Microsoft Teams noise suppression feature coming to macOS

Posted:
in Mac Software
The noise suppression feature debuted on MicrosoftTeams in 2020 for PC and will now roll out to Mac users by the end of August.

Teams on Mac will get audio suppression in new update
Teams on Mac will get audio suppression in new update

Microsoft Teams has slowly been updated on macOS to have feature parity with its Windows counterpart. The chat app is similar to Slack with text-based chat, video calling options, and file-sharing systems.

The noise suppression feature was initially released on the Windows version of Microsoft Teams in October 2020. It enabled three levels of noise suppression using algorithms, but it never made it to the Mac.

The automatic setting enables background noise removal based on ambient noise. "Low" will remove constant noise like air conditioning, and "high" eliminates any noise that isn't human speech.

According to Windows Latest the noise suppression feature will only have automatic and low settings on Macs with the M1 processor. The high setting will not be available, and no direct reason was given.

"We will begin rolling this out in late April and expect to complete rollout in late August," Microsoft said. "The high setting is unavailable for Mac Users with M1 Arm Processor."

This means the high setting will appear on Intel machines, but there may be a minimum system requirement for it to be selected. The high setting filters out noises like chewing, dog barking, or other stray noises.

Microsoft continues to update the Microsoft Teams app for Mac with improved native feature support and parity with Windows. Soon, Microsoft Teams users will be able to share system audio when using screen sharing, and notification center will show Teams notifications for the first time.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    narwhalnarwhal Posts: 119member
    Slightly off-topic, but I use Skype for a class I teach, and one of my student's latency results in a 5-second-delay echo that is making the app unusable. Zoom has no issue with his latency, and I wish Microsoft would fix Skype. Next week, we may be switching to Zoom. It's remarkable that 9-year-old Zoom is improving so much faster than 18-year-old Skype. At one time, Skype was a verb, but Microsoft was okay relinquishing its lead?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Teams works well on my iPhone 11 Pro, as well as my Watch.
    I work for a multinational that uses Zoom and GTM... my business unit prefers Teams, and I agree.  Just an all-around better experience.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    narwhal said:
    Slightly off-topic, but I use Skype for a class I teach, and one of my student's latency results in a 5-second-delay echo that is making the app unusable. Zoom has no issue with his latency, and I wish Microsoft would fix Skype. Next week, we may be switching to Zoom. It's remarkable that 9-year-old Zoom is improving so much faster than 18-year-old Skype. At one time, Skype was a verb, but Microsoft was okay relinquishing its lead?
    The EndOfLife will be July 31 this year for Skype Business. I reckon that they will let Skype for individuals live for some time in order not to loose users, but eventually Skype will die and all relevant features a part of Teams together with all sorts of collaborative facilities.