Apple App Store search tab now has a dedicated ad slot

Posted:
in iOS
Apple is inviting developers to "reach customers before they search" using new advertising slots on the App Store.

App Store Suggested apps will now have in-line ads
App Store Suggested apps will now have in-line ads

Developers have been able to advertise via the App Store search results since 2016, but users had to initiate a search to see an ad. Now, customers will see a new section in the App Store search tab before a query has been made.

When a customer clicks on the search tab in the App Store app, they see a list of apps under "Discover" and "Suggested." Apple has been testing a new advertising slot under the Suggested list, which is now available for developers to target with their ad campaigns.

Rather than target a keyword, the ad shows up based on Apple Advertising metrics collected by the company. Users can turn off App Store targeted ads in the Settings app by selecting "Privacy," then scrolling to the bottom and selecting "Apple Advertising."

Turning off personal ads does not remove ads from the App Store, nor does it reduce the number of ads seen.

Apple has made some major changes in the advertising space recently. iOS 14.5 and macOS 11.3 contains App Tracking Transparency which asks users for permission before enabling cross-app tracking. Apple's in-house advertising doesn't rely upon the same system, nor does it track users outside of the App Store.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    Ads suck, stop!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The more Apple pushes pay for placement, the farther it gets from a true meritocracy where the best rises to the top. I am so sick of searching for an app by name and having it the fifth or tenth, or lower hit. 
    Dogpersonralphiemuthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yes, ads SUCK! Ads are effectively an epidemic of corporate greed and sociopathy. Especially in this context! I’ve already paid for this product, but hey, now you can try to use me to squeeze more money out of my usage of your product? PISS OFF!!!!