Apple touts ad attribution tools following App Tracking Transparency rollout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Following the rollout of iOS App Tracking Transparency protections that require developers to ask permission before tracking users' IDFA tags, Apple touted its own set of ad attribution tools that are not subject to the same onerous demands.

Data Privacy

Detailed in a post to Apple's developer webpage, Private Click Measurement is an alternative to user data tracking that allows advertising networks to measure clicks within apps and websites that navigate to a website. Importantly, because the tool does not track user data, specifically identifier for advertisers (IDFA) tags, developers can use it without asking for permission under Apple's App Tracking Transparency rules.

Available with iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5, which saw release on Monday, Privacy Click Measurement maintains user privacy through minimal data collection policies and on-device processing, according to a recent Apple privacy report.

"After a user clicks on an ad for a product in an app, the web browser itself, using Private Click Measurement can give advertisers information that a user clicked on their ad, and that it led to a certain outcome on their website, such as a visit or a purchase -- without giving them information about who specifically clicked on the ad," Apple says.

The resulting information can be used to craft better advertisements.

Apple is also set to introduce a new revision of the SKAdNetwork in iOS 14.6 and iPadOS 14.6. An alternative to direct data tracking, SKAdNetwork gives advertisers a look into ad effectiveness by correlating app installs with ad views. No device-level data is shared, making the tool a more secure replacement for existing solutions.

Version 3.0 of the SKAdNetwork will enable attribution postbacks if an ad fails to win an attribution, Apple says. If an ad qualified for attribution but failed to convert, it can be viewed by up to five other advertising networks using the new protocol.

The new ad tools could prove popular with developers after this week's introduction of strict ATT guidelines. Heralded by Apple as an important user privacy feature, critics say the requirement to incorporate ad tracking permissions will dissuade users from participating and thus hurt businesses reliant on ad revenue. Separately, some believe ATT will privilege Apple's own ad platform, though the company denies those allegations.
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    The article on how to enable the new ad tracking function on AI is confusing to me. Apple’s own dialogue in Settings is no help either. Unfortunately there is no comments feature on the article so I am asking here. If I don’t want to be tracked, do I turn the toggle on or off? I am guessing that I leave it off, and by turning it on the app can ask me to opt in to being tracked. Am I right?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    The article on how to enable the new ad tracking function on AI is confusing to me. Apple’s own dialogue in Settings is no help either. Unfortunately there is no comments feature on the article so I am asking here. If I don’t want to be tracked, do I turn the toggle on or off? I am guessing that I leave it off, and by turning it on the app can ask me to opt in to being tracked. Am I right?
    I find it confusing too. 
    I wish the option were like “Block advertisers etc…”, to be turned on, and on by default. 
    And how do we know it’s working? I wish I could be receive positive information that an app requested private info but iOS denied it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Having the option turned off is a blanket DO NOT TRACK for all apps.  If you want the granular choice of allowing or disallowing tracking in apps, then you need to enable the setting.

But to be honest, I had it on and could not find an app that actually asked me if I wanted to allow tracking.  

It's like a feature that doesn't seem to do anything.  Yet.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Having the option turned off is a blanket DO NOT TRACK for all apps.  If you want the granular choice of allowing or disallowing tracking in apps, then you need to enable the setting.

But to be honest, I had it on and could not find an app that actually asked me if I wanted to allow tracking.  

It's like a feature that doesn't seem to do anything.  Yet.
    Apps need to be updated first in order to see the prompt. But the feature itself already does one thing, you just don’t notice it; it already stops apps from using the IDFA.
    edited April 2021 jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    "Onerous" demands? So the author of this article thinks Apple is wrong for ending surreptitious user data collection? Or the author believes other ad systems are incapable of matching the non-specific IDFA collection approach that Apple is using?
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    If you leave it off, no one can track you across apps or sites, and they cannot even ask to track you.  If you turn it on, apps are allowed to ask your permission for tracking you across apps & sites.  

These details are in the "Learn more..." link on the same page as the toggle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    If you leave it off, no one can track you across apps or sites, and they cannot even ask to track you.  If you turn it on, apps are allowed to ask your permission for tracking you across apps & sites.  

• Reply 8 of 9

• Reply 9 of 9
    evolut said:
    I find it confusing too. 
    I wish the option were like “Block advertisers etc…”, to be turned on, and on by default. 
    And how do we know it’s working? I wish I could be receive positive information that an app requested private info but iOS denied it. 
    No, that's not what it does.  It does not block adds of any kind.

Nothing to do with wether you will received adds or not.
    watto_cobra