Standard iPhone 12 was Apple's most popular in Q2, 'Pro' models see strong demand

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple CEO Tim Cook confirms iPhone 12 was the most popular model during the second fiscal quarter of 2021. He failed to mention the iPhone 12 mini.

The iPhone 12 Pro has strong sales despite standard iPhone being most popular
The iPhone 12 Pro has strong sales despite standard iPhone being most popular

The standard iPhone 12 has been in high demand since it went on sale in late 2020. Though Apple does not break out exact sales metrics, it did give a hint at how customer demand was distributed across each model during Wednesday's second quarter earnings call.

Quarterly revenue for iPhone was $47.9 billion, up 65.5% from the year-ago quarter. The device was a significant contributor to Apple's record-setting bottom line.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the iPhone 12 was the most popular model, as expected. However, demand for the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max has remained high -- showing very strong sales for those models.

iPhone Quarterly Revenue
iPhone Quarterly Revenue

Analyst reports have suggested strong sales of "Pro" model iPhones, especially during Q1 2021. Some analysts believe that the iPhone 12 may see a super-cycle of demand similar to the iPhone 6, the first of Apple's handsets to adopt jumbo sized screens.

Tim Cook failed to mention the iPhone 12 mini during the call. Analysts have stated the iPhone 12 mini is the least popular model by far, and some rumors suggest it will be axed from the lineup.

Apple announced a purple iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini during its "Spring Loaded" event in April. The new color will continue to drive sales of the standard model, and could provide a needed boost to the iPhone 12 mini.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I hope there’s a 13 Mini this fall.
    baconstangheinzelentropysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    I love my 12 Mini.
    It still fits (barely) in my front pockets.  While it's bigger than my old SE, I was able to keep the size down by using a relatively thin leather case.
    If they come out with a 13 Mini, I'll get one and keep the 12 as my backup.
    edited April 2021 heinzelpulseimagesGeorgeBMacHank2.0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Well, glad I bought my mini in case Apple stops producing it.
    I think it is one of those things where the buyers for the Mini are those that consciously want it and rock up specifically to buy it.. Just rocking up to try out a few phones with no firm idea seems to lead to other choices.
    GeorgeBMacbaconstangBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The large functional difference of the Pro over the regular iPhone combined with a small price differential made the pro models much more attractive compared to the regular.
    I suspect Apple will change that equation with the iPhone 13 -- either by dropping specs on the regular model or by increasing the price of the pro.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I hope there’s a 13 Mini this fall.
    I still believe that the "mini" tag discourages potential buyers, especially less techy ones. Unfortunately "SE" now means "cheaper with older tech" so that's out. I'm afraid there won't be a more compact iPhone until a foldable is introduced.
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    As I will continue to advocate, for Apple to increase the sales of the iPhone 12 mini they need to offer the mini in a "Pro" version with stainless steel and better cameras to mention a few of the current shortcomings.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mobird said:
    As I will continue to advocate, for Apple to increase the sales of the iPhone 12 mini they need to offer the mini in a "Pro" version with stainless steel and better cameras to mention a few of the current shortcomings.
    How would that increase the sales of the iPhone 12 mini?  It's be a different product, the iPhone 12 Pro mini.  If anything it'd take sales away from the iPhone 12 mini.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    crowley said:
    mobird said:
    How would that increase the sales of the iPhone 12 mini?  It's be a different product, the iPhone 12 Pro mini.  If anything it'd take sales away from the iPhone 12 mini.
    Who cares, just so it's MINI.
    If a phone won't fit in my pocket, I ain't getting it.  I don't carry a purse.  Sometimes I've got my backpack, but then I've got my MBA and my Canon with me.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    crowley said:
    mobird said:
    Who cares, just so it's MINI.
    If a phone won't fit in my pocket, I ain't getting it.  I don't carry a purse.  Sometimes I've got my backpack, but then I've got my MBA and my Canon with me.

The “mini” is too big and I don’t think the point of the mini is to be “pro”.