’t dealing with iPad keyboards, then that’s not the same thing.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 109
    DRDCDRDC Posts: 1member
    Add me to the “wanted to purchase but not anymore” crowd”. I refuse to pay an extra 25% when I have a less than a year old MK for my 2018 Pro. Regardless of whether or not you think it’s justifiable for customers to have to upgrade their accessories each time a new model is released, the way they’ve handled it is pretty shady. 

It would’ve at least been easier to swallow if they added a new feature or something to differentiate the old and new MKs. Heck, even if they modified the USB-C port to handle power and data it would seem like I’m getting something in return for having to repurchase the accessory. 

It’s also strange that they don’t explicitly state on the product page for the 2021 Pro that the only compatible MK is the “new” version. It seems like they’re going to have a lot of irate customers on their hands when they find out that fact the hard way after they receive it. If I hadn’t inadvertently stumbled across this thread I would’ve pulled the trigger on Friday too without knowing.  

williamlondon
  • Reply 107 of 109
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    If the Magic Keyboard for iPad didn’t cost $350 this wouldn’t be a big deal. But, Apple made the decision to charge $350 for a keyboard case knowing that they would be increasing the size of the iPad Pro 2021 model. They may not have finalized the design of the 2021 iPad Pro while they were designing the Magic Keyboard, but when it was released in 2020 it’s highly unlikely they didn’t know it could be an issue. By no means is Apple required to make the Magic Keyboard compatible with future iPad models. That being said, early adopters and those who upgrade their iPad annually are a big reason the Magic Keyboard was successful despite being overpriced. They’re the same people who are most likely to upgrade from a 2018/2020 iPad Pro to the 2021 model.  If the 2020 Magic Keyboard ends up not being compatible at all with the 2021 iPad Pro I expect there will be a not insignificant amount of users who are pissed. If it works fine or works and just has a small gap when closed it won’t be a big deal and Apple could have helped themselves by simply communicating this upfront. 

I am one of the people that was willing to shell out $350 for the Magic Keyboard for my 2018 iPad Pro. I knew it was overpriced but figured it would work with at least one more generation of the iPad beyond the 2020 model. I was planning on getting the new 12.9” 2021 iPad Pro with 1TB (for the 16GB of RAM). However, paying $2k for the iPad and having to shell out another $350 for a new Magic Keyboard is too much for even me who usually doesn’t balk at Apple’s prices. Instead I’ll just keep what I have and once the 16” MBP is upgraded to the M series processor I’ll get one of those. I use my iPad primarily for 3D modeling in Shapr3D but now that Shapr has a Mac app I can just use that on a MBP and when I need to use the Apple Pencil to draw in Shapr I’ll just use sidecar.  

Those thoughts are running through the minds of others as well.
    Much of Apple's marketing relies on the image and emotional appeal of the company and its products rather than objective measurements of speed, etc...   And, once a consumer becomes disillusioned with a brand, they start to look elsewhere -- which can be disastrous for that brand.

Or, to say it another way:  emotional appeal may be one of the most important parts of a company's marketing scheme.   And once the consumer feels "burned" that emotional appeal can become suspicion, doubt or even hatred -- which is a negative factor for the manufacturer.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/221474

Looks like this article is off base as the 2020 keyboard will work with the 2021 model.