Apple Watch used to assist in-flight surprise labor & delivery

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
An unexpected birth on a flight across the ocean required doctors and nurses to employ clever uses of on-flight items, including an Apple Watch, to keep the newborn stable.

Image Credit: Hawaii Pacific Health/KHON2
Image Credit: Hawaii Pacific Health/KHON2

Raymond Mounga was born 11 weeks early on a Delta flight from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Honolulu, Hawaii on April 28, to Lavinia Mounga, who didn't even know she was pregnant.

Both the baby and mother were fortunate, as a physician and three neonatal nurses were on board, and they sprung into action to keep the infant stable until the flight touched down in Hawaii.

"I went back there first, and she is holding a baby, underneath the toilet almost." NICU Nurse Lani Bamfield told KHON 2. "And so I'm yelling, 'Mimi! There's a baby, and it's little!'"

Dr. Dale Glenn, a family physician at Straub Medical Center, helped the nurses devise a plan to keep the newborn safe.

"None of the equipment we have was suitable for a premature baby, and this baby was born at 29 weeks instead of the normal 40 weeks, right?" said Dr. Glenn. "So we made baby warmers out of bottles that were microwaved. We used an Apple Watch to measure the heart rate."

Once the plane touched down, Lavinia and her newborn were taken to Kapiolani Medical Center, where the newborn will live until he's ready to go home.

"It's been kind of crazy since that happened," said Mimi Ho, one of the NICU nurses that assisted with the infant on the flight. "And as soon as she started tearing up, we did, and she called us family and the baby's aunties, and it was just really sweet."

The Apple Watch is often credited with saving lives in unusual situations. In February of 2020, it was reported that an Oklahoma middle schooler was alerted that his resting heart rate had reached 190 beats per minute. After seeking medical attention, it was discovered the teen had Supraventricular Tachycardia, which was corrected with an eight-hour surgery.

In January, a cyclist in the U.K. used his Apple Watch to call for help while clinging to a tree after being swept into a river during a flood.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Oh neat! My grandmother went into labor mid-flight. The child was my dad. 
    DAalsethlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’m actually a bit surprised that the AW would register the pulse of a premature infant. That by itself is amazing. 
    Graeme000lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 9
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    cornchip said:
    Oh neat! My grandmother went into labor mid-flight. The child was my dad. 
    Did your dad get free lifetime flight pass?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    I find it amazing she didn't know she was pregnant at 29 weeks. 
    JapheyITGUYINSD
  • Reply 5 of 9
    "There goes my Stand streak." - Watch owner
    Graeme000Japheylollivercyberzombie
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Graeme000Graeme000 Posts: 36member
    I find it really fascinating how effective the heart rate monitor and ECG are on the Apple Watch.  A couple years ago on a flight, we used my Apple Watch to check the weak pulse on a passenger who'd had a stroke. There must be many more interesting stories too like the one in the article based on how common the watches are.
    dewme
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    swat671 said:
    I don’t know the details on this situation, but while rare, it is probably more common than you or I would think.  I’ve read several stories of women who were pregnant and went into labor and didn’t even know they were pregnant.  Usually the women are on the heavy side anyway (in the stories I’ve read) so they don’t necessarily notice the increase.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ugh these titles. What percentage of in-flight births are surprise vs. not surprising. LOL
    beowulfschmidtking editor the grate
  • Reply 9 of 9
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,130member
    chadbag said:
    swat671 said:
    I don’t know the details on this situation, but while rare, it is probably more common than you or I would think.  I’ve read several stories of women who were pregnant and went into labor and didn’t even know they were pregnant.  Usually the women are on the heavy side anyway (in the stories I’ve read) so they don’t necessarily notice the increase.  
    In the 80s, we had a neighbor who claims she didn't know she was pregnant until her labor started at about the 39th week.  She was definitely on the heavy side.