Apple's 'M2' processor enters mass production for MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 291
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    These old-schoolers crack me up.  I'm considered old-school as well, but it seems some of you will hold on to your obsolete, but "upgradeable" PC's until someone pulls them from your cold, dead hands. 

Like those that complained about removing floppy drives and CD-ROM drives, the move towards integrated systems is inevitable.  What one loses from upgradeability one gains in mobility, reliability, better design, and lower cost.  

I enjoyed those upgrade days, I even upgraded the RAM on my 2020 iMac but I know there will be a day when that will no longer be an option.  I accepted it.  You really need to as well.

I've been needing a new MacBook Pro to replace my current one that was ruined by a reckless co-worker's smoothie drink.  I'm waiting for the new M(x) laptops and am very excited.  I used an M1 MacBook Air and was absolutely floored with the performance.  I'm embracing Apple's new models with open arms.

Fidonet127tmayrundhvidwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 291
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For all those defending the "Everything Glued together & soldered together" assembly of the MacBooks by saying "Nobody ever upgraded a computer", Andrew just called bull!

His biggest (only?) complaint about his M1 MacBook Air is that it can't meet his needs because it is frozen in time with what it came with when he bought it -- versus his MacPro which grew and developed with enhancements as his needs, wants and requirements grew.

Likewise, my 9 year old i7 Thinkpad runs perfectly well and meets all of my needs -- because it's been upgraded to a 500Gb SSD, 16Gb Ram and an internal harddrive used for ongoing, real time backups.  Without those cheap and very simple to install (5 minutes or less) upgrades the machine would have been scrap
    Nah. Expecting to be able to upgrade a laptop is as stupid as expecting to upgrade a tablet. I'm a hardcore tech nerd software dev, and have never upgraded anything other than RAM on a notebook. And now I just get what I need upfront. I have never, ever upgraded the storage or (lol) processor. That may be some DIY hobby thing you're into, but 99.9% of Apple's market doesn't do it. They aren't going to make compromises for the .1%, get real.

It's appliance computing. Don't like it? Get a Dell.

Andrew disagrees.
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 291
    qwerty52 said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    For all those defending the "Everything Glued together & soldered together" assembly of the MacBooks by saying "Nobody ever upgraded a computer", Andrew just called bull!

His biggest (only?) complaint about his M1 MacBook Air is that it can't meet his needs because it is frozen in time with what it came with when he bought it -- versus his MacPro which grew and developed with enhancements as his needs, wants and requirements grew.

Likewise, my 9 year old i7 Thinkpad runs perfectly well and meets all of my needs -- because it's been upgraded to a 500Gb SSD, 16Gb Ram and an internal harddrive used for ongoing, real time backups.  Without those cheap and very simple to install (5 minutes or less) upgrades the machine would have been scrap

The question is:
    Are you buying a computer to work with it, or are you buying a computer to work on it? 
    Are you trying to make it beter, because the computer-maker didn’t make it good enough?
    Are you doing the same with your car? Every two years changing the old engine with a new, more powerful one?

Both my personal work and my technical work are/were focused on insuring that the product meets the user's needs at the lowest possible cost.   If that means upgrading a machine I upgrade it.

I don't throw away a car because it needs a set of snow tires.  Neither do I discard a computer because it needs some RAM or an SSD.  That's just throwing money away.
    edited April 2021 baconstangelijahgwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 291
    Wgkrueger said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    seanj said:

Only a tiny percentage of people tinker with the computers, it’s a niche market that’s similar to those that add nitrous oxide to their cars...
    Most people just want a computer they can do things with, rather than do things to, in other words a consumer product. With Apple they get that, which is why customer satisfaction is so high.

If you have a 9 year old Thinkpad then you’re probably either running XP (good luck browsing the Internet securely) or you’re running Linux. If it’s the latter then if you happy with a limited number of professional applications then that’s fine.

I forgot to mention that its running WIndows 10.  So, its security is a good as good as any Windows machine.   Admittedly that's a low bar. 
    But the point of the post was NOT about lengetivity but to reiterate what Andew said:   His MacPro remained functional because it could be upgraded with additional RAM & Storage -- while his MacBook AIr could not meet his needs because it was all glued and soldered together and locked into its initial configuration when he bought it.
    If it needed to be upgraded immediately then it can be returned to Apple. If his needs exceeded the capabilities of a maxed out machine then he couldn’t upgrade it anyway (thinking memory here) and he could return it to Apple. If he used it for a period of time and his use cases changed so they exceeded the machines capabilities, which I think was part of your original point, then it’s a case of longevity. 

You need to watch the video to know what he said -- which was:  His MacPro continued to meet his needs because of ongoing upgrades he made to it.  Since that was not possible on his MacBook Air, the machine, although fast enough, could not meet his  needs -- at least not without a number of garbage workarounds.
    Well I was addressing your comment where you said it was “NOT about longevity”. Your original post mentioned a 10 year old machine so I assumed you meant that to mean longevity. In reading subsequent posts it looks like your point is more about being able to tailor the machine to changing needs … over time … :-)

Exactly!
    baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 291
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm pretty sure no one on this forum ever said what you've quoted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 291
    thedba said:
    thedba said:

Statements such as this remind me of my now deceased father who used to long for the days of when he could service his car himself. 
    I sometimes wonder what he would say seeing today's Teslas or Priuses. 

Either way, all technology will move towards this way of doing things with ARM architecture taking up more space. Apple is just ahead of the curve on this. 

I don't see the logic behind equating an inability to service or upgrade something as synonymous with better products.
    Not what I said. 
    It's just that if you don't see it now, the writing is on the wall for x86 chips. 
    The whole industry will be going towards ARM architecture system on a chip with integrated RAM, powerful enough integrated graphics engine, neural engines etc.
    The days of popping open the lid and adding your own RAM are gone. 

Apple is ahead of the curve in that respect. 

RAM is not part of the processor.  It's on the motherboard.   Most put it in a socket.   Apple solders it in.  The same is true for the SSD
    williamlondon
  • Reply 67 of 291
    melgross said:
    thedba said:

Statements such as this remind me of my now deceased father who used to long for the days of when he could service his car himself. 

Either way, all technology will move towards this way of doing things with ARM architecture taking up more space. Apple is just ahead of the curve on this. 

I don't see the logic behind equating an inability to service or upgrade something as synonymous with better products.
    For many products, a lack of upgradability means a smaller, sealed product which is more reliable and easier to carry around. In my own business, we generally had about 32 Macs. We would replace about a third every year, moving them down a tier in production until the forth year, when we either sold them or gave them away to employees. So we replaced all of our Macs over a three year period. Every other production house I knew did pretty much the same thing. My wife worked at Citicorp for 28 years, and she got a new computer every three years too, and most corporations are on a three year replacement schedule.

we found that it cost more, and was a loss in productivity, to upgrade machines. For a short while that was a popular thing, as you could get excellent CPU upgrades for the Mac, significantly enhancing performance, something that never worked well with Windows machines. What we found best was to just get machines equipped the way we needed them in the first place. If you’re making real money with your machine, either as an individual, or as a corporation, you get to deduct many expenses, such as cost of equipment in several ways for tax purposes, making your purchases less expensive over the life of the machine. Discuss it with your accountant.

increasing RAM can help, but not by nearly as much as you think. The reason why some claim this as a big thing is because they bought the lowest config in the beginning, which was below their needs. So yes, increasing it made a noticeable difference. But if you buy what you need in the beginning, adding more leads to a minor difference. Same thing with drives. Don’t skimp on a startup drive. Smaller drives and storage is always slower. That’s true for hard drives, SSD’s and internal NAND storage. There are real reasons for that. Figure out what you really need, and double it. Be realistic about both. Remember these days that 512 NAND will be almost twice as fast as 256, and that 1TB doesn’t add much speed above that. But I always get 1TB startup because you really shouldn’t keep NAND more than about 60% full for good NAND long term health.

there are a bunch of common sense rules to follow if you understand your needs and how to satisfy them. Upgrading in mid stream rarely gets you much unless you starved your machine in the beginning.

I agree.   a completely sealed, integrated, non-upgradeable device makes sense in something so small and portable like an iPhone or maybe even an iPad.
    But in a larger machine that serves no functional purpose -- except for planned obsolescence.  And, the larger the machine the more sense it makes to make it upgradeable -- such as Andrew's MacPro in this instance.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 68 of 291
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Wgkrueger said:
    seanj said:

Only a tiny percentage of people tinker with the computers, it’s a niche market that’s similar to those that add nitrous oxide to their cars...
    Most people just want a computer they can do things with, rather than do things to, in other words a consumer product. With Apple they get that, which is why customer satisfaction is so high.

If you have a 9 year old Thinkpad then you’re probably either running XP (good luck browsing the Internet securely) or you’re running Linux. If it’s the latter then if you happy with a limited number of professional applications then that’s fine.

I forgot to mention that its running WIndows 10.  So, its security is a good as good as any Windows machine.   Admittedly that's a low bar. 
    But the point of the post was NOT about lengetivity but to reiterate what Andew said:   His MacPro remained functional because it could be upgraded with additional RAM & Storage -- while his MacBook AIr could not meet his needs because it was all glued and soldered together and locked into its initial configuration when he bought it.
    If it needed to be upgraded immediately then it can be returned to Apple. If his needs exceeded the capabilities of a maxed out machine then he couldn’t upgrade it anyway (thinking memory here) and he could return it to Apple. If he used it for a period of time and his use cases changed so they exceeded the machines capabilities, which I think was part of your original point, then it’s a case of longevity. 
    I've been lurking here, but I'll now weigh in on this debate.   Put simply, I see both sides of it.  All things being equal, I'd rather have user upgradable RAM, SSD, and replaceable battery.  On the other hand, Apple doesn't glue and solder everything just to build-in obsolescence.  They do it to maximize design and performance, as well as reliability.  Granted, you can't switch out components, but the idea is you usually won't need to. Or, most people won't.   It's one reason my 2015 MBP feels a lot more solid (yet is thinner and lighter) than my 2009 MBP.  The latter has user serviceable HDD/SSD and battery, the former does not.  But I've had to replace said HDD/SSD twice and the battery once (as well as the charger).  The battery now needs to be replaced again.   I've used my current MBP for nearly 6 years and I've had no issues or need to upgrade. I'll likely wait until the M2 comes out.  

Concerning the argument you folks are having on a machine not meeting needs any longer:  There are some caveats there.  Granted, a MBA is not going to be upgradable like a Mac Pro is.  But who is buying a MacBook air for the same purpose as a Mac Pro? The Mac Pro is a workstation class machine now.  People are shelling out 5 to 20K on one.  They expect it will last at least 10 years, probably longer.  They are buying cutting edge performance for video/audio/photo production or animation.  But they are also buying a modular and upgradable system for the long term.  The market for the MBA and even the MBP is different.  You might be buying a higher end machine, especially with the MBP.  You might drop $3K on one.  Or even $6K if you go all out.  But everyone who buys a laptop knows you're not likely going to get more than 5-6 years out of it with heavy use.  It might survive longer, but even Apple says products that are 7 years old are obsolete.  5-7 years is vintage.  Consider the fact that many people get a new $1000+ iPhone every 1-2 years (me included).  Is a $1500 MBA really much different?  

The point?  Apple clearly looked at what its customers were actually doing, and found the benefits of hardwiring and gluing everything outweighed the negatives.  While I can see the other side, I agree.  I've had Macs since the Pismo PowerBook G3 (2000).   The number of issues I had with those machines (getting a new one every 3-4 years) was far, far higher than now.  The products are not as serviceable or upgradable.  But they also don't need to be.  

Fidonet127tmayrundhvidwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 291
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

nht said:

For every point, there is a vast majority of people who never upgrade the internals of their computers. You can rally and complain about that all you want, however there are millions of computers including Apple that haven’t been upgrade for years. Our 2014 Air and Mini are some of those. Apple is selling more ASi Macs than Intel Macs and every one of them are all soldered together. Apple knows their market. Rather than scrapping them, Macs do have a high resale value. 

Did you watch the video?   Andrew called bull.... 
    He replaced a $6K machines with a $1.2K machine.  And it worked.  Let's see...he can replace his MBA FIVE times for the cost of the Mac Pro.  Video editing with FCP was faster on the MBA than on his Mac Pro.

Nobody gives a shit about upgradeability when your cost is cut 5X.  Especially when you can dock and connect to your RAID array, power, network and other peripherals with one (or two) cables.  The Mac mini becomes a HUGE freaking bang for the buck.  And while eGPUs don't work with enclosures other cards have been updated to with a M1 Mac.  For example BlackMagic released Desktop Video 12.0 adding Mac OS Big Sur and Apple M1 support for DeckLink 4K and 8K models, Intensity Pro 4K and UltraStudio Thunderbolt 3. 

Yes, this.  More to the point and more concise than my post above.  I'd even add that most users don't care about upgradability PERIOD.  I used to, and don't anymore.  I used to upgrade RAM all the time. I've replaced HDDs and SSDs.  I've replaced internal batteries in MBPs.  The bottom line is I don't need to anymore.  If someone is more a PC hobbyist, then buy a PC.  If you want a user upgradable machine because that's your thing, baby.......buy a PC or Mac Pro.   Problem solved.  
    rundhvidwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 291
    melgross said:
    thedba said:

For many products, a lack of upgradability means a smaller, sealed product which is more reliable and easier to carry around. In my own business, we generally had about 32 Macs. We would replace about a third every year, moving them down a tier in production until the forth year, when we either sold them or gave them away to employees. So we replaced all of our Macs over a three year period. Every other production house I knew did pretty much the same thing. My wife worked at Citicorp for 28 years, and she got a new computer every three years too, and most corporations are on a three year replacement schedule.

we found that it cost more, and was a loss in productivity, to upgrade machines. For a short while that was a popular thing, as you could get excellent CPU upgrades for the Mac, significantly enhancing performance, something that never worked well with Windows machines. What we found best was to just get machines equipped the way we needed them in the first place. If you’re making real money with your machine, either as an individual, or as a corporation, you get to deduct many expenses, such as cost of equipment in several ways for tax purposes, making your purchases less expensive over the life of the machine. Discuss it with your accountant.

increasing RAM can help, but not by nearly as much as you think. The reason why some claim this as a big thing is because they bought the lowest config in the beginning, which was below their needs. So yes, increasing it made a noticeable difference. But if you buy what you need in the beginning, adding more leads to a minor difference. Same thing with drives. Don’t skimp on a startup drive. Smaller drives and storage is always slower. That’s true for hard drives, SSD’s and internal NAND storage. There are real reasons for that. Figure out what you really need, and double it. Be realistic about both. Remember these days that 512 NAND will be almost twice as fast as 256, and that 1TB doesn’t add much speed above that. But I always get 1TB startup because you really shouldn’t keep NAND more than about 60% full for good NAND long term health.

there are a bunch of common sense rules to follow if you understand your needs and how to satisfy them. Upgrading in mid stream rarely gets you much unless you starved your machine in the beginning.
    The upgradeability of older MacBooks has made it possible for artists and others who don't have much money to keep their older Macs going for a longer time than they could have otherwise, and has increased the resale value of those older MacBooks. It is an unfortunate loss, but it was a niche and its loss should not be considered a surprise. Apple does better than many companies in making sure their products run well for six years or longer, but 2020s technology and serviceability don't get along well and Apple was just a bit ahead of the game. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 291
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    omasou said:
    Sure hope the M2 supports dual 6K, 5K and 4K monitors.
    4K and 5K, probably.  Dual 6K might be an upgrade option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 291

Nah. Expecting to be able to upgrade a laptop is as stupid as expecting to upgrade a tablet. I'm a hardcore tech nerd software dev, and have never upgraded anything other than RAM on a notebook. And now I just get what I need upfront. I have never, ever upgraded the storage or (lol) processor. That may be some DIY hobby thing you're into, but 99.9% of Apple's market doesn't do it. They aren't going to make compromises for the .1%, get real.

Andrew disagrees.
    Good to know, as if we somehow missed your earlier messages. Andrew is not a part of my life or buying decisions. According to apple at the last event, they are selling more ASi Macs than Intel Macs. Every single one of the millions of ASi Macs sold so far is not upgradable. The hundreds of thousands or millions of MacBook Airs are not upgradable. Nobody is saying there isn’t a market for upgradable Macs. We are saying that the larger market doesn’t care at all about upgradable Macs. I did that when I did PCs. I have not missed that.
    tmayrundhvidwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 291
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Andrew disagrees.
    Who cares.
    tmaywilliamlondonmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 291
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    thedba said:

I agree.   a completely sealed, integrated, non-upgradeable device makes sense in something so small and portable like an iPhone or maybe even an iPad.
    But in a larger machine that serves no functional purpose -- except for planned obsolescence.  And, the larger the machine the more sense it makes to make it upgradeable -- such as Andrew's MacPro in this instance.
    I do wish that people would stop talking about planned obsolescence. That’s very rarely a thing. Things become obsolete because technology passes them by. What was a top line machine when bought becomes a low end machine in a few years. That’s the way technology works. New software often doesn’t work on old machines, often it’s not because of a lack of RAM, or drive space, though, yes, sometimes it is.

mostly advances in technology on processors and related technology means that an OS has new features, ir is even redesigned. Sometimes new security protocols cuts software out of the loop. There are many reasons. But again, don’t be cheap, and figure you can get away with less, when what you do, or will be doing at some point, requires more. That’s a sure way to obsolete a machine. But, more RAM and bigger drives likely won’t save you, because the processor and bus are too slow. So you get a machine with a PCIe 2 bus (years ago, of course) and you found, two years later that all new upgrades are now PCIe 3, and that PCIe 2 upgrades are discontinued, and you have to scramble to fine one on eBay or some such place. And you can’t play the new games properly on it anyway, or do much else.

so being an upgradablecmachine doesn’t always help. Who has a separate modem in their computer these days? No one. So you can’t upgrade that either. We could go on.
    thedbatmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 291
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    thedba said:

The upgradeability of older MacBooks has made it possible for artists and others who don't have much money to keep their older Macs going for a longer time than they could have otherwise, and has increased the resale value of those older MacBooks. It is an unfortunate loss, but it was a niche and its loss should not be considered a surprise. Apple does better than many companies in making sure their products run well for six years or longer, but 2020s technology and serviceability don't get along well and Apple was just a bit ahead of the game. 
    The reality is that it didn’t do much. As I keep saying, if you got what you needed in the beginning, you would have been better off from the start. And also again, if you’re a real pro, you get capital gains, depreciation and other advantages, so getting a new machine every three years doesn’t really cost as much as you think.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 291
    The upgradeability of older MacBooks has made it possible for artists and others who don't have much money to keep their older Macs going for a longer time than they could have otherwise, and has increased the resale value of those older MacBooks.
    Some users just keep their device for too long, when it should have been passed down the food chain.

One will probably be better off money wise by selling off the old device with the original spec and buy a more recent 2nd hand Mac. I´ve done the math a couple of times, and more often than not, the cost difference between upgrade and replacement would not be significant enough to make upgrade worthwhile when taking the depreciation of value into account for both alternatives. As long as you are cautious when purchasing the 2nd hand. 

• Reply 77 of 291
    thedba said:

There are plenty of repairs you can make yourself on a modern automobile.
    elijahgwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 291
    People wonder why the US is losing its manufacturing base when the average American is no longer expected to be capable of making a five minute repair or upgrade.
    elijahgwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 291
    melgross said:
    The reality is that it didn’t do much. As I keep saying, if you got what you needed in the beginning, you would have been better off from the start.

And also again, if you’re a real pro, you get capital gains, depreciation and other advantages, so getting a new machine every three years doesn’t really cost as much as you think.
    Both USA and the rest of the world are very diverse wrt living standards and economic capacities, and the Mac users are just as diverse. 

For many Mac users your arguments are spot on, but others are living in a totally different economical and social reality. Some for decades, others have had to face a recent brick wall. And for many, every single buck counts. For some of these an upgrade makes the difference between having a useable computer (Mac) or not having access to a computer (Mac) at all.

I've bought many cheap old Thinkpads, upgraded them and donated them to organisations for distribution, and the feedback from the receivers was priceless.  
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 80 of 291
    There are plenty of repairs you can make yourself on a modern automobile.
    Unless you are a very experienced and/or certified car mechanic for the relevant modern/new car, please advise the next owner what repairs you have carried out before the sale is completed. It's highly unlikely that the next owner of such car would be me.