Apple launches new Apple TV 4K with A12 Bionic CPU, redesigned Siri remote

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    mobird said:
    I wonder how this "new color balance feature" actually works and is it literally changing the TV''s settings, can it be disabled, does it restore to original settings when exited? My Sony Bravia XBR55A9G was professionally calibrated and I don't want my iPhone mucking with anything.
    Watch again - it changes the colors the Apple TV sends to the display.  It does not change anything on the TV/display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 84
    cpfcpf Posts: 7member
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?
    I don't think that's right

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A12-Bionic-vs-A10-Fusion-vs-A10X-Fusion_10166_8178_9162.247596.0.html
    I too looked at that benchmark, but I think the apps was pulled and it benchmarked OpenGL. Most iOS games use Metal right? Might be why they pulled it. 
    https://support.benchmarks.ul.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44001875723-i-can-t-find-the-3dmark-ice-storm-ios-app-in-the-apple-app-store

If you look at Metal Benchmarks the A10x is ~15% faster  

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks (i can't link directly to the Metal tab, but you can see all the A12 is lower then the A10X.  

• Reply 83 of 84
    cpfcpf Posts: 7member
    techconc said:
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?
    While there may be some benchmarks that suggest what you are saying, in practice, the A12 is a more capable chips than the A10x.  Playing a demanding game like World of Tanks Blitz, I can tell you that my son's iPad with A12 is better in practice than my aging A10x iPad Pro. 

Apple's video indicated this was somehow a tremendous upgrade though.  That clearly is NOT true.  It's a very modest upgrade.  I was hoping for an A12x at the minimum.  However, when you think about it, the A12 is perfectly fine for a streaming box and modest Apple arcade style games.

I suppose the real disappointment comes from those of us who keep hoping for a gaming edition of the AppleTV.  Something with like an M1 in it would be great.  Of course, Apple would also have to commission a few A-list games to make it appealing.  There have been rumors that Apple has been working on two versions of the Apple TV and one of them to be focused on gaming with an A14/M1 variant in it.  Let's hope there is something exciting announced this fall.
    I agree this is not much of an upgrade.  GeekBench shows the A12 with more CPU power, but less GPU power, so depending on the type of game it could be better or worse.  It's just not worth upgrading if you already have the A10x Apple TV already...  Fingers crossed they come out with an apple arcade version soon with a A12X, A14, or mind-blowing M1 version.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 84 of 84
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    There’s no accelerometer or gyroscope in the new Siri remote of 2nd generation Apple TV 4K.