sneaky isp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a strange question. I live in Iceland where the ISP's here charge for any foreign downloads (outside of Iceland.) I am only allowed 100mb of download. Which means that just downloading Apple's updates for my G4 powerbook will cost me a fortune every month. Does anyone know how they are able to do this (technically speaking) and if there is any work-around. I don't want to sound like a hacker or pirate, becuase I'm not. Everyone feels the same way as I do here. We're all just really frustrated. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If there are several of you with this problem you could set up a local FTP area so everyone doesn't have to pay for external downloads several times.

This may annoy your ISP, as this is probably quite a lucrative revenue stream.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Out of curiousity, is this standard for all Icelandic ISPs?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

Out of curiousity, is this standard for all Icelandic ISPs?

Yes, Unfortunately this is standard. I'm not sure how they can get away with this, but they do.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I guess they might argue its to cover the cost of the lines into iceland. The shared FTP sounds like a good solution. The only alternative would be to enquire about satalite connectivity for your downloads.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    well::: I figure the question is: They charge you for downloading anything that's outside of Iceland but do they also charge you for anything from outside of Iceland UPLOADING to you?

'Cause if they don't, then it's a matter of finding people to upload it for you, instead of you downloading stuff from them.

Damn: you got a business there if you want: pay for a dedicated server somewhere outside of IceLand. Remote-control that computer, and download 'everything' from versiontracker.com. Then via a request-system, you then upload stuff from your foreign server to people's computer (over FTP, carracho, KDX, whatever)...

or something...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by crooked spoon

well::: I figure the question is: They charge you for downloading anything that's outside of Iceland but do they also charge you for anything from outside of Iceland UPLOADING to you?

'Cause if they don't, then it's a matter of finding people to upload it for you, instead of you downloading stuff from them.

Damn: you got a business there if you want: pay for a dedicated server somewhere outside of IceLand. Remote-control that computer, and download 'everything' from versiontracker.com. Then via a request-system, you then upload stuff from your foreign server to people's computer (over FTP, carracho, KDX, whatever)...

or something...

I'm pretty sure they would charge for things uploaded to me.

The guy that I spoke to said that anything that requires you to go to an outside server will be charged. This includes : playing online games, listening to internet radio, streaming media, downloads through foreign email addresses, etc..

I was just looking for an easy way around this, but I guess it doesn't exist. Thanks for the replies though, I really appreciate it. People here at AppleInsider are always really helpful.

Cheers from Iceland.

P.S. The Mac community here is really small. I'm trying to get people here to switch.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    How about getting someone from outside Iceland to post software updates on CD to you?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    How far is it from iceland to greenland? 225 miles or so?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Sounds about right. Why?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I was trying to think if it was possible to setup a wireless link....but that seems sort of far.