Ikea & Sonos AirPlay 2 Symfonisk lamp may be on the way out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Ikea may be in the process of cutting the Symfonisk combined table lamp and AirPlay 2 speaker from its smart product lines, discounting the device and labeling it as an "outgoing product."

Pricing labels have been attached to the Symfonisk table lamp with Wi-Fi speaker in Ikea stores, highlighting a discount to $99.99 from an earlier price of $189. The tags on the new and sealed boxes also mention they are an "Outgoing product" and is sold "As-is" and is "Non-Refundable."

Further investigations by AppleInsider found that the lamp version is being piled in Ikea stores with the same tag. Other stores that were also contacted said they have the product showing the same labeling.

While the labels have been attached to the Symfonisk lamp, it seems that the bookshelf speaker is unaffected at this time.

Like many other stores and manufacturers, it makes sense for Ikea to change its products over time. However, it is unclear if the change will involve the lamp being replaced by an updated version, or being culled completely with no replacement.

Sonos, who partnered with Ikea on the speaker range, referred AppleInsider to Ikea as it is not "involved in their commercial strategy." Sonos added assurance "the partnership is stronger than ever," and "we look forward to sharing more when the time is right."

Ikea offered the same line that its "partnership with Sonos is stronger than ever," as well as offering to share details of range changes "when details are available."

The Symfonisk lamp consisted of a fabric-covered speaker base seemingly inspired by the HomePod, with a glass top containing the lamp itself. The speaker offered AirPlay 2 support and was able to be controlled by the Sonos app, allowing it to be grouped with other speakers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Great video review. Thanks. Looks interesting, but only at the new price. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    While I'm not happy it's going, I did find this to be quite an ugly lamp.
    caladanianStrangeDaysravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    I like it.  But it was too expensive before. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I'm not surprised, it is absolutely hideous.
    caladanianStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The stupid HomePod lamp. Funny how many people copied the HomePod design from Amazon to IKEA.

I think Apple needs a Beats situation for Home. IKEA may work but with Apple handling the tech engineering. I would vote for Apple acquiring Ring but I read Amazon bought them. Smart move.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    So you're saying that perhaps Ikea overestimated the appeal of the giant glowing marshmallow aesthetic? Huh.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    scoony7scoony7 Posts: 8member
    This is not the case in Europe, actually the other way around. The lamp is £150 or €179.
    Peza
  • Reply 8 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Still undiscounted AUD$269 in Oz. Which is a lot of moolah for an ugly lamp. Maybe it is meant to be so ugly it’s cute?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mggnmggn Posts: 1member
    IKEA subreddit discussed this about a month ago. Lamp is supposedly being replaced by a new design with lamp shades you can change. They’re also supposed to come out with floor stands for the bookshelf speakers. The oddest part of the rumor was that IKEA is a,so coming out with a picture frame of some sort with speakers built in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Did you have to assemble it yourself?  ;)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Not discounted here yet either - I like the fact that it is less connected to the Apple 'ecosystem' and isn't 'listening' like HomePod.  I keep hoping for a less proprietary surround sound wifi option that can deal with latency and eliminate the need to run wires along multiple walls and ceilings.  

Airport Express could have offered more independent audiophile grade analogue wifi options too via AppleTV, and I still use mine daily - one of so many favourite Apple products (concepts) discontinued.
    sandor
  • Reply 12 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I personally have no desire to tie my audio needs to my taste in lamp. Two different use cases. Toaster-fridge. 
    tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    It’s discounted because a new, better looking one, is coming this summer. This has already been detailed in several leaks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    In the UK,
    the Lamp in both Colours is still listed at £150 per Unit inclusive of Value added Tax (VAT).
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/symfonisk-table-lamp-with-wifi-speaker-white-70435160/ ;
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    I personally have no desire to tie my audio needs to my taste in lamp. Two different use cases. Toaster-fridge. 
     white noise for the toddlers room!

It is has been a sturdy lamp & "ocean noises" that they can turn on & off themselves (both light & music), and looks decent. 

As-is shopping @ Ikea made the price about the same as this.

watto_cobra