The critics were impossibly wrong: Apple CEO Tim Cook was -- and is -- the right person fo...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Wgkrueger said:
    MplsP said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Japhey said:
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    Apple hasn't been perfect since Tim took the helm but I would agree with the article; overall they are doing well.

Oh, and they were perfect under Jobs? Deal with your Cook hatred.
    Did he say he hated Cook? Was Jobs’ name even mentioned?  I must have missed that. 

Why are you such a dick at all times? You could just pass right on by, but instead actively choose to drop in and share your negative energy with everyone. You obviously have significant hate issues of your own to deal with. Try meditation. Or marijuana. 
    I don’t see any hate there but “since Cook took the helm” has an implied Steve Jobs there and “doing well” is a rather extreme understatement. 

My, how people can read into things - anything to take a positive comment and make it negative. As usual @lkrupp is flying off the handle. I said 'since Cook took the helm' because that's what the article (and my comment) referenced - Apple since Tim Cook became CEO. Any reference to Steve Jobs is completely imagined and serves more to reveal people's own predispositions than anything else.
    I’m going on the assumption that you meant it was me reading into things in this reply. I agreed with you that there was no hate in what you originally said but I thought your reasoning was weak. You originally stated that “Apple hasn’t been perfect since Tim Cook took over the helm” and further replied that you didn’t mention Steve Jobs. But you actually did imply Steve Jobs.  It’s the “since” part that gives away the meaning I’m taking from that statement as “since” implies “prior to” and prior to Tim Cook was Steve Jobs. Anyway, I hope this was helpful in your future engagements with others using the English language.  Oh, and Krupp has been rather dickish here of late, IMO.
    It was more of a general statement; you were the last person that replied so I replied to your post. As far as the word since goes, I guess I don't see how that implies anything about Jobs; I used it simply to indicate the time period to which I was referring with no intent to state or imply anything prior that. *shrug* 😀 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 61
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Japhey said:
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    Apple hasn't been perfect since Tim took the helm but I would agree with the article; overall they are doing well.

Did he say he hated Cook? Was Jobs’ name even mentioned?  I must have missed that. 

Why are you such a dick at all times? You could just pass right on by, but instead actively choose to drop in and share your negative energy with everyone. You obviously have significant hate issues of your own to deal with. Try meditation. Or marijuana. 
    I don’t see any hate there but “since Cook took the helm” has an implied Steve Jobs there and “doing well” is a rather extreme understatement. 

There’s nothing implied there & there was nothing wrong with the original comment 
  • Reply 23 of 61
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Having worked at Apple both under Steve and Tim's tenure I can say that when financial success came to Apple employees shared in that success. Employee stock purchase plan, health insurance options for part time employees, education reimbursement, COVID support, stock grants across all parts of the company not just for Cupertino. As for suppliers Apple has steadily prodded their suppliers to provide better working environments, limits on hours worked, workplace audits on hiring and employment practices.
     Few westerners realize the cultural differences that influence the employer/employee relationship in other countries. It is not just a case of employers driving the employee with a whip, many workers are coming from rural areas and are driving themselves into the ground to save a family back on the farm. China, Indonesia, Brazil, India and others are evolving much as the U.S. did in the 1890's - 1920's and they are progressing fast, faster than the U.S. I think.
    Point being Apple is not perfect but has consistently driven to be a better employer and is holding their suppliers to a higher standard than most other companies. And that drive accelerated under Tim and company (except for the period during the :the asshat: before Angela). 
    Thanks to Tim, all of Apple and most of all to the Apple Customers that make it all possible. 
    Agree with your points, however considering that we’re not in the horse and buggy days of the 1890’s I would certainly hope the other nations are advancing faster than the US did back then.  They have good examples to show them the way: US, Japan, Germany, S Korea).  Also, much easier to show big gains when starting from essentially zero.

China - nothing like a five finger discount on technology

Indonesia - TBD

Brazil - TBD (rampant corruption)

India - TBD (rampant corruption, brain drain, horrible infrastructure if it even exists, and outside of Mumbai not sure what is exactly advancing)
    Beats
  • Reply 24 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Haters gonna hate Cook because he isn’t Jobs.   Big deal.  Cook has taken Apple into the stratosphere.   Maybe it was all Cook, but it was really Apple as a whole.   Apple grew as a corporation and created an way of thinking about products and developing systems that got us here today.  Great new products and a great team.    iPhone has improved and done great every year since.   iPad is fantastic.  M1 is amazing.   

One is certain: Jobs was a mean person and really a big asshole to people.  That isn’t Cook.   Apple is huge and mega-profitable.   The stock ain’t lower.  

Good job, Tim.   Your next legacy is how you keep your legacy from being destroyed by those who follow you by finding the right successors.  
  • Reply 25 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Jeez!  Why is this even a topic of conversation?  Of course, Tim is, and always has been, the right person for the job.  How long will this ridiculous utter crap be repeated and worse, how long will it get trotted out as clickbait? Does running the most successful company in the history of the planet not count for anything?
    Beatsjony0
  • Reply 26 of 61
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Tim Cook deserves a lot of praise. From a customer standpoint, Apple has reliably delivered the products it promised even during the chip shortage. Apple rarely overpromises on its products capabilities. I do wish that Apple took more risks, although perhaps not at the "bet the company" level of Steve Jobs. Apple has the opportunity to disrupt the entire computer industry with the M1 and M2 processors but to do that they would have to draw far outside the lines. Steve would have created a Mac Nano by now costing around $300 with a M1 processor. It would have turned the industry upside down as the Windows world has literally nothing to compete with that. In other areas, such as VR, Apple is far behind the rest of the industry. Perhaps their AR glasses will redefine the market the way the iPhone did.
    Battery gate was under Cooks watch, misleading millions to falsely buy new iPhones when they only needed battery changes. So far he’s failed to deliver for customers in some major many regards.
    elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Cook is definitely one of the world’s best CEOs, although I find it hard to forgive the languishment of the Mac for so many years. 
    2014 to 2020 was years of high priced, ordinary machines, that only survived on brand loyalty and iPhone halo. Those macs definitely could have been much better, and functionally were not as good as the macs that came before. To this day I reckon the plan was for the iPad to replace the Mac, and when that didn’t work out, the M1 is plan B. Note the IPP has the M1 in it, which suggests it was long term plan, and the lack of redesigned MBA and MBP implies a rushed development for phase 1. I’m glad it happened though, as the growth in Mac sales means the Mac will get love again.
    edited May 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 61
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    His financial results are undeniable. His environmental results are undeniable. His human rights results are deniable.
    The lack of a coherent thought in your post is undeniable. 
    JapheyradarthekatelijahgiHyfastasleepjony0
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Totally agree! No one will ever replace Steve. But Tim’s done an incredible job!
    nubusBeats
  • Reply 30 of 61
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Many nits have been picked, many naysayers have had their say, but Tim has always stayed the course, knowing that time, rather than fomenting a tempest, instead sweeps away the wash of each butterfly’s wings.
    jony0
  • Reply 31 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple rarely overpromises on its products capabilities. 
    They literally describe loads of their products as magic though.  I always cringe as bit whenever they do that.
    nubusBeatsTRAGelijahg
  • Reply 32 of 61
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Tim Cook deserves a lot of praise. From a customer standpoint, Apple has reliably delivered the products it promised even during the chip shortage. Apple rarely overpromises on its products capabilities. I do wish that Apple took more risks, although perhaps not at the "bet the company" level of Steve Jobs. Apple has the opportunity to disrupt the entire computer industry with the M1 and M2 processors but to do that they would have to draw far outside the lines. Steve would have created a Mac Nano by now costing around $300 with a M1 processor. It would have turned the industry upside down as the Windows world has literally nothing to compete with that. In other areas, such as VR, Apple is far behind the rest of the industry. Perhaps their AR glasses will redefine the market the way the iPhone did.
    Apple already has the Mac nano.  You might have heard of it, it’s a little thing called the iPhone.
    Detnator
  • Reply 33 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:

Huh, the guys point is valid as are others that point out real short comings at Apple.   Apples relationship with China must come to an end.   Instead they seem to be adopting the attitude of the CCP when it comes to customers and the rights of the general population.   Management at Apple is either delusional or actively supporting the CCP out of greed.   The unfortunate thing is that Apple seems to have doubled down under Cook when it comes to radical politics.
    iHy
  • Reply 34 of 61
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,130member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:

Projection much?

He never said anything about Jobs or hating Cook.  
    TRAG
  • Reply 35 of 61
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    THANK YOU for this article and saying what needs to be said about Tim Cook. By just about ANY standard of measurement, he is the best CEO that Apple has ever had, including Steve Jobs. There, I said it. Steve was the visionary, no doubt, but Tim has excelled in a way Steve never did at turning that vision into success. 

Remember the doomsayers sounding the death knell for Apple when Steve died? That was 10 years ago this October and what Tim has done during the past decade is to make Apple FAR more successful than it has ever been in its history. No, he doesn't have Steve's sense of showmanship or his famed "reality distortion field," but when reality looks as good as it does at Apple under Tim, there's nothing you need to distort. Moreover, because Tim keeps a relatively low profile, Apple is no longer a cult of personality where the fear of doom accompanies a change in leadership. Whenever Tim decides to retire, I have no doubt that he'll leave the company in hands as capable as his own. 
  • Reply 36 of 61
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Peza said:
    Battery gate was under Cooks watch, misleading millions to falsely buy new iPhones when they only needed battery changes. So far he’s failed to deliver for customers in some major many regards.

Cook was praised for handling “batterygate” so well. Apple even lost money from how generous Cook was. 

No matter what Apple does some idiot has to see it in a negative light. Just like “planned obsolescence” bullsh**!
    Detnator
  • Reply 37 of 61
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:

Huh, the guys point is valid as are others that point out real short comings at Apple.   Apples relationship with China must come to an end.   Instead they seem to be adopting the attitude of the CCP when it comes to customers and the rights of the general population.   Management at Apple is either delusional or actively supporting the CCP out of greed.   The unfortunate thing is that Apple seems to have doubled down under Cook when it comes to radical politics.

I don’t get this logic. You want Apple to leave China and let those sales go to cheap knockoffs??
  • Reply 38 of 61
    I’ve said it for years. Tim Cook is the CEO everyone will hate and then miss when he’s gone. He’s made Apple 5x larger since Jobs and released the 2nd and 4th most successful products in Apple history according to sales. 

Notice all the positive change in opinion AFTER he announced he may not be at Apple in 10 years?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    Peza said:
    Cook is loved because he generates masses of profit, and whilst he does that the city and share holders will love him, they couldn’t care less about anything else he does like ignore human rights in foreign lands to mass produce products cheaply, their is no conscious when it comes to money and power. Personally I don’t like him, he’s awful to watch in the presentations. Steve was a great presenter and knew how to convincingly talk about a product passionately, Craig’s good also as he has a sense of humour and brings it out in stage, but Cook no, he’s just annoying and comes across as the arrogant man he most likely is.

Oh and I would not state the ‘iPhone’ was the it’s successful consumer electronics device of all time, I would claim the mobile phone was, also wasn’t it the massive success that saved Apple from bankruptcy under Steve Jobs? An awful lot of things under Cook have not gone well.
    Wow. You could not possibly be more off base with this rant.  

I’ll pick on one thing:  your human rights issue…. Wrong. Cook has been very active in dramatically improving the lives of the Chinese workers in his supply chain.  His Supplier Responsibility initiatives are outstanding. 

Sure, he could have just left China at the expense of his responsibility to shareholders, and those Chinese workers’ quality of life, but instead of just bailing he proactively took to those companies (Foxconn, etc.) and insisted they shape up or then he’ll ship out. 

They shaped up and that action changed people’s lives for the better. 

Complain about the Chinese government if you want but those workers are people, and Tim Cook made their lives better. I don’t know what your problem is. Get a grip. 
    jony0
  • Reply 40 of 61
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    Peza said:
    Cook is loved because he generates masses of profit, and whilst he does that the city and share holders will love him, they couldn’t care less about anything else he does like ignore human rights in foreign lands to mass produce products cheaply, their is no conscious when it comes to money and power. Personally I don’t like him, he’s awful to watch in the presentations. Steve was a great presenter and knew how to convincingly talk about a product passionately, Craig’s good also as he has a sense of humour and brings it out in stage, but Cook no, he’s just annoying and comes across as the arrogant man he most likely is.

Oh and I would not state the ‘iPhone’ was the it’s successful consumer electronics device of all time, I would claim the mobile phone was, also wasn’t it the massive success that saved Apple from bankruptcy under Steve Jobs? An awful lot of things under Cook have not gone well.
    Actually I’ll pick in another thing too… The mobile phone vs the iPhone as the most successful consumer electronics device.  

Your definitions are wrong. The “mobile” phone is not a product or device. It’s an entire category of products/devices. 

Sure. Maybe mobile phones are the most successful product category of all time. If you want to look at it that way…

Mobile phones just before iPhone were tiny devices with 12 or so keys, impossibly small screens and did little more than text and phone. 

The next iteration — smart phones — all looked like blackberries etc. with the physical keyboards and only slightly larger screens. 

But iPhone changed everything. iPhone came out and now all smartphones look like that. So iPhone has defined the latest iteration of your most successful product category idea. 

But most successful consumer electronics device… most certainly the iPhone. 

Again, get a grip. 
    edited August 2021