Delta to give every flight attendant an iPhone 12 with AT&T 5G

Posted:
in iPhone
Delta Air Lines has partnered with AT&T and Apple to give every one of its 19,000 flight attendants an iPhone 12 equipped with 5G, in hopes of creating a more traveler-centric experience.

Delta

The company believes that the switch to the iPhone 12 should help enhance the travel experience for all passengers, and also hopes to implement augmented reality into the way it manages its flights. For instance, a flight attendant could access in-cabin inventory using the AR available on the iPhone 12.

The company also plans to use AR to create immersive training to help flight attendants perform critical tasks -- such as a safety check or passenger assistance -- from anywhere.

This isn't the first time that Delta has switched employees over to Apple devices. In 2017, an internal email sent to Delta employees stated that the company would be switching from the Microsoft Surface to the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and swapping the company-provided Nokia Lumia 1520 phablets for the iPhone 7 Plus.

In 2019, Delta was the first airline to use Apple's Business Chat feature in Messages to provide help to its customer base. The feature allows passengers to ask questions and receive answers via the iPhone's Messages app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    What does this mean:

access in-cabin inventory”.     ??

is this referring to the passengers?  (Eg are there any passengers that did not board and hence we have an empty seat?)
    mknelsonanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I can see the flight attendants installing "FlightRadar24" on these iPhones to inform impatient passengers exactly where they are, at what height, and how much further they have to go!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ???  Why would this be necessary when Delta's inflight Entertainment and the Fly Delta app provides this information? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I can see the flight attendants installing "FlightRadar24" on these iPhones to inform impatient passengers exactly where they are, at what height, and how much further they have to go!

• Reply 5 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    I’ve always found the Flight Board app to be essential. They seem to pickup gate changes and baggage claim assignments in real time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chadbag said:
    What does this mean:

”access in-cabin inventory”.     ??

is this referring to the passengers?  (Eg are there any passengers that did not board and hence we have an empty seat?)
    Do we have enough booze left to keep those bastards quiet until we land. There, I translated for you 😁
    neilmmknelsonanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    dewme said:
    I’ve always found the Flight Board app to be essential. They seem to pickup gate changes and baggage claim assignments in real time. 
    Yeah, FlightBoard is awesomely useful. Turn on your phone after landing and you know your connecting gate info before even arriving at the terminal. And its animation is cool!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    FlytrapFlytrap Posts: 60member
    And that is why everyone will choose AirTags over Tile...

19,000 Delta Air Lines flight attendants just joined the Find My network... now you will know that you forgot your AirTagged item in the plane before the cleaning crew even gets on.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,333member
    Just curious, can passengers pay for drinks and other in-flight purchases using Apple Pay from iPhone and Apple Watch?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Trying to be cool and rebuild reputation after incidents like throwing out family from flight because autistic child would not want to wear mask.