Magic Keyboard won't 'precisely fit' new 12.9-inch iPad Pro but still works, says Apple

Posted:
in iPad
In a change of course from guidance given immediately after Apple's "Spring Loaded" event, the first-generation Magic Keyboard works with the 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but it might not fit "precisely."

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

In a support document focused on the keyboard accessory published Thursday, Apple says that the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard is "functionally compatible" with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an M1 chip.

However, Apple cautions that the first-generation Magic Keyboard model may not "precisely fit when closed." The support document was first spotted by 9to5Mac

The 2021 model 12.9-inch iPad Pro model is about 0.5mm thicker than the previous generation. Apple originally claimed that the old Magic Keyboard would not fit new iPad Pro models at the same time that Apple began listing the black variant as "new" alongside the white option.

Apple's Magic Keyboard for the 11-inch iPad Pro remains unchanged, since the new 2021 model retains the same chassis size and thickness.

The 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard option retails for $349, just as the previous model did. The 12.9-inch model is thicker because it sports a new Liquid Retina XDR display, which uses mini LED technology.

Apple's 2021 iPad Pro models and the new Magic Keyboards will become available for preorder at 5 a.m. Pacific Time (8 a.m. Eastern) on Friday, April 30.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sounds like Apple heard all the screaming.
    pulseimageswilliamlondonravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Was a typical knee-jerk reaction from over-entitled people who can’t wait to check if the issue is actually something to worry about. 
    cpsro[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    OK.
    In a support document focused on the keyboard accessory published Thursday, Apple says that the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard is "functionally compatible" with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an M1 chip.
    However, Apple cautions that the first-generation Magic Keyboard model may not "precisely fit when closed." The support document was first spotted by 9to5Mac

I don’t know about you, but the very small group of people impacted by this are no doubt some of the most vocal supporters and have quite exacting standards, and have money to back up their regular high level investment in Apple products. 
    Apple should throw them some sort of a bone. A very, very decent trade in for example if upgrading their iPad Pro and magic keyboard. It would not cost much because there are not many of them (them being recent year 12.9 inch IPP owners with magic keyboard upgrading to new 12.9 inch IPP), and generate good press. 
    edited April 2021 williamlondonfred1muthuk_vanalingamshareef777GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 20
    entropys said:
    OK.
    In a support document focused on the keyboard accessory published Thursday, Apple says that the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard is "functionally compatible" with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an M1 chip.
    However, Apple cautions that the first-generation Magic Keyboard model may not "precisely fit when closed." The support document was first spotted by 9to5Mac

I don’t know about you, but the very small group of people impacted by this are no doubt some of the most vocal supporters and have quite exacting standards, and have money to back up their regular high level investment in Apple products. 
    Apple should throw them some sort of a bone. A very, very decent trade in for example if upgrading their iPad Pro and magic keyboard. It would not cost much because there are not many of them (them being recent year 12.9 inch IPP owners with magic keyboard upgrading to new 12.9 inch IPP), and generate good press. 
    First off, there is a world of difference between incompatible and not not a precise fit when closed. The former is what the AI author claimed was the case. 

You are correct, you don't know about me. I'm in the very small group of people that is impacted. While a mild announce, I honestly don't feel like Apple owes me something other than what I purchased. What I bought and iPad and Magic Keyboard both worked as advertised and there was no promise of future compatibility. I knew the risk of it not working with future products when I bought it and I'm a long time customer of Apple so I know the risk is very real. Thanks for worrying on my behalf though, there I really no need though. Me and the iPad I order tomorrow will be just fine and my existing Magic Keyboard will work despite the claims of AI. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 6 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is exactly what some of us have been saying. I don’t know why Apple was all doom and gloom at first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    mjtomlin said:
    Was a typical knee-jerk reaction from over-entitled people who can’t wait to check if the issue is actually something to worry about. 
    It was Apple itself that told us that the year-old keyboard would not work with the new 12.9” iPad Pro. Not a “knee-jerk reaction” or “temper tantrum” at all — we were merely responding to what the company said. If Apple had said this up front instead — that the old keyboard will functionally work but may not close perfectly — we and many others would not have made a peep. 
    muthuk_vanalingamshareef777GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 20
    nhughes said:
    mjtomlin said:
    It was Apple itself that told us that the year-old keyboard would not work with the new 12.9” iPad Pro. Not a “knee-jerk reaction” or “temper tantrum” at all — we were merely responding to what the company said. If Apple had said this up front instead — that the old keyboard will functionally work but may not close perfectly — we and many others would not have made a peep. 
    You were responding to what Apple told you, not to An official Apple statement on this matter. I think this distinction is important. And it’s not a question as to the veracity of what you’ve said, it’s the fact that you went forward with unofficial word of mouth information to say Apple has burned some of their customers, which they didn’t. 
    Fidonet127fastasleepRayz2016[Deleted User]williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    nhughes said:
    mjtomlin said:
    You have a bit of a double standard here. You framed incompatibility as "Apple burns early adopters and loyal customers", Apple did not say they burned customers that was 100% your call to frame it that way.  That works both ways, if I feel like your piece was a temper tantrum I can call it that, I'm merely responding to what you said. Weird that you bothered when someone else exhibits your behavior. 

Also, when you say "Apple itself told us", you mean "sources within Apple support" as that is how it was attributed in the original story. Apple has had no official public communication until today. Apparently your source was wrong. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Ten bucks says there's like mm of screen exposure on the opposite edge from the hinge and it does't look or close quite as nicely, so they adjusted the build in the newer MK. Apple's tolerances are very tight, and imagine the outrage if they didn't accommodate for that. But, good thing we got a good rant article and 5 pages (or more? haven't been back to that thread) of outrage comments out of it!

It was the journey, not the destination. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I have to agree that the original editorial was poor. Apple burned? Unofficial sources to come up with such a venomous editorial, which turned out to be untrue? How many iPad devices have been compatible between generations of iPads? 
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    There are a lot of doozies in that thread but the one below has to be one of my favourites. 
    Mickey7777 said:
    This is wrong, just flat out wrong. Making the tablet thicker is no reason to make my MK incompatible. Now I gotta sell my 2020 model and MK and buy a tab S8 plus because Sammy would never do us like this. 

• Reply 13 of 20
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    What a freaking mess!
    —pay attention : This is what happens when you do product development in the same manner as most of the competing brands 😵

Form factor: If this is to be changed in the next generation of a device, make sure the new form factor is distinct and easily recognizable.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    rundhvid said:
    What a freaking mess!
    —pay attention : This is what happens when you do product development in the same manner as most of the competing brands 😵

Form factor: If this is to be changed in the next generation of a device, make sure the new form factor is distinct and easily recognizable.
    What are you talking about?

This AI thread exploded with a bunch of negative commentary and Apple should be careful?
    I think that AI could've reported it but taken a "let's wait and see" attitude instead of the "it won't work". 
    On the other hand many of us actually suspected this but there's another bunch (don't need to start naming them) who got on their keyboards and started shooting from the hip. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    nhughes said:
    mjtomlin said:
    This! But some people love to kowtow to Apple anyway. 🤦‍♂️ 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 20
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It irritates me how Apple changes the hardware of their iconic designs by 1cm or whatever causing millions of accessories to become obsolete. Apple should standardize Apple products.

For example

All iPads are the same size
    All iPad Minis are the same size
    All iPad Pro are the same size
    All large iPad Pro are the same size.

Same for iPhones, Watch, Macs etc.

Of course nothing would be perfect but it seems Apple does this sh** on purpose.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Beats said:
    It irritates me how Apple changes the hardware of their iconic designs by 1cm or whatever causing millions of accessories to become obsolete. Apple should standardize Apple products.

For example

Of course nothing would be perfect but it seems Apple does this sh** on purpose.
    All phones the same size?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    nhughes said:
    mjtomlin said:

Well, at least a peep was called for because this keyboard is also used as a case, and a case that doesn't close is not a good case.

The story needed to be reported and, I don't remember anything said there that was not essentially true and accurate.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 19 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nhughes said:
    mjtomlin said:
    I thought early on that it would work. There didn’t seem to be anything, other than the very slight extra thickness of the new model that was physically different in the external composition. That’s why when someone tried it with a piece of cardboard over the current model, I did the same. As I reported, it made almost no difference.

you guys could have tried that yourselves, and come to your own conclusion.

in my many years of using Apple products, and working with Apple, I've found that they are very often extremely conservative. Sometimes that conservatism actually hurts Apple itself, as it has here. If this doesn’t fit perfectly, with their belief that perfection is the preferred alternative to most anything else, this tiny mismatch meant that it didn’t work with the new product, because it didn’t work perfectly with the new product. The new keyboard doesn’t work perfectly with the now discontinued product but can be said to work with it because the product isn’t being made anymore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Beats said:

For example

I know you are a hard-core Apple supporter, so I am not sure if you deliberately excluded to put a "/s" at the end of your post to see how people react. If you are serious (which I very much doubt), it would be shocking because even as a neutral person (neither a fanboy nor a hater), I am unable to see much sense in your post.
    watto_cobra