Apple lands upcoming Tom Hanks film 'Finch'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has outbid other streaming services to bring the upcoming Tom Hanks film "Finch" to Apple TV .

Tom Hanks vehicle 'Finch' is coming to Apple TV+
Tom Hanks vehicle 'Finch' is coming to Apple TV+

The Amblin Entertainment sci-fi film, previously titled "Bios," was initially set to release by Universal. It will now likely premiere during awards season, as reported by Deadline.

The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world after a solar event has wiped out much of life as we know it. Finch (Hanks) has been living in an underground bunker for a decade, building a world that he shares with his dog, Goodyear.

Finch builds a robot to look after his dog after he's gone, creating an "unlikely family." The trio then "embarks on a perilous journey into a desolate American West."

"Finch" follows "Greyhound" as the second Tom Hanks-starring film to land on Apple TV+. The latter has been Apple's most-watched film, and it netted an Oscar nomination for Best Sound.

Hanks in the Oscar-nominated Apple TV+ film 'Greyhound'
Hanks in the Oscar-nominated Apple TV+ film 'Greyhound'

That film starred Hanks as a Navy veteran tasked with protecting a convoy of 37 ships carrying thousands of soldiers and supplies across the Atlantic during World War II.

Miguel Sapochnik, an Emmy winner who helmed the "Battle of the Bastards" episode of "Game of Thrones," is directing "Finch." Craig Luck and Ivor Powell wrote the screenplay.

Kevin Misher, Jack Rapke, Jacqueline Levine, and Powell are producing. Executive producers include Robert Zemeckis, Sapochnik, Luck, Andy Berman, and Adam Merims.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Seems like ALL sci-fi movies these days are ‘post apocalyptic’ implying there’s no hope for humanity on the Earth. It’s either post nuclear war, post environmental collapse, post cosmic cataclysm, post pandemic, post alien invasion, well you get the picture The theme is the same, most of humanity has been wiped out and those left struggle to survive. Then there’s the obligatory sermon on the mount about all this could have been avoided if not for a few greedy, power mad individuals who started it all. It’s tiresome and boring to watch the same damn movie over and over again. When Avatar came out my astute nephew referred to it as ‘Dances with Wolves in Space’.

Star Trek was the only SciFi series that portrayed a bright future for humankind where war and poverty had been eliminated and people were free to pursue their dreams.
    maltz
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Trey_LanceTrey_Lance Posts: 98member
    Nice! I am loving Mosquito Coast on Apple TV +, I am about to cancel Disney after that disaster Falcon Winter guy show, oh my lord
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Wonder if Hank’s will complain about this film like he did Greyhound due to its limited distribution. Really does suck that theaters are taking the hit due to this damn pandemic. Nothing like the big screen. This probably is the new normal. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 4 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    “Bios” is a cooler name. 
    minicoffeelolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Nice! I am loving Mosquito Coast on Apple TV +, I am about to cancel Disney after that disaster Falcon Winter guy show, oh my lord

No accounting for taste.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    lkrupp said:
    Seems like ALL sci-fi movies these days are ‘post apocalyptic’ implying there’s no hope for humanity on the Earth. It’s either post nuclear war, post environmental collapse, post cosmic cataclysm, post pandemic, post alien invasion, well you get the picture The theme is the same, most of humanity has been wiped out and those left struggle to survive. Then there’s the obligatory sermon on the mount about all this could have been avoided if not for a few greedy, power mad individuals who started it all. It’s tiresome and boring to watch the same damn movie over and over again. When Avatar came out my astute nephew referred to it as ‘Dances with Wolves in Space’.

Star Trek was the only SciFi series that portrayed a bright future for humankind where war and poverty had been eliminated and people were free to pursue their dreams.
    Technically… Star Trek was post apocalyptic as well. "Eugenics wars of the 1990s" and all that.

But, I agree sci fi writers need to come up with some more diverse root conflicts. It can't all just reflect the current times (seriously, it's all allegory).
    kernelg
  • Reply 7 of 12
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    mknelson said:
    lkrupp said:

Technically… Star Trek was post apocalyptic as well. "Eugenics wars of the 1990s" and all that.

But, I agree sci fi writers need to come up with some more diverse root conflicts. It can't all just reflect the current times (seriously, it's all allegory).
    For consideration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots
    ...and then along came the Borg, big data and AI analogies notwithstanding... :)
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-species-ranked-weakest-powerful/
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    The plot sounds a lot like that George Clooney directed film - The Midnight Sky.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:

As we've seen in politics lately:  fear, hate and negativity sell.

But, the 60's were a different time, almost a different world.  We had been through dark times:  from WW-I to the Depression to WW-II and were faced with instant and total annihilation at any time because some jerk pushed a button.  

But:   We were united as a nation.   Science had triumphed over nature (or so we thought), TV shows seldom showed anything dark or cynical (the Smothers brothers disguised theirs with humor)  and the good guy always not only never showed a bad side but always won.  That would look very faked and artificial these days.

Yes, I still enjoy the hope, optimism, confidence  and values that Startrek displayed for us.   But I doubt we will see anything similar for a very long time.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    lkrupp said:

While a given post-apocalyptic film or TV show might be well done, you're right. It can get repetitive, It's a lazy approach to story telling. The writer's get a blank slate on which to create. Other than a brief explanation of what caused the apocalypse, they no longer have to worry about weaving their story with reality, history, or  current events, people or technology.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:

While a given post-apocalyptic film or TV show might be well done, you're right. It can get repetitive, It's a lazy approach to story telling. The writer's get a blank slate on which to create. Other than a brief explanation of what caused the apocalypse, they no longer have to worry about weaving their story with reality, history, or  current events, people or technology.
    That’s not laziness, it’s a choice. The writer must still perform a quality job weaving his own story together, establishing interesting characters, meaningful obstacles, and rewarding conflict resolution. 

Don’t like the genre? Plenty of other genres to choose from. Just like ice cream preferences. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:

The thing is, you wouldn’t like the Star Trek Universe either. 

Nothing you’ve ever said indicates that you’d be happy with folk being given free stuff so they could ‘pursue their dreams’. 

Tell me, what do you think about everyone being given $1000 a month, no strings attached, to pursue their dreams?

edited May 2021