MacBook Air redesign will include iMac-like color options, leaker claims

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The redesigned MacBook Air will have multiple color choices like the 24-inch iMac does, says Jon Prosser.

The MacBook Air will have similar color options to the new iMac
The MacBook Air will have similar color options to the new iMac

Apple released the iMac with an all-new design and bright colors in April. This design philosophy is expected to continue down the Mac product line, and a prolific leaker has confirmed it.

Jon Prosser has been fairly accurate on product details such as color and design specifics, so his latest details about the next MacBook Air shouldn't be overlooked. In his latest Front Page Tech video, Prosser says he got a tip from his source about a blue MacBook Prototype.

Prosser's conversation with his source
Prosser's conversation with his source

The source stated "colors for average consumers" alongside an old image from an Apple event. This suggests that color options would be made available for consumer devices, where "pro" Macs will have more subdued shades of gray and silver.

Prosser assumes this means the MacBook Air will receive color options similar to those found on the 24-inch iMac. The iMac has a saturated back panel with muted colors on the face plate. Concept images shared by Prosser show a MacBook Air with a more pastel color design.

A blue MacBook Air concept Image Source: Renders by Ian
A blue MacBook Air concept Image Source: Renders by Ian

Apple announced the transition to Apple Silicon would take two years during its 2020 WWDC. The products released so far have been aimed at consumers, so Apple is likely to focus on pro Macs for its next releases. Expect a refreshed design and a new M-series processor in the next MacBook Air once Apple's pro Macs have been released.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I was disappointed when I didn’t see a redesign debut for M1 MacBooks.

I’d like to also see cellular but I take it that won’t be ready until Apple finishes developing their own from the Intel acquisition.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Would it be an MBA or the now defunct MacBook? Seems weird to come out with an M1 MBA, then a few months later redesign it completely with colours (and new processor?). Wouldn't it be one of the products they haven't yet touched? Or will this be a higher end MBA, perhaps MBA Pro? Or a simple extension of the colours into the existing design? Just wondering.

Either way, would love to see the new colours make their way into one (or all) of their laptop lines.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    After Space Gray, everything else is just hey...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Since the new iMac no longer has the Apple Logo on it, will the new MacBooks no longer have them?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Since the new iMac no longer has the Apple Logo on it, will the new MacBooks no longer have them?
    The iMac still has the Apple logo on it. It's on the back just like MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 34

Would it be an MBA or the now defunct MacBook? Seems weird to come out with an M1 MBA, then a few months later redesign it completely with colours (and new processor?). Wouldn't it be one of the products they haven't yet touched? Or will this be a higher end MBA, perhaps MBA Pro? Or a simple extension of the colours into the existing design? Just wondering.

Either way, would love to see the new colours make their way into one (or all) of their laptop lines.
    I missed where it said these would come out soon, my reading was just that the next gen of MBA would have colors. I'd assume next year. 
  • Reply 7 of 34

Beats said:

I’d like to also see cellular but I take it that won’t be ready until Apple finishes developing their own from the Intel acquisition.
    Due to how Qualcomm license their cellular I.P. I doubt we will have see MacBooks with cellular built in. If Apple was resistant to paying 5% of the price an iPhone to Qualcomm I doubt they would want to pay 5% of a product that has a higher ASP especially when the feature is in no way critical to the device itself. 
  • Reply 8 of 34
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member

Beats said:

Due to how Qualcomm license their cellular I.P. I doubt we will have see MacBooks with cellular built in. If Apple was resistant to paying 5% of the price an iPhone to Qualcomm I doubt they would want to pay 5% of a product that has a higher ASP especially when the feature is in no way critical to the device itself. 
    This is precisely why you don't have cellular in everything. It's not a technical issue, the cellular iPad and Watch are nearly identical to their non-cellular versions. The cost difference is licensing.

Also about this rumour, regardless of the source. If Apple just went and developed a range of colour ways for their consumer desktop, it's a bit obvious that they may just be planning to introduce this to a line of computers which are already available in 3 finishes.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    In order to get the first gen of M1’s out the door ASAP they kept the existing enclosures so the engineers could design to known specs and thermals. Now with the benefit of time they are able to put out new form factors. 

I also believe this redesign will be for the next generation, not a mid-cycle refresh. 

I think the  thin-ness of the render means the MBA will be stuck with a 720p camera. That’s too bad in this age of Zoom. 
    fastasleepmike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    The iMac still has the Apple logo on it. It's on the back just like MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

Apple sure seems to get a lot of free (I assume) product placement from the backside Apple logos. It's unusual to see anyone on television using anything other than a Mac computer. Some folks try to hide the Apple logo with stickers or duct tape, but Apple fans can see through that ruse pretty easily.

I do miss the glowing Apple logo and hope that Apple can find a way to bring it back, even if it's just bling. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Whatever, Prosser. I read this same “leak” 3 days ago from somebody else. Besides, suggestions and  assumptions are not the same as confirmation. It’s just speculative common sense. 
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Oh I know it’s still on the back but will it be removed from the back since they’ve taken it off the front of the new iMac and gone all Pastel colors? Which by the way is heinous!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Oh I know it’s still on the back but will it be removed from the back since they’ve taken it off the front of the new iMac and gone all Pastel colors? Which by the way is heinous!
    Huh? Will they remove the logo from the back because the removed it from the front? No. How do I know that? Because they removed the logo from the front and don’t remove from the  back. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Huh? Will they remove the logo from the back because the removed it from the front? No. How do I know that? Because they removed the logo from the front and don’t remove from the  back. 
    Well, you never know. It could happen. They’ve already gone with hideous colors for the iMacs and took the Apple logo off the front. Why not do the same on the new MacBooks? Why not remove all Apple logos from all products and go heinous pastels for the colors? 

Pastel colored AirPods, Pastel colored Apple Watches etc….
    williamlondonmike54
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Well, you never know. It could happen. They’ve already gone with hideous colors for the iMacs and took the Apple logo off the front. Why not do the same on the new MacBooks? Why not remove all Apple logos from all products and go heinous pastels for the colors? 

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that is some lazyass trolling. Why take the time to create an account if you aren't going to put in the effort? Trolling aint easy and we have had some really good ones come through. We have high expectations when it comes to the quality of trolling here in the AI comments section. At this point you are embarrassing yourself to the extent that we all feel uncomfortable on your behalf. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 16 of 34
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member

Beats said:

Quite honestly someone will have to explain to me the logic in charging a percentage of the whole device for a piece of equipment. 
    Thought experiment:
    iPhone SE: $500 price tag therefore Qualcomm charges $25 for the modem.
    iPhone 12 Pro: $1000 price tag, therefore Qualcomm charges $50 for same modem?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Apple faces an interesting and increasingly difficult challenge in convincing people to continue buying new desktops, laptops and tablets when the Apple products that the vast majority of people already own are WAY more than capable of handling their computing needs for many years to come. What's the point of 3X faster when you're already not waiting on your computer for anything? So I expect to see new form factors and colors of existing products being used increasingly to drive upgrade cycles in advance of actually "needing" to upgrade. While Apple has always existed at the crossroads of technology and fashion, I expect "fashion" to become a more important driver of sales than ever before.
    edited May 2021 Japheymike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that is some lazyass trolling. Why take the time to create an account if you aren't going to put in the effort? Trolling aint easy and we have had some really good ones come through. We have high expectations when it comes to the quality of trolling here in the AI comments section. At this point you are embarrassing yourself to the extent that we all feel uncomfortable on your behalf. 
    I don't care what some "trolls" may say about colours but they completely missed the classic silver iMac. If they don't like those other colours then there's always the classic silver. But like you implied, ranting is easier than thinking. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm waiting for the upcoming 16" MacBook Pros. I do have the feeling however that our only options would be silver or space grey. Hope I'm wrong. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member
    In order to get the first gen of M1’s out the door ASAP they kept the existing enclosures so the engineers could design to known specs and thermals. Now with the benefit of time they are able to put out new form factors. 

I also believe this redesign will be for the next generation, not a mid-cycle refresh. 

I think the  thin-ness of the render means the MBA will be stuck with a 720p camera. That’s too bad in this age of Zoom. 
     I also believe this redesign will be for the next generation, not a mid-cycle refresh.”

Exactly. It’s rumored for Spring 2022
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    charlesn said:
    Apple faces an interesting and increasingly difficult challenge in convincing people to continue buying new desktops, laptops and tablets when the Apple products that the vast majority of people already own are WAY more than capable of handling their computing needs for many years to come. What's the point of 3X faster when you're already not waiting on your computer for anything? So I expect to see new form factors and colors of existing products being used increasingly to drive upgrade cycles in advance of actually "needing" to upgrade. While Apple has always existed at the crossroads of technology and fashion, I expect "fashion" to become a more important driver of sales than ever before.
    Unadulterated bullshit. Apparently you missed last quarter's earnings report in which Mac sales were up 70.1% and iPad was up 78.7%. There is no "increasingly difficult challenge" as you describe.

"What's the point of 3X faster" is laughable when even the very first reports of M1 Macs focused on how quick everything was, even for menial everyday tasks. Even more laughable when you consider a not insignificant chunk of the market actually is waiting on their computer to do things. Maybe you don't, but I sure as hell do working in video, animation, batch image processing, 3D, etc. 
    watto_cobra