Intel Windows not coming to M1 VMware Fusion, ARM Windows licensing unclear

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2021
Virtualization company VMware doesn't plan on supporting x86 virtual machines on M1 Macs, and is distancing itself from Windows on ARM VMs on Apple Silicon until Microsoft clarifies its licensing terms.

Virtualization company VMware says Fusion won't support x86 operating systems
Virtualization company VMware says Fusion won't support x86 operating systems

The company updated users in a blog post this week, adding that it plans on delivering a Public Tech Preview of VMware Fusion for Apple Silicon "before the end of this year."

Explaining its stance on x86 VMs, VMware says, "To be a bit blunt, running x86 operating systems on Apple silicon is not something we are planning to deliver with this project. Installing Windows or Linux from an x86 ISO, for example, will not work."

Microsoft offers an ARM version of Windows. It's currently only available to install as a Tech Preview in Microsoft's Windows Insider program.

While rival Parallels has updated its VM app with Windows support for M1 Macs, VMware says Windows on ARM presents some licensing gray areas that it isn't comfortable dismissing without clarification.

"[Microsoft's licensing] doesn't say anything about Apple Silicon." The company added, "For the time being, our work has been focused on Linux guest operating systems, and we're confident that if Microsoft offers Windows on Arm licenses more broadly, we'll be ready to officially support it."

Apple introduced the first Macs with Apple Silicon in November 2020. Updated models of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini launched in November. M1-based models of the iMac and iPad Pro are set to release in May.

VMware Fusion running on Big Sur
VMware Fusion running on Big Sur

VMware Fusion first launched in 2007, a year after Apple began the transition from PowerPC to Intel processors. In the 14 years since, it has stood alongside Parallels as the most popular Windows virtualization apps for macOS.

The Fusion maker says it believes the next era of Macs will be less about easing the transition for Windows switchers. "I expect this platform will be one to more rapidly introduce new experiences at the expense of cutting away from the past," said the company. "Where we're headed is anyone's guess, but I am confident the direction we're moving isn't backwards."

Explaining why VMware Fusion still doesn't have any public software available for M1 machines, the firm touted its leadership position in the enterprise and perhaps echoed Steve Jobs.

"[Our leadership position is] not because we shipped first, it's because we ship when it's ready."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    ARM Windows on M1 will be interesting discussion because that may not happen as like Apple M1, Microsoft is designing/building their own in-house ARM based CPU/GPU chip.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not surprising.  As Craig Federighi said, it's down to Microsoft.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If you need to run Windows then buy a Windows PC.
    Fidonet127tmayBeatsp-dogdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    Sounds simple to you, doesn’t it? Thing is, I don’t want to have TWO computers to maintain.

Unfortunately, gaming on Macs is nowhere near the level of gaming on Windows. It used to be that we could have a Mac for both Mac OS and Windows. That was cool. The setup didn’t need to be 100% equal to a Windows PC in performance, just be comparable.

Sadly, there hasn’t been a suitable desktop Mac in almost a decade (GPU, heat, etc). Now Apple is moving away from Macs even being able to run intel Windows software at all. Result: own two computers again (consoles can bite my shiny metal ass).

It would be nice if Apple at least sold a standalone display [for an affordable headless workstation-class desktop], so that when I finally can buy a new gaming PC (GPU shortages & pricing are insane), I don’t ALSO need to have TWO displays on my already-crowded desk. Guess I need to find a usable USB KVM switch, soon. Most affordable KVM switches I’ve seen are trash and the well-built ones are rarely happy to work cross-platform & USB.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 5 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    There is a developer build of ARM64 that will work on at least one VM solution for M1 Macs if one is so inclined to try it. If and when MS finally licenses an ARM64 version of Windows, then programs will be another issue, just like we saw with 64-bit Windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:
    Sounds simple to you, doesn’t it? Thing is, I don’t want to have TWO computers to maintain.

Unfortunately, gaming on Macs is nowhere near the level of gaming on Windows. It used to be that we could have a Mac for both Mac OS and Windows. That was cool. The setup didn’t need to be 100% equal to a Windows PC in performance, just be comparable.

Sadly, there hasn’t been a suitable desktop Mac in almost a decade (GPU, heat, etc). Now Apple is moving away from Macs even being able to run intel Windows software at all. Result: own two computers again (consoles can bite my shiny metal ass).

It would be nice if Apple at least sold a standalone display [for an affordable headless workstation-class desktop], so that when I finally can buy a new gaming PC (GPU shortages & pricing are insane), I don’t ALSO need to have TWO displays on my already-crowded desk. Guess I need to find a usable USB KVM switch, soon. Most affordable KVM switches I’ve seen are trash and the well-built ones are rarely happy to work cross-platform & USB.
    Well, there you go with a perfect explanation why you should leave the Mac platform. Your own words say Apple isn’t worth it anymore. So stay with a single computer, a Windows PC. You simply do not need a Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member
    lkrupp said:
    Not all of us are lucky enough to have everything they need on macOS. I've managed to get down to pretty much one thing on Windows, but a doozy: SolidWorks. There is no  macOS version (nor is there a serious competitor either) and it is one of the standards in the field, which is essentially Windows based. Yes, I am one of maybe 50 who needs this, but I can still lament and I don't look forward to carrying a second laptop just so I can bang out that next prototype while on a long flight (when I get to fly again!).
    dysamoriadewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

I'm pretty sure the Pro desktops would of been fine desktop and more affordable than that is the M1s, which brought a lot of GPU with little heat generated. Also the ARM version of Windows can run Intel Windows software on the ASi Macs with Parallels.

I've never heard of any problems with cross platform KVMs. You are switching video, audio and USB.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

JFYI; booted into Windows 10 Pro using an external, SSD over USBc from an iMac 27" i9 with the Pro Vega 48 and 64 GB RAM gives me nearly the same performance as my PC with an i7 and a GTX 1080 GPU and 32 GB RAM, both running Steam games at 4K on 27" monitors.  I don't use Boot Camp per se but I do add the drivers to my own Windows installations.  'Nearly the same' is totally unscientific comparison I know, but around 30 fps at 4k is OK with me.  But it means I can just take my iMac and a few 1 TB SSDs with me when I drive to our summer home in New England and leave my gaming PC in Florida. I do have an M1 Mac and Windows ARM is running with no problems, it can even run Steam and play GTA V but not great frame rates and only at 1080p so no use for gaming.  Other than games it runs Windows apps very well.
    edited April 2021 roundaboutnowdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 30
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

I never run Windows on Mac but who are these people running Windows on M1 and claiming it’s 2x faster than on an actual Windows machine?

People are raving. What am I missing here?
    dysamoriaStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, there you go with a perfect explanation why you should leave the Mac platform. Your own words say Apple isn’t worth it anymore. So stay with a single computer, a Windows PC. You simply do not need a Mac.
    You have no idea what my needs are. I cannot STAND Windows. I have probably indicated as much on this forum countless times: Apple’s stuff is less irritating to me than any alternative.

I spent countless hours converting all of my Cakewalk Sonar projects to Logic 9 some years back, just so I could abandon Sonar & Windows. All my music, writing, web consumption, communications, graphics, etc... everything I do is a *far less frustrating* experience since abandoning Windows. My personal productivity increased dramatically when I moved to Snow Leopard (from Windows-whatever). Too bad Mac OS isn’t *that* reliable & efficient anymore. It’s still far better than Windows or Linux, though.

The ONLY reason I EVER put up with the intolerable hell of Windows anymore is for gaming, and that’s because I have NO CHOICE. The only choice there is “Use Windows or give up on 3D gaming”.

I refuse to deal with the support & maintenance nightmare of a Hackintosh, and that’s on top of already hating the voodoo nonsense of PC hardware.

Fact is, Apple have the *least offensive* product. It’s not as respectable as it used to be, but it’s definitely the least objectionable. The problem is that they don’t build an appropriate machine, at a reasonable price, for power-hungry usage and lots of sustained heat. And NOW they are moving to cut support of Intel-architecture Windows software. I’m not going to spend $6000 on the cost-ineffective base model of the current Intel Mac Pro just to have a Mac AND Windows gaming in one stupidly-priced box.
    iHy
  • Reply 12 of 30
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

I'm pretty sure the Pro desktops would of been fine desktop and more affordable than that is the M1s, which brought a lot of GPU with little heat generated. Also the ARM version of Windows can run Intel Windows software on the ASi Macs with Parallels.

I've never heard of any problems with cross platform KVMs. You are switching video, audio and USB.
    The ARM version of Windows isn’t available to the general public. It’s not supported by... well, anyone?? It’s even less apt to be efficient when running as a guest OS in a virtual machine. All in all, it sounds like a horrible choice for someone like me who is sick to death of being my own tech support.

It’s been many years since I last struggled with KVMs. I hope you’re correct and they’re all good now. 👍🏽
  • Reply 13 of 30

MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

JFYI; booted into Windows 10 Pro using an external, SSD over USBc from an iMac 27" i9 with the Pro Vega 48 and 64 GB RAM gives me nearly the same performance as my PC with an i7 and a GTX 1080 GPU and 32 GB RAM, both running Steam games at 4K on 27" monitors.  I don't use Boot Camp per se but I do add the drivers to my own Windows installations.  'Nearly the same' is totally unscientific comparison I know, but around 30 fps at 4k is OK with me.  But it means I can just take my iMac and a few 1 TB SSDs with me when I drive to our summer home in New England and leave my gaming PC in Florida. I do have an M1 Mac and Windows ARM is running with no problems, it can even run Steam and play GTA V but not great frame rates and only at 1080p so no use for gaming.  Other than games it runs Windows apps very well.
    👍🏽 Cool; glad to hear you’re having good experiences with that.

How hot does your iMac get? I’ve lost a MacBook Pro to thermal design failures and I’m not interested in risking any other compact machines on gaming. If someone gifted me a current Mac Pro, I’d take it in a heartbeat.

Gaming is my ONLY reason to ever run Windows. Entertainment is a part of making life tolerable, but gaming isn’t my only use for a computer. I’d rather do everything else in Mac OS, on a Mac. I can’t let gaming abuse an otherwise happy music/art machine.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    wood1208 said:
    ARM Windows on M1 will be interesting discussion because that may not happen as like Apple M1, Microsoft is designing/building their own in-house ARM based CPU/GPU chip.
    As far as I know those are gonna be for servers in their data centers. Not sure with respect to their Surface lineup. 
  • Reply 15 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    lkrupp said:
    That’s kind of where I’ve settled. As far as needing to maintain two computers, yes that’s a compromise on the hardware and physical side. However, simply having a Windows virtual machine requires maintenance and upkeep of the operating system and apps on the virtual machine. There are definitely pros and cons. One pro that I like is not having a single point failure if the VM host machine has an issue.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    rcomeau said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not all of us are lucky enough to have everything they need on macOS. I've managed to get down to pretty much one thing on Windows, but a doozy: SolidWorks. There is no  macOS version (nor is there a serious competitor either) and it is one of the standards in the field, which is essentially Windows based. Yes, I am one of maybe 50 who needs this, but I can still lament and I don't look forward to carrying a second laptop just so I can bang out that next prototype while on a long flight (when I get to fly again!).
    Sucks, but Solidworks, Navis, or Revit are run in a work environment on Windows, get two machines or suffer with ribbons…..
  • Reply 17 of 30
    dysamoria said:

MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

👍🏽 Cool; glad to hear you’re having good experiences with that.

How hot does your iMac get? I’ve lost a MacBook Pro to thermal design failures and I’m not interested in risking any other compact machines on gaming. If someone gifted me a current Mac Pro, I’d take it in a heartbeat.

Gaming is my ONLY reason to ever run Windows. Entertainment is a part of making life tolerable, but gaming isn’t my only use for a computer. I’d rather do everything else in Mac OS, on a Mac. I can’t let gaming abuse an otherwise happy music/art machine.
    The iMac i9 stays relatively cool, and the fan spins up no more than my PC's does, in fact, less, I'd say. I have the correct Vega Pro 48 driver installed for the iMac in Windows courtesy of AMD, which is crucial. It can run Microsoft Flight Simulator well, too, which I also have via Steam. The only games with an issue so far are the Assassin's Creed iterations which refuse to go full screen. However, I found they run 'windowed' OK, and the window can be almost the entire screen. 

I use a PC Wireless Mouse and Keyboard when running Windows as the Magic Mouse and Apple Keyboard have too many minor issues. The audio is weird too; I always have to manually install the Cirrus High Definition divers from the Boot Camp driver set using the Device Manager in Windows (which is easy, just do a Browse to install locally and select the Cirrus Folder) as they never get installed using the Boot Camp Installer. 

The way I make the boot SSD is by cloning my fully licensed Windows 10 Pro off my Dell using the free utility Macrium Reflect. That way, I get not only the OS but all the Steam games, etc. It takes several hours from my 1TB PC's C drive, but the results on an external 1TB SSD are worth the wait. Instant Windows and Steam on the Mac once I add the Boot Camp Drivers as described. The Clone can even run at the same time on the same LAN as the PC without issue, and both logged into my Microsoft account not that I do this other than as a test as there is only one of me and Steam only allows the use of one of them at any one time. The Mac, when booted, states it has a fully licensed Windows Pro.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Beats said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

I never run Windows on Mac but who are these people running Windows on M1 and claiming it’s 2x faster than on an actual Windows machine?

It is incredibly easy to install Windows 10 ARM on an M1 Mac if you have the new Parallels, it literally talks you through and gives the links you need.  The YouTube Videos are all out of date and complicated because they were using a beta of Parallels.  Now the release version is out it is straightforward and takes a couple of minutes from start to finish.  And yes, Windows on M1 in virtualization is bloody fast and even the X86 emulation in that setup is faster than most PCs.  The Geekbench results speak for themselves.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Beats said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

I forgot to add, you need to sign up as a Microsoft Insider, that's a requirement for downloading the Windows 10 (ARM).pvm file when following the Parallels instructions on screen.  It's no big deal and zero spam results.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 20 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    MacPro said:
    Beats said:
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

It is incredibly easy to install Windows 10 ARM on an M1 Mac if you have the new Parallels, it literally talks you through and gives the links you need.  The YouTube Videos are all out of date and complicated because they were using a beta of Parallels.  Now the release version is out it is straightforward and takes a couple of minutes from start to finish.  And yes, Windows on M1 in virtualization is bloody fast and even the X86 emulation in that setup is faster than most PCs.  The Geekbench results speak for themselves.
    I would love to know if it is possible to install windows ARM on the M1 iPadPro.   I would then like to see how the mouse support would work.   I remember reading about on older version of Citric for macOS that somehow had mouse support on the iPAd but never got to play with it.