Apple's iMac predicted to overtake HP and lead the All-in-One market

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Industry sources are predicting that Apple's new iMac will overcome HP to lead the market in its field, but that's based partly on demand -- and partly on the effects of the chip shortage.

Apple's new M1 iMac
Apple's new M1 iMac

Apple's new iMac may get the most attention, but it's not the only all-in-one computer available -- and it's also not been the biggest seller. That title has previously gone to HP, which according to Digitimes, sold around 8% more all-in-ones than Apple in the fourth quarter of 2020.

That reportedly equates to HP selling around 925,000 computers in the quarter, as compared to Apple's 860,000. Apple has subsequently launched a new iMac with a significant redesign, so it could be expected that it will do better.

Digitimes sources do predict that Apple will overtake HP, at least for the next quarter. However, the global chip shortage is playing a part in that.

"With chip and component suppliers prioritizing their shipments supporting high-end products, such as the iMac, Apple is likely to overtake HP as the top all-in-one (AIO) PC brand vendor, according to industry sources," says Digitimes.

So HP, for instance, sells tower PCs, high performance ones, and gaming computers, as well as its iMac-like All-in-One range. Consequently if the company directs its limited supply of processors to those other models, it will be able to make fewer All-in-Ones.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Eric_in_CTEric_in_CT Posts: 105member
    I've posted over the years about our 2009 27" iMac with 2TB of 7200rpm storage for $2600.

I've watched through the Fusion-drive years, waiting for 2TB of SSD in the 27" for $2600.  It happened a year or so ago.

This article reminds me it's past 4/30/21, and full pricing is up.

The mid-level 24" iMac with 16GB and 2TB SSD is $2500.  
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/blue-24-inch-apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-256gb#

I know the 27"+ will be more $, but this is a fair reference-comparison.

Given 10 years of Inflation and loads of 2009-impossible technology, doesn't that make this new iMac a.....Technology-Miracle?
    edited May 2021 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    I’m guessing most of those HP AIOs are sold to businesses, offices, etc.… I don’t know a single person who owns one of those.
    jeffharriswilliamlondonBeatswelshdogjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    mainyehc said:
    I’m guessing most of those HP AIOs are sold to businesses, offices, etc.… I don’t know a single person who owns one of those.
    You might check out consumer stores like BestBuy.  Just because you don't know anyone with an HP AIO is not a barometer of HP's target market.

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonOctoMonkey
  • Reply 4 of 25
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    The new design is so sexy. 
    Apple will sell lots of them. IMHO.
    jeffharrisdewmeBeatswelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 777member
    I’m looking for an excuse to buy one.
    They’re just so amazing looking.

It would be nice if there were a VESA mount option.
    edited May 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    I’m looking for an excuse to buy one.
    They’re just so amazing looking.

It would be nice if there were a VESA mount option.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-vesa

PITA to find that. It's a tiny bit of text halfway down the iMac Buy page.
    williamlondonBeatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    I've posted over the years about our 2009 27" iMac with 2TB of 7200rpm storage for $2600.

I've watched through the Fusion-drive years, waiting for 2TB of SSD in the 27" for $2600.  It happened a year or so ago.

This article reminds me it's past 4/30/21, and full pricing is up.

The mid-level 24" iMac with 16GB and 2TB SSD is $2500.  
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/blue-24-inch-apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-256gb#

I know the 27"+ will be more $, but this is a fair reference-comparison.

Given 10 years of Inflation and loads of 2009-impossible technology, doesn't that make this new iMac a.....Technology-Miracle?
    And the 2TB SSD today just smokes any Fusion drive or older SSDs in iMacs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I had one sitting in the checkout for my wife but Apple doesn’t allow shipping to an Apple Store like they used to. Apple also doesn’t have a secure delivery service like Amazon Key. So I’ll wait until they show up in the stores to pick one up. 
    Beats
  • Reply 9 of 25
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    For comparison HP All-in-one computers start at $600, the cheapest iMac is $1300.
    Of the 9 All-in-one computers from HP, more than half are under the $1,300 price point.

I dare say the revenue in this category is vastly different between the two companies.
    elijahgpscooter63patchythepiratejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    People buy HP because they’re cheaper not because they’re better. We have one at work and it’s the biggest piece of dung. It has a bezel within a bezel(no, REALLY) and I didn’t know it was a touch screen until it started glitching when a piece of paper leaned against it. Now when bugs land on it at night, the screen will twitch or it will pause videos.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    Beats said:
    People buy HP because they’re cheaper not because they’re better. We have one at work and it’s the biggest piece of dung. It has a bezel within a bezel(no, REALLY) and I didn’t know it was a touch screen until it started glitching when a piece of paper leaned against it. Now when bugs land on it at night, the screen will twitch or it will pause videos.
    Does HP's support suggest putting screens on the windows and air curtains at the doorways?  ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I’m both nervous and excited for Apple’s future. I like that Apple is seemingly taking the more vertically integrated approach by way of M1 Apple silicon. I’m worried, Apple may also possibly use this to fully control the user experience, to the point of detriment of its user base. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    DOJ and the EU to investigate. 

patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    This is entirely price based. Those HP AIOs are just horrible. Their only case for redemption being they are not as bad as the Dell AIOs.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    entropys said:
    This is entirely price based. Those HP AIOs are just horrible. Their only case for redemption being they are not as bad as the Dell AIOs.
    I’ve had a different experience with the Dell AIO. I’ve now purchased a total of 10 of the ones at Costco for various business clients. At $850 each Apple simply can’t compete price wise. Admittedly there’s a couple hours of prep work to have all the bloat ware removed, but that’s how/why I get paid ;-)

And yes, I’ve tried desperately to get the clients to move to macOS. Some are blocked by Windows only medical software and others by cost.
    edited May 2021 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    dewme said:
    I had one sitting in the checkout for my wife but Apple doesn’t allow shipping to an Apple Store like they used to. Apple also doesn’t have a secure delivery service like Amazon Key. So I’ll wait until they show up in the stores to pick one up. 
    Are you afraid of UPS?  How about shipping it to an address where you will be located at, or directing the delivery to a UPS store for pickup?  You do have delivery options with UPS, or you could have it delivered to your work address.  How is Amazon Key secure?  I would never trust an Amazon driver to have access to my home or garage.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    The 24" iMac won't be a big seller.  Limited ports, limited storage, limited RAM, and not exactly attractive colors...and that white bezel.  Ugh.  It is a stop-gap machine.  The chip shortage has had a huge impact so Apple decided to use an M1 in an iMac to satisfy people.  The 21.5" with upgraded graphics is faster than the M1s integrated graphics.  And the 27" iMac smokes the M1 with the 10-core i9 and upgraded graphics.  People have been waiting for the 'second generation' Apple Silicon to fill in the gaps missing in the M1, but nothing in sight for the replacement 16" MacBook Pro or 27" iMac.  It is odd that not long ago, people were complaining that Apple was still shipping Macs with 8 and 16GB RAM, and now suddenly they all claim 8 and 16GB is the best thing ever.  Look how fast M1 MacBooks appeared in the refurb store because they were customer returns.

People will skip this first generation iMac and wait for something better, that is not so limited in features.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 25
    entropys said:
    I’ve had a different experience with the Dell AIO. I’ve now purchased a total of 10 of the ones at Costco for various business clients. At $850 each Apple simply can’t compete price wise. Admittedly there’s a couple hours of prep work to have all the bloat ware removed, but that’s how/why I get paid ;-)

And yes, I’ve tried desperately to get the clients to move to macOS. Some are blocked by Windows only medical software and others by cost.
    So they are not only $850 - if you're any good, you should be charging $100+ per hour.  Couple of hours, and now you're over $1050.  And then the repeat calls to you for support (because it's Windows) and now the cost is at the 24" iMac, and the quality will never be there.  

You have to consider the total cost of ownership.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    The 24" iMac won't be a big seller.  Limited ports, limited storage, limited RAM, and not exactly attractive colors...and that white bezel.  Ugh.  It is a stop-gap machine.  The chip shortage has had a huge impact so Apple decided to use an M1 in an iMac to satisfy people.  The 21.5" with upgraded graphics is faster than the M1s integrated graphics.  And the 27" iMac smokes the M1 with the 10-core i9 and upgraded graphics.  People have been waiting for the 'second generation' Apple Silicon to fill in the gaps missing in the M1, but nothing in sight for the replacement 16" MacBook Pro or 27" iMac.  It is odd that not long ago, people were complaining that Apple was still shipping Macs with 8 and 16GB RAM, and now suddenly they all claim 8 and 16GB is the best thing ever.  Look how fast M1 MacBooks appeared in the refurb store because they were customer returns.

People will skip this first generation iMac and wait for something better, that is not so limited in features.
    I think you'll be surprised at how well they sell.  They are attractive hardware.  Ports won't matter to most of the market it is aimed at - it comes with a BT keyboard & mouse/trackpad & there are 4 x ports.  What do you think the "typical" person it is designed for, will be connecting that they need 4+ ports for?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    dewme said:
    Are you afraid of UPS?  How about shipping it to an address where you will be located at, or directing the delivery to a UPS store for pickup?  You do have delivery options with UPS, or you could have it delivered to your work address.  How is Amazon Key secure?  I would never trust an Amazon driver to have access to my home or garage.
    It’s more a matter of not knowing this far in advance where I’ll be. I’ve done custom BTOs with Apple in the past in similar situations and they always held my order at the Apple Store. According to the Apple rep I spoke with it’s a new Apple policy to only do direct delivery if what you want is not in store inventory. 

Amazon Key into my garage is secure enough for me. They use a one time pass code for the delivery and everything is captured on my in-garage camera. It’s an awesome service. I’m hoping Apple does something with HomeKit for a similar secure delivery service.