Leaked Apple schematics and extortion threats removed from dark web

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The ransomware group attempting to extort $50 million from Apple has pulled down previously leaked schematics and removed all references to the previous demands.

Leaked Apple schematics and extortion threats removed from dark web

On April 20, ransomware REvil posted on the dark web that it had obtained stolen Quanta documents revealing details of upcoming Apple Watch, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models. The group threatened to leak the documents if Apple did not pay a $50 million ransom.

The group had initially attempted to get money from Apple supplier Quanta, though the effort fell flat.

In total, 21 images were leaked, showing various features of an alleged upcoming MacBook Pro, including an SD card slot, HDMI slot, and a MagSafe charger.

The images have been mysteriously removed from their spot on the dark web, as pointed out by MacRumors. The group does not explain why it removed the images, and all references to the extortion attempt have been erased.

Apple has not commented on the breach at this time but has historically chosen not to interact with hackers. In 2017, a hacker group attempted to extort Apple by holding customer data ransom. Apple told the group, "we do not reward cyber criminals for breaking the law."

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Tim must have released the AST (Apple Shock Troopers).
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Did AI staff delete the copies of the documents that they grabbed while they were available?  Might be legally prudent.
    byronllkruppiHyjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The hopeful part of me wants to think Apple called in a “favour” from some “friends” and they made the group an offer they couldn’t refuse.
    The realist part of me knows Apple or Quants likely paid the ransom, thereby funding the group to victimize others. 
    Beatspulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    SD Card slot? Floppy disk too?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    In my head, I’m picturing SWAT teams raiding the homes of the miscreants, to the surprise of their parents.

I hope Apple didn’t pay the ransom.  That will only encourage more people to try.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Did AI staff delete the copies of the documents that they grabbed while they were available?  Might be legally prudent.
    Didn't you see the picture in the article?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    One possible scenario is that the drawings were intentionally created as part of a counter-industrial-espionage gambit to locate leakers and hackers, and to seal up vulnerabilities. One might imagine that decoy drawings highlighting reversals of prior design decisions could generate plenty of attention while giving up absolutely nothing about actual future innovations. Decoy drawings featuring new things would either have to be so outlandish that that they'd be spotted as fake right away, or so plausible that they'd potentially get too close to actual R&D under consideration that they'd rather not share. Some of us thought the design reversals were preposterous, too, but clearly enough of us didn't. Time will tell.
    Beatselijahgjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sflocal said:
    In my head, I’m picturing SWAT teams raiding the homes of the miscreants, to the surprise of their parents.

I hope Apple didn’t pay the ransom.  That will only encourage more people to try.
    Like in the movie ‘Hackers’ starring a very young Angelina Jolie.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18

If anyone remembers the days of ‘Fake Steve Jobs’ he always sent ‘Katie’ or ‘Moshe’ take care of problems... permanently.
    iHywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Falcon and the Winter soldier do contract work pro Bono. Just saying. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Any word on new features in new Apple Watch ? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Japhey said:
    No new Apple Watch coming. In fact Apple has announced it will be leaving the smartwatch market immediately forthwith. Does that answer your question?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 13 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    lkrupp said:
    Japhey said:
    No new Apple Watch coming. In fact Apple has announced it will be leaving the smartwatch market immediately forthwith. Does that answer your question?
    You seem like a really good guy. I’ll bet your friends and family all consider it a great joy to be around you. 
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Apple drone program confirmed.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    “Do you know how many hitmen $50 million would buy?”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The MacBook Pro with SD card slot must be a leak from 2008. 
    jony0
  • Reply 17 of 18
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The one they have was released by Revil as an example. It is in the public domain. This has been mentioned dozens of times. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

DAalseth said:
    The hopeful part of me wants to think Apple called in a “favour” from some “friends” and they made the group an offer they couldn’t refuse.
    The realist part of me knows Apple or Quants likely paid the ransom, thereby funding the group to victimize others. 
    If they paid the ransom they will keep paying a ransom. Not good business sense. Also these schematics aren't really any kind of help to competitors, all they are if true, is confirmation of the next models. Leaks in other words.