Epic Games argues Apple has app monopoly, should make iOS more like macOS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    genovelle said:
    I have aTrey_Lance said:
    techconc said:
    Guess what. Many many many many users will also not use an alternate App Store or non apple in app payments. I wouldn’t. The cache of trust apple has built with users has real value. 
    I agree with you regarding the payment system.  I'm not interested in using a different payment system.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to a competing App Store.  I wouldn't use it for most things, but Apple has at times over stepped their bounds with regard to pulling apps, etc.   Pulling apps due to security concerns is perfectly fine.  Pulling apps effectively due to political bias is another.  Restricting what type of content these apps can have is also a bit much.  
    Again, EPIC does not have to use the Apple Store. They have their own or they can make their own or just use Google. 

Why does Epic want to use the Apple store? To get access to the billion Apple users, which Apple has spent years and billions of resources building, and Epic wants it for free?
    Epic is acting like communist China and frankly, since they are owned by Tencent China, which is close ties to Chinese communist government, I would not be surprised if this is coming from the top to hit Americas biggest company 
    Well that’s interesting. Maybe they should ban this idea as a threat to national security 
    Hey given Epic is majority owned by Tencent, would you rule out Sweeney is taking orders from Chinese communists? I would not .
  • Reply 41 of 47
    genovelle said:
    I have aTrey_Lance said:
    techconc said:
    Guess what. Many many many many users will also not use an alternate App Store or non apple in app payments. I wouldn’t. The cache of trust apple has built with users has real value. 
    I agree with you regarding the payment system.  I'm not interested in using a different payment system.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to a competing App Store.  I wouldn't use it for most things, but Apple has at times over stepped their bounds with regard to pulling apps, etc.   Pulling apps due to security concerns is perfectly fine.  Pulling apps effectively due to political bias is another.  Restricting what type of content these apps can have is also a bit much.  
    Again, EPIC does not have to use the Apple Store. They have their own or they can make their own or just use Google. 

Why does Epic want to use the Apple store? To get access to the billion Apple users, which Apple has spent years and billions of resources building, and Epic wants it for free?
    Epic is acting like communist China and frankly, since they are owned by Tencent China, which is close ties to Chinese communist government, I would not be surprised if this is coming from the top to hit Americas biggest company 
    Well that’s interesting. Maybe they should ban this idea as a threat to national security 
    Well would you rule it out given Epic is owned by Tencent and Tencent basically take orders from Chinese government?
  • Reply 43 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mcdave said:
    What are the retail margins on petrol/gasoline? More than 30% I’m thinking.

The macOS app distribution model is the past, the iOS one is the future.
    Actually it depends on where you are in the distribution chain and if the retail location provide other services. However, most gas stations are only making a few penny per gallon. If they have lots of gas in the tanks when prices are going up they may make a dime or two, but this also works in the opposite direction when prices are dropping and the station could be loosing money. This is why most places you get gas today are mini stores and car washes and such that is where the real profits are made. Car wash only cost the operator a few dollars per car to wash and they charge $10 to $20, and if the car wash is automatic requires no people to operate this is gold mine.

The distributors and pipeline operators of gas make most of the profits on gas, and do not forget your government who taxes gas, almost half of what you pay at the pump goes to various levels of the government.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 44 of 47
    mcdave said:
    What are the retail margins on petrol/gasoline? More than 30% I’m thinking.

The macOS app distribution model is the past, the iOS one is the future.
    The Gasoline Analogy is purely idiotic by Epic, which car companies sell gasoline too? The proper analogy is a merchant wants shelf space at Costco, they need to pay what Costco wants because the merchant wants access to Costco members , same here, Epic wants access to Apple Users and ecosystem .

this is so stupid to be even having a law suit 

The analogy is a good one, people fail to understand most analogies because they take it too literially and do not see the broader picture. I would agree the lawyer could have done a better job showing the analogies that most consumers understand.

The analogy is what if Ford made money off everything you did in your car, the gas you put in, the air freasher you hang on the rear view mirror or the music you happen to be listening to in the car. This is the point the lawyer was making, Ford would get a cut on everything you did with your car. At one time Ford did, they even had gas stations and Ford wanted to own motels and parks where you drove your car too.

In your analogy, Costco does gets to decide who's product they are going to sell, product manufacturer do not get to decide if they want shelf space in Costco it is not up to them and it is not like as long as you do x you get y shelf space. Plus Costco is does not make a product that only requires you then buy things that work on that product at Costco. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 45 of 47
    ‪If I was Apple, I would not mind spending a few billion to make an example out of greedy Epic @EpicGames .I would just ask Epic in court:”So you want to use our brand & services for essentially free? Do you think we are in communist China?Since Epic is owned by Tencent of China.”‬
    The Chinese government has no stake in this. This is just conspiracy theory. Correlation is not causation. If anything the current AppStore model gives the Chinese government more leverage since they can demand Apple block apps.

How do you know the Chinese government has no stake in this. Just because you do not know all the information does not automatically make is conspiracy. 

Most Chinese companies have some level of government offical involved in the business. This is well known in the business world. This is why any non-Chinese company who wishes to operate in China has to be in a Joint Ventura relationship with a Chinese own business where the Chinese owned business has to have 51% in the JV. No where in the World does any other country required companies to be in JV with in its countries boarders where a local country company has to be involved. Imagine in the US if Lenovo wants to sell product in the US, the US made Lenovo enter into an agreement with a US company where the US company had primary ownership and then Lenovo had to transfer all its IP and manufacturing Tech to the US company to make and sell the product. This is exactly what is going on in China.

The business world is far more complicated than most people realize especially when it comes to China and all their rules about operating within and outside their boarders.

For all you or I know this could be proxy war China is waging on Apple since Apple is the only company which requires their store to get apps on the phone. Google screwed up made android open which allows China to have their own app stores to put apps on phones made in China. China also walks a fine line with Apple since Apple's business employees millions of people in China, Apple and its partners in China employ more people than any other non-Chinese company.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 46 of 47
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    While iOS 14.5 is now restricting ads from third party, it seems Apple doesn't mind auto enabling you their own tracking for advertising algorithms without approval. iOS 14.5 is just a way to increase ads revenue and restrict others. Using app analytics  seems easy for Apple to know exactly what products they should "innovate'' with. Just my thought. on this...
    WRONG - iOS 14.5 does not restrict ANY adds from anyone.  The new feature is called App Tracking Transparency (ATT).  It gives the user control over apps & websites being able to track them, or not.  That's it.  End of story.  No restriction of ads from anyone.

Game over.  Please play again (or don't, please!)
  • Reply 47 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    genovelle said:
    I have aTrey_Lance said:
    techconc said:

Hey given Epic is majority owned by Tencent, would you rule out Sweeney is taking orders from Chinese communists? I would not .
    genovelle said:
    I have aTrey_Lance said:
    techconc said:

Well would you rule it out given Epic is owned by Tencent and Tencent basically take orders from Chinese government?
    Say it with us: 40% is not a majority.
    muthuk_vanalingam