Apple cuts AirPods production by over a quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    I wonder if people will stop buying them as the batteries start wearing out of the original purchases and the realisation sets in of how temporary they are.
    Keep wondering. All products are temporary, even those that cost up to 100x more - incuding shoes and automobiles.
    Shoes and automobiles can be repaired.  When the battery goes on AirPods they're plastic landfill.
    There are companies that will replace the batteries in Air Pods.

https://www.thepodswap.com

"That's where Podswap comes in. The company's business model is uncomplicated. In exchange for $60 (plus $5 shipping) and your pair of dead first- or second-generation AirPods, Podswap will send you a pair of refurbished Apple earbuds with brand-new batteries."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    I wonder if people will stop buying them as the batteries start wearing out of the original purchases and the realisation sets in of how temporary they are.
    Keep wondering. All products are temporary, even those that cost up to 100x more - incuding shoes and automobiles.
    Shoes and automobiles can be repaired.  When the battery goes on AirPods they're plastic landfill.
    Try that argument again in some imaginary alternate relaity where everyone has one pair of shoes and one car to last them a lifetime. We get it, you don't like non-user-replaceable batteries. No AirPods for you then. Move along...
    I have both AirPods and AirPods Pro and enjoy them very much thanks.

No one said that cars or shoes last foerever.  But there's a world of difference between a couple of years of electronics use and then e-waste to the decade+ you can get out of a well maintained pair of shoes or a car.

You seem angry; try not to take discussion so personally.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingamtmayMplsP
  • Reply 23 of 25
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

"That's where Podswap comes in. The company's business model is uncomplicated. In exchange for $60 (plus $5 shipping) and your pair of dead first- or second-generation AirPods, Podswap will send you a pair of refurbished Apple earbuds with brand-new batteries."
    Interesting, thanks!  Sadly US only.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

If they are successful, I would expect them to provide this service in the EU, but it does makes sense to hold on to them until it's settled.

For a lot of folks that bought the earliest versions, this may not make economic sense, but for the later, full featured versions, I can imagine a long life of usage through battery replacement.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

If they are successful, I would expect them to provide this service in the EU, but it does makes sense to hold on to them until it's settled.

For a lot of folks that bought the earliest versions, this may not make economic sense, but for the later, full featured versions, I can imagine a long life of usage through battery replacement.
    I'd be interested in how they're doing it, as from initial teardowns of the original AirPods it seemed that the only way to remove the battery required splitting the plastic chassis.  However they're achieving it, good luck to them.  I hope Apple have the good sense to recommend them as a complemenmtary service, or buy them out and do it themselves.