Tile CEO 'welcomes' AirTag competition from Apple's 'runaway monopoly train'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Skeptical said:
    I have to agree a bit here with the Tile dude. After a few updates, my Tile were useless for the most part. And so I switched to the AirTags. Not impressed at all. I can hold the AirTag next to the phone and it tells me the signal is weak. WTF Apple. Anyway, maybe I’m holding it wrong. Tile has nothing to worry about if this is the best that Apple cans do. Queue the fanboy flamers…
    Eleven posts and troll lingo send off. Who do you think you’re fooling?
    pulseimagesbasjhjroundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Trey_LanceTrey_Lance Posts: 98member
    These whiny companies are too much honestly. Apple has opened up “Find My Network” to them didn’t they?
    DnykjpRfC6fnBspulseimageswilliamlondonigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Trey_LanceTrey_Lance Posts: 98member
    Skeptical said:
    I have to agree a bit here with the Tile dude. After a few updates, my Tile were useless for the most part. And so I switched to the AirTags. Not impressed at all. I can hold the AirTag next to the phone and it tells me the signal is weak. WTF Apple. Anyway, maybe I’m holding it wrong. Tile has nothing to worry about if this is the best that Apple cans do. Queue the fanboy flamers…
    Air Tags works great. Your problems are you need to replace your brain with a M1 chip
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Skeptical said:
    CJ is that you?  CJ Prober I mean this is the best you can do?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    New trolls on arrival it appears, ffs. Go fuck off!

First post, a negative one, did I take a wrong turn and end up back at MacRumors?
    So it would seem. Already seen the haters in MacRumors about the replaceable battery and how some company pulled AirTags off the shelf in Australia I believe because: omg think of the children and how they will all die swallowing replaceable batteries. If Apple doesn’t offer replacement batteries in their AirPods they are out to destroy mother earth and no other earbud maker does, at least not samsung bose and jabra and those companies you never hear accusations on how they are destroying the planet. 
    Then Apple comes out with replaceable batteries in their AirTags and here is all of the drama about how Apple is killing children. OMG think of the children. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    New trolls on arrival it appears, ffs. Go fuck off!

First post, a negative one, did I take a wrong turn and end up back at MacRumors?
    So it would seem. Already seen the haters in MacRumors about the replaceable battery and how some company pulled AirTags off the shelf in Australia I believe because: omg think of the children and how they will all die swallowing replaceable batteries. If Apple doesn’t offer replacement batteries in their AirPods they are out to destroy mother earth and no other earbud maker does, at least not samsung bose and jabra and those companies you never hear accusations on how they are destroying the planet. 
    Then Apple comes out with replaceable batteries in their AirTags and here is all of the drama about how Apple is killing children. OMG think of the children. 
    A retailer is doing their due diligence before selling a product. That is not a reason to slight a retailer.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    WTHWTH Posts: 26member
    The CEO should stop whining and get to work on Tile's next big product:  an anti-theft tracker that uses the Find My network.  Apple has deliberately designed the AirTag to prevent it from being used for that purpose.  Tile could own the anti-theft tracker market if they'd roll up their sleeves and stop complaining to the press.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    philliprphillipr Posts: 1member
    I've been a tile user for years.  At no time have I ever believed that tile functionality was broken in any way. I've also been waiting for airtags since the rumors of their existence began.  From what I've seen so far, I'm happier with tile for now.  I'd love to see tile adopt the "find my" interface vs their own.  It would be nice if Apple allowed them to give their user the choice vs one or the other though I can see why this would add android-like complexity (easily managed by some, not by others).
    I'd prefer the privacy of airtags and would love the directionality of UWB but with current form factor and volume limitations airtags aren't for me.  Now, will tile adopt privacy and UWB before apple adopts competitive form factor and volume? 
    The competition continues.  As does the whining... should we tie apple's hands so they aren't allowed to complete fairly?  It's hard to complete fairly against any entity with the resources apple has.  Tough game for tough & innovative competitors.
    12Strangerswilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 42
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    Quite a few posters mentioning the length of time Tile has been around. Back to 2013 for one. That's 8 years of what amounts to a single, dominant player in the "find my crap for me" industry. So now that there's another player in the game, it's a monopoly? Because it might do the same thing better, you've suddenly been pushed out of the market?

That's not how capitalism works. If, what it perceived to be, a better product comes along, you don't remain staid and hope your product continues to sell without innovating. And just because Apple sells two products that work together isn't monopolistic. It's called vertical integration. If Apple were to buy Tile, which is horizontal integration, and hold a dominant share in and of themselves, that would be a monopoly.

Just like the doctrine of joint and several liability, go after the deepest pockets even if there's no evidence to the contrary.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    ejr1959ejr1959 Posts: 7member
    I always found Tile to be an inferior product, right from the outset. I bought it and used it because it appeared to be the only choice out in the retail world. So if AirTags do even 90% of what they are meant to do then I am sold. Goodbye Tile - not nice to have known you. 
    williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    jcs2305 said:
    Skeptical said:

I have seen and read multiple reviews of Airtags and have not seen the issue you mention? Is it impossible to think that maybe your Airtag isn't working correctly and may need to be swapped out for another unit? I mean shit happens even with Apple products.. no? Your "maybe I am holding it wrong" comment makes me think either you're trolling or you are commenting with an ax to grind for whatever reason?

If it were me and a product didn't work I would either run to the Apple store to swap it out, or send it back for a replacement..period. Not coming on Appleinsider to make a blanket condemnation of a product because one unit isn't behaving correctly.
    Swing and a miss. I placed my AirTag directly next to the my iPhone 12 Pro Max and I still get a weak signal reply. I tried with two other AirTag devices and got the same, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t a defect in either AirTag. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 42
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    lkrupp said:
    Skeptical said:
    So you assume your experience is universal?
    Did I say my experience is universal? I was speaking about my experience. Pay attention and don’t obfuscate. 
    williamlondonBeats
  • Reply 33 of 42
    earthkidearthkid Posts: 33member
    it's not like apple the only company that came out with airtag, but why when it's come to suing someone, apple is the only one that get sue or attack by another company.  I don't get it, why people like to pick on apple?
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Tile should focus their efforts on making a better product.

The CEO's statements could be taken with more weight if their product wasn't close to garbage (and literal garbage for their devices which don't feature a removable battery). The AirTag is unquestionably a superior design; If a competitor can enter the market with a superior Gen 1 product, then "competition" isn't the problem, the problem is sitting on one's hands for 8 years.

Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    "Basically [now] the main points of differentiation of AirTags vis a vis Tile, are [unique] to platform capabilities that we don't have access to," he said. "Seamless activation [is an example], and another is Ultra Wideband."

Prober says that Tile has been pressing to get developer access to Apple's U1 Ultra Wideband processor, "and have been denied."

"Apple does not need to take advantage of its monopoly position, the App Store and the iPhone, [or] enable advantages that only they can partake in," continued Prober. "They can make those [platform] advantages available to all companies so we can compete on a level playing field."
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/04/07/apple-announces-find-my-network-for-third-party-accessories
    ...Apple says it will be launching what it calls a draft specification for chipset manufacturers. Due out "later this spring," the specification will allow third-party firms to utilize the more precise location technology, Ultra-Wideband technology in U1-equipped Apple devices.”
    That was a very interesting point you made there. I look forward to the announcement, and I notice that none of the Apple haters on this forum have responded to your point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The entitlement of these crappy companies. “Apple needs to offer their X technology”, “Apple needs to let us control X invention”.

Skeptical said:

I bet you agree with Sweeney Turdd too. What does “you’re holding it wrong” have to do with anything except as a troll attack?

What next?
    ”Greedy Apple”?
    ”Apple hires slaves”?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    sbdude said:
    If Apple were to buy Tile, which is horizontal integration, and hold a dominant share in and of themselves, that would be a monopoly."

No, a monopoly is more than a dominant share.  Every company legitimately strives to be the dominant player in their industry.   A monopoly market structure is characterized by a single seller, selling a unique product in the market. In a monopoly market, the seller faces no competition, and is the sole seller with no close substitute. For example, Spotify is by far the dominant music streaming service in the world, but they are not a monopoly. If Apple bought Tile there would still be other trackers for sale.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    These whiny companies are too much honestly. Apple has opened up “Find My Network” to them didn’t they?
    In fact Apple is such a "runaway monopoly" that they made it possible for anyone to build and sell a  tracker and use the massive Find My network (that Apple built).  On what world is that a monopoly, I wonder...not on Earth.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 42
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Skeptical said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Skeptical said:

I have seen and read multiple reviews of Airtags and have not seen the issue you mention? Is it impossible to think that maybe your Airtag isn't working correctly and may need to be swapped out for another unit? I mean shit happens even with Apple products.. no? Your "maybe I am holding it wrong" comment makes me think either you're trolling or you are commenting with an ax to grind for whatever reason?

If it were me and a product didn't work I would either run to the Apple store to swap it out, or send it back for a replacement..period. Not coming on Appleinsider to make a blanket condemnation of a product because one unit isn't behaving correctly.
    Swing and a miss. I placed my AirTag directly next to the my iPhone 12 Pro Max and I still get a weak signal reply. I tried with two other AirTag devices and got the same, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t a defect in either AirTag. 
    Did yo try placing the AirTag realistically?  

A lot of radio protocols do not work well, right on top of each other.  900MHz & 2.4GHz RC transmitters & receivers will not work if they are next to each other - they need at least a couple of feet apart.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    "Basically [now] the main points of differentiation of AirTags vis a vis Tile, are [unique] to platform capabilities that we don't have access to," he said. "Seamless activation [is an example], and another is Ultra Wideband."

Prober says that Tile has been pressing to get developer access to Apple's U1 Ultra Wideband processor, "and have been denied."

"Apple does not need to take advantage of its monopoly position, the App Store and the iPhone, [or] enable advantages that only they can partake in," continued Prober. "They can make those [platform] advantages available to all companies so we can compete on a level playing field."
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/04/07/apple-announces-find-my-network-for-third-party-accessories
    ...Apple says it will be launching what it calls a draft specification for chipset manufacturers. Due out "later this spring," the specification will allow third-party firms to utilize the more precise location technology, Ultra-Wideband technology in U1-equipped Apple devices.”
    That was a very interesting point you made there. I look forward to the announcement, and I notice that none of the Apple haters on this forum have responded to your point.
    You look forward to what announcement?  it was made a month ago, and four or five 3rd party manufacturers already announced "Find my..." compatible products.
    watto_cobra