Apple releases new firmware for second-generation AirPods, AirPods Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Apple released new firmware for the AirPods Pro and second-generation AirPods on Wednesday, with build number 3E751 now available to download and install.

New firmware is available for the AirPods and AirPods Pro
New firmware is available for the AirPods and AirPods Pro

The update replaces the previously available firmware, build number 3A283 for both models. This marks the sixth firmware update Apple has issued for the AirPods Pro since launch.

Apple hasn't provided any details for this update, but it may address issues with the automatic device switching feature. The update may also include compatibility with the new 24-inch iMac and iPad Pros. The update was first spotted by MacRumors.

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, with no mechanism on offer to manually force an update to take place. So long as the AirPods or AirPods Pro are in the charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app, selecting General, then About, then select their device from the menu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Apple should provide release notes...
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Yes. And a button „update now“ within settings. Automatic updates are fine, but should not be mandatory – without a chance to trigger them manually 
    jminnihandhawkins541longpathmike54
  • Reply 3 of 22
    It just doesn't work. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Finally! After playing music, putting them back and waiting. XD
  • Reply 5 of 22
    No way to force an update manually?

What a load of crap.

I have one pair tied to an older non-IOS device, and another tied to a MacBook Air.

So now I have to unpair them both, then pair them (in turn) to an IOS device so they'll update, then UNpair them from THAT device, then re-pair them to their original devices.

WOW! Thanks for the seamless "ease of use" Apple! Way to go!!!!!
    mike54
  • Reply 6 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

What a load of crap.

I have one pair tied to an older non-IOS device, and another tied to a MacBook Air.

So now I have to unpair them both, then pair them (in turn) to an IOS device so they'll update, then UNpair them from THAT device, then re-pair them to their original devices.

It takes about 10 seconds to re-pair the devices. It's not a huge deal. Do you think Apple should release an updater for the 0.1% of people that use AirPods on Android devices too? No reason they couldn't update when connected solely to a Mac, maybe they do: I don't suppose anyone has tried.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    I just opened the case, they showed up on the iPhone, and about twenty seconds later, the firmware shown in system settings changed to the new one. 

Not really a big deal…?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Yes. And a button „update now“ within settings. Automatic updates are fine, but should not be mandatory – without a chance to trigger them manually 
    Weird. I've never performed any updates on any of various pairs of AirPods. They just update in the background and I've never spent a moment thinking about it or what version they are. Just works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

What a load of crap.

I don't think you have that correct. I use one of my pairs with both a Dell work laptop, and with my iOS family of devices. After the initial pairing to iOS, and the initial pairing to the Dell, I don't have to un-pair to switch back and forth between the platforms. To use it in Windows, I right-click the their listing in the Bluetooth screen, and hit Connect or whatever it is, and it switches over from iOS to the Dell. To use it on iOS again I just select it from the AirPlay menu... In effect you can have it paired with two ecosystems at the same time, even if only connected to one of them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    and still no firmware for PowerBeats Pro..... still at 1.0.0.0.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

What a load of crap.

Sounds like you have a rough 2 minutes ahead of you. Good luck!
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member

What a load of crap.

And what a dunce.  Get over it.

You don't have to do any of the above.  Just use them with any Apple product they are already paired with (iPhone, iPad or MacBook Air). They will eventually update themselves when you put them back in the case, after use.

Wow!  Way to go Apple!  Great ease of use!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    My Pro’s haven’t EVER successfully updated, Apple won’t do anything but lie, and I’m within the warranty period. 😒
  • Reply 14 of 22
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    My Pro’s haven’t EVER successfully updated, Apple won’t do anything but lie, and I’m within the warranty period. ߘ⦬t;/div>
    Well if they came with and are still on the original firmware I wouldn’t complain as it had the best sound profile and ANC. Although since personalising the sound of mine I’m pretty thrilled with them. 
    Aside from those first couple of updates, there hasn’t been any real benefit to the updates save for bug fixes etc. If you’re fortunate enough not to have suffered any problems then again I wouldn’t worry. If conversely, you do have any issues such as connection, battery or audio problems, then you can get them replaced and they’ll likely come with the latest firmware. I must say though I’m extremely surprised that Apple would not investigate an issue such as yours being as it’s potentially quite a serious matter. I’d be curious to hear  exactly what occurred and their response. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Mine just won’t update. Tried every trick I can find 
    caladanian
  • Reply 16 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    leonid491 said:
    Second-Generation AirPods?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What a load of crap.

You could have not done anything and wouldn't have been any the worse for it.  From the smidgen of detail it doesn't sound like there's anything in this update for you anyway.

Talk about manufactured outrage. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    spheric said:
    leonid491 said:
    Second-Generation AirPods?
    AirPods pro
  • Reply 19 of 22
    elijahg said:

What a load of crap.

It takes about 10 seconds to re-pair the devices. It's not a huge deal. Do you think Apple should release an updater for the 0.1% of people that use AirPods on Android devices too? No reason they couldn't update when connected solely to a Mac, maybe they do: I don't suppose anyone has tried.
    You head out the door with your AirPods. You put them in miles from home. They don't work. It's a huge deal.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    elijahg said:

What a load of crap.

You head out the door with your AirPods. You put them in miles from home. They don't work. It's a huge deal.
    What does "updating" AirPods have to do with them not working?  You don't HAVE to have the update.  They work just the same with or without it.  And as long as they are paired with an Apple product (iPhone, iPad or Mac), they will update when they are ready.  It's a non-issue.  Just forget about it.
    elijahgwatto_cobra