Apple says user feedback to App Tracking Transparency has been 'tremendous'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple says the user response to its App Tracking Transparency feature has been "tremendous," and reiterated that the feature is meant to put a user in control of their own privacy.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The feature, which debuted in iOS 14.5 this week, requires developers to ask permission from users before tracking them across other apps and services. Although praised by privacy organizations, some large companies reliant on user data have been critical of the feature.

In Apple's Q2 2021 earnings call on Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that ATT is focused on the user and giving them the ability to make a decision about their own privacy.

"Most people should make their own mind up, whether they would like to be tracked or not," Cook said, adding that ATT is meant to put the user in control, and not Apple or another company.

Cook went on to say that Apple is "standing up on behalf of the consumer" with the feature. He said that feedback from users has been "tremendous," both before and after the official release of the feature on April 26.

When asked about whether consumers are quickly adopting the opt-out feature of ATT, Cook said that he doesn't know. He added that Apple couldn't have predicted whether most consumers would opt in to tracking or opt out. However, he added that even if there was only a small number of people who use the feature to opt out, it would be worth it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’ve only seen the prompt appear once since the update. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    This is one of the best moves Apple has made to defend user privacy. Bravo Apple.
    StrangeDays602warrenequality72521williamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    What's so baffling about this whole thing is how anyone, any company is on the opposite side, the side of let's invade customers' privacy without their consent. It's like these people have lost their minds and all sense of decency. That they actually sit together in a room and discuss how they will counter privacy protections in order to make more profit and broadcast to the world that this is the side they are on. And many of those companies will publicly support humanitarian causes. I guess when values conflict with their profit motive, they start to get a bit wavery. Put money at stake and people show their true colors; all too often it shows up some ugly colors.

It shouldn't need decent companies to police this, governments need to step up here and ban internet surveillance and fine companies for non-compliance. The amount of privacy popups on sites these days is ridiculous, ban the practise of server-side tracking entirely and get rid of the popups. This should all be client-side and in complete control by the user.
    baconstangequality72521williamlondonbeowulfschmidtjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I’ve yet to see one prompt. 
    edited April 2021 JosephAUscampercomlkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Marvin said:
    What's so baffling about this whole thing is how anyone, any company is on the opposite side, the side of let's invade customers' privacy without their consent. It's like these people have lost their minds and all sense of decency. That they actually sit together in a room and discuss how they will counter privacy protections in order to make more profit and broadcast to the world that this is the side they are on. And many of those companies will publicly support humanitarian causes. I guess when values conflict with their profit motive, they start to get a bit wavery. Put money at stake and people show their true colors; all too often it shows up some ugly colors.

It shouldn't need decent companies to police this, governments need to step up here and ban internet surveillance and fine companies for non-compliance. The amount of privacy popups on sites these days is ridiculous, ban the practise of server-side tracking entirely and get rid of the popups. This should all be client-side and in complete control by the user.
    Companies aren’t ‘standing on the side of invading privacy’ they’re saying its the ugly consequence of doing something amazing for YOU the customer, for making YOUR life easier/simpler. “We can target you with ads for things you really need!” “We can help small businesses grow!” The fact that we sell that information to the highest bidder and make boatloads of cash is nothing you need to be concerned with, after all, we helped you find that cool new pair of shoes, remember?. ie: Who cares how we treat or kill the cow, as long as the burger tastes great, right?
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    You're not seeing prompts because the default is to not allow prompts, and do not allow any app to track app & web use.

For those who have the setting to "Allow apps to ask to track me", the app generally needs to be updated to offer the prompt.  Updates that try to track, but do not prompt will be refused by Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The response to ATT has been ‘tremendous’. Could Apple have said anything else?
    edited April 2021 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nicholfd said:
    You're not seeing prompts because the default is to not allow prompts, and do not allow any app to track app & web use.
    I turned the default off so I should be getting prompts. Numerous new apps installed and updated. Zero prompts. Not one. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    igforbes said:
    nicholfd said:
    I turned the default off so I should be getting prompts. Numerous new apps installed and updated. Zero prompts. Not one. 
    If you have the default of "Allow Apps to Request to Track" set to off - no one can ask, and no one can track.  You should not receive any prompts.

And it's not about installing new apps (new to you).  It's when an app is updated in the App Store, and wants to track, AND you install that updated version on your device.  First time the app attempts to track, you will be prompted, assuming you change "Allow Apps to Request to Track" to ON.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nicholfd said:
    igforbes said:
    nicholfd said:
    If you have the default of "Allow Apps to Request to Track" set to off - no one can ask, and no one can track.  You should not receive any prompts.

And it's not about installing new apps (new to you).  It's when an app is updated in the App Store, and wants to track, AND you install that updated version on your device.  First time the app attempts to track, you will be prompted, assuming you change "Allow Apps to Request to Track" to ON.
    The default for tracker is that the toggle switch for Allow Apps to Request to Track is off. I turned that default off, meaning that the toggle switch is now green. 

I haven’t seen one prompt despite multiple updated apps. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Marvin said:

Yet listening to self-professed Apple expert Andy I(can't spell inathko)____ on MacBreak Weekly he scoffs at Apple's holier than thou position on privacy wrt to tracking and ads that he proffers provides for valuable services for SOME people... you can listen for exact delivery of his message. I am not transcribing his thoughts here. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jrc said:
    Marvin said:

Yet listening to self-professed Apple expert Andy I(can't spell inathko)____ on MacBreak Weekly he scoffs at Apple's holier than thou position on privacy wrt to tracking and ads that he proffers provides for valuable services for SOME people... you can listen for exact delivery of his message. I am not transcribing his thoughts here. 
    And for those that think tracking and ads are a valuable service, they can still be tracked.  Apple didn't remove the ability to track.  They just made it opt in, not automatic.
    watto_cobra