Amazon partners with Tile to compete with Apple AirTag

Posted:
in General Discussion
Tile will tap directly into Amazon's "Sidewalk" network of Echo products to better compete with Apple's Find My network and AirTag.

Tile will use Sidewalk to strengthen its tracking network
Tile will use Sidewalk to strengthen its tracking network

Tile has made tiny tracking devices that users can place in wallets and bags for years. After rumors of an Apple-made tracking device began, Tile became vocal against Apple's efforts.

Now, Tile has partnered with Amazon to strengthen its network using Sidewalk. Instead of tapping into Apple's Find My network of over a billion devices, Tile will resort to using the Bluetooth signal of millions of Amazon Echo devices.

Amazon Sidewalk is a new network bridge protocol that will extend the range of smart home gadgets using existing Amazon devices like Echos. The Amazon Echos act as a bridge to the network and enable devices to communicate from much further away than standard Wi-Fi allows.

Amazon made the partnership known via an announcement shared with CNBC on Friday. Amazon claims that Sidewalk is safe and secure, with data shared across the network protected by three layers of encryption.

Owners of multiple Echo devices will be able to locate Tile trackers lost in the home even faster. Alexa will tell users which Echo device is closest to the lost Tile.

"Sidewalk is all about the next billion things that are going to get on the network," Amazon's product boss Dave Limp told CNBC on Friday. "Wi-Fi is constrained, mostly to your home, it just doesn't have the range to go into your backyard into the neighborhood. Cellular may be the future, but it's very expensive today. So Sidewalk kind of splits the difference between those two and allows us to put millions and billions of things on the edge of the network but do it in a secure way."

Amazon's partnership with Tile enables an ecosystem of network-connected devices to act as a bridge for the tiny Bluetooth trackers. This method of tracking is very similar to Apple's Find My network which uses every active iPhone, iPad, or Mac to ping the network if it sees a lost AirTag.

Apple has taken multiple precautions to prevent tracking unknowing people with AirTag. The AirTag will play a sound if it hasn't been near its owner's iPhone in three days. Anyone with an iPhone will be alerted to an AirTag that doesn't belong to them after a period of time as well.

Critics state that these preventative measures aren't enough, and AirTag creates a cheap tracking solution for stalkers. Notably, Tile doesn't offer anti-stalking capabilities in its feature set.

Tile trackers will be integrated into the Sidewalk network starting on June 14.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Shorter Tile; "We don't need no stinking UWB!"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So here’s a great moment to start asking Tile & Amazon why they don’t include any anti-stalking/abuse functionality.

i find it interesting that the Tile product comes with its own keychain loop built in, while Apple’s product requires accessories for that. Is the loop on the Tile product just plastic? Is it easily breakable?

Is the physical design of Apple’s tabs a holdover from minimalist Jony Ive, or is this just overall Apple culture? I suppose the day Apple releases a phone that feels comfortable and secure in my hand without needing a silicone case on it to make it thicker & less slick would answer that for me...
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "Tile doesn't offer anti-stalking capabilities in its feature set.”

That’s because Tile doesn’t have to. They are not under the same scrutiny as Apple. 
    seanboy81williamlondonFileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    lkrupp said:

That’s because Tile doesn’t have to. They are not under the same scrutiny as Apple. 
    Nobody will sue Tile but they will probably do to Amazon for facilitating stalkers 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 601member
    dysamoria said:
    So here’s a great moment to start asking Tile & Amazon why they don’t include any anti-stalking/abuse functionality.

i find it interesting that the Tile product comes with its own keychain loop built in, while Apple’s product requires accessories for that. Is the loop on the Tile product just plastic? Is it easily breakable?

Is the physical design of Apple’s tabs a holdover from minimalist Jony Ive, or is this just overall Apple culture? I suppose the day Apple releases a phone that feels comfortable and secure in my hand without needing a silicone case on it to make it thicker & less slick would answer that for me...
    I doubt you will ever find a smartphone that can take a significant drop without a protective case. 
    twokatmewRayz2016
  • Reply 6 of 24
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    dysamoria said:

I think Apple took a step in that direction, releasing the latest phones without the rounded edge, which made them so easy to slip out of your hand, pocket or from anywhere else you put them. But I'm still not brave enough to not use a case, not when the whole phone needs to be replaced for cracked glass, back or front.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    lkrupp said:

Nobody will sue Tile but they will probably do to Amazon for facilitating stalkers 
    Do knives companies get sued for facilitating killings?
    edited May 2021 gc_ukjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    lkrupp said:

Because they are terrible for stalking LOL…

Apple have to include that function because of the massive find my network. It doesn’t take that long until somebody’s iPhone update your tag location. 

Tile already have plenty of products just freaking join find my and compete in the same network which will be very interesting. 

Now trying  to find a Tile is like:  well it was at this address 7 days ago meanwhile the AirTag if you leave it by itself is not going to take 20 min until someone with an iOS device passed by.

Just leave a tag in your car and start monitoring your tag through out the day. It will keep showing the last time it was “pinned” by an iOS device. 

Going the amazon way or keeping their own network will only result in their painful death. 

pujones1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Apple_Bar said:
    lkrupp said:

Going the amazon way or keeping their own network will only result in their painful death. 

Their existing network is not large enough, but with Amazon/Alexa/Ring that should help.  Do you think the network still won't be large enough, or are there other reasons why you think it won't work?    I'm primarily interested in anti-theft use cases which the anti-stalking precautions do not allow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    Sidewalk.  Because I want strangers on my wifi network.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    KillBillOGKillBillOG Posts: 32member
    Tile gets into bed with tracking creep… privacy be damned 
    Says Amazon and Tile:
    Oh, BTW we don’t think privacy should get in the way of our business model. 

Dogpersonwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Apple_Bar said:
    lkrupp said:

Apple have to include that function because of the massive find my network. It doesn’t take that long until somebody’s iPhone update your tag location. 

Tile already have plenty of products just freaking join find my and compete in the same network which will be very interesting. 

Now trying  to find a Tile is like:  well it was at this address 7 days ago meanwhile the AirTag if you leave it by itself is not going to take 20 min until someone with an iOS device passed by.

Just leave a tag in your car and start monitoring your tag through out the day. It will keep showing the last time it was “pinned” by an iOS device. 

I have the same problem with my Tiles too. I haven’t gone the Air Tags route yet but I’m going to in a few days from now when I get my Apple Card. 

So what happens if there aren’t any Amazon Bluetooth devices in the area? Amazon will end up buying them or doing them in when they sufficiently develop their own brand of trackers. Then what will Tile do? Sue. 

Doesn’t this make the case irrelevant? They finally decided to compete and innovate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Tile’s response to competing with a “monopoly” is to align itself with another monopoly? Was that so hard? Did we really need the wounded, crybaby routine these last several months? Now, they will sink or swim based completely on merit. Though, I suspect that more than a few people have been turned off from them forever. 
    williamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Apple needs to flood the market with UWB enabled devices to accentuate the benefits of its item tracking model. All of the new iPads (new Mini?) should be UWB enabled.  
    twokatmewpujones1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    My AirTag arrived!

I spent half the day looking for my car keys so I could put the AirTag on them. 

Found the car keys. 

Attached the shiny new AirTag, and realised it will remind me to put the keys back on the rack when I get home. 

williamlondonkurai_kageFileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I’d get one for the cat, but I don’t want to know how much time she spends with people she actually likes. 
    williamlondonfred1kurai_kageFileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gc_ukgc_uk Posts: 110member
    dysamoria said:

Other companies make trackers besides Tile, and I doubt any of them offer that “protection” because it’s just a problem Apple made up for a marketing strategy. Otherwise show where this has been an issue for the years in which those other devices existed. 

The Tile keychain connector is metal and forms the frame of the device. It’s probably less likely to break as a plastic loops accessory. Apple have cleverly created a supporting market for “accessories” more expensive than the device itself in many cases, but allows reviewers to point to how much cheaper the Apple device is compared to alternatives. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Japhey said:
    Tile’s response to competing with a “monopoly” is to align itself with another monopoly? Was that so hard? Did we really need the wounded, crybaby routine these last several months? Now, they will sink or swim based completely on merit. Though, I suspect that more than a few people have been turned off from them forever. 
    Glad you recognise they’re operating a monopoly. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 24
    KBChicago said:
    Sidewalk.  Because I want strangers on my wifi network.
    The article says it uses Bluetooth and works in the same way as the Find My network. So you’re happy with strangers to connect to your wifi if they have an apple device or did you just make a comment without reading the article?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I turned Sidewalk off as soon as it was released. I absolutely refuse to allow Amazon to use me for anything, especially after their track record. 

I have also removed every Amazon device in my house with the exception of 2 FireSticks that I use offline. I have a USB OTG adapter connected to them with Thumb Drives to play movies or shows on my kids’ TVs. 
    watto_cobra