Mj Rodriguez joins Apple TV+ comedy series starring Maya Rudolph

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2021
Michaela Jae (Mj) Rodriguez, known for her award-winning turn in Netflix's "Pose," has signed on to an as-yet-untitled Apple TV+ comedy series starring Maya Rudolph.

Mj Rodriguez

Rodriguez will play opposite Rudolph in the half-hour comedy created by Alan Yang and Matt Hubbard, reports Deadline.

Rudolph stars as Molly, a woman whose seemingly perfect life is upended after her husband leaves her with nothing but $87 billion. Rodriguez will take the role of Sofia, a hard-working executive director of a non-profit funded by Molly, the report says.

Apple ordered the series, which has yet to settle on a title, in March.

Rodriguez in 2019 became the first trans woman to win Best Actress in Television honors at the Imagen Awards for her performance in "Pose." The role nabbed her two Gold Derby Awards and nominations for a Critics Choice Television Award and an MTV Movie + TV Award.

Prior to "Pose," Rodriguez played parts in "Nurse Jackie" and "Luke Cage," and starred in indie film "Saturday Church."

The Apple TV+ comedy starring Rudolph and Rodriguez is written, created, and executive produced by Yang and Hubbard, both Emmy Award winners. Yang worked on "Master of None" and Apple TV+ exclusive "Little America," while Hubbard penned episodes of "30 Rock," "Parks and Recreation" and "Forever."
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dayviddayvid Posts: 1member
    how exciting! she is absolutely phenomenal in Pose
    Rayz2016doozydozen[Deleted User]ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    I have no idea who this woman is but wow, what a wierd face. Is she slightly cross eyed too? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dayvid said:
      Is Pose still running?
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    alanh said:
    I have no idea who this woman is but wow, what a wierd face. Is she slightly cross eyed too? 
    Rude. What’s the point of tearing someone down, especially when it’s based on something they have no control over?
    BeatsronnRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    alanh said:
    Rude. What’s the point of tearing someone down, especially when it’s based on something they have no control over?

Especially someone more successful but that’s the price of fame. Everyone sees YOU but you can’t see them. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    alanh said:
    Aren't you just a little ray of body positivity. 

Sorry for whatever happened to that you feel the need to run around doing this whole sexist shtick. The bad news is that neither Rodriguez or anyone else is seeking your validation. I'd suggest moving on. A vapid life isn't the path toward happiness. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 7 of 12

Rayz2016 said:
    dayvid said:
      Is Pose still running?
    Yes, it's a few episodes into it's third and final season. 
  • Reply 8 of 12

dayvid said:
    She is and Pose is just great in general.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Storyline of this untitled TV show is: "Rudolph stars as Molly, a woman whose seemingly perfect life is upended after her husband leaves her with nothing but 87 billion dollars.".  Two people I know will be turning in are ex's - Melinda Gates and ex Mrs. Jeff Bezo!  
    Beats
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Michaela Jae (Mj) Rodriguez, known for her award-winning turn in Netflix's "Pose," has signed on to an as-yet-untitled Apple TV+ comedy series starring Maya Rudolph.

Netflix has Seasons One and Two streaming rights of FX’s Pose. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Storyline of this untitled TV show is: "Rudolph stars as Molly, a woman whose seemingly perfect life is upended after her husband leaves her with nothing but 87 billion dollars.".  Two people I know will be turning in are ex's - Melinda Gates and ex Mrs. Jeff Bezo!  

Men should NEVER marry in the U.S. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    alanh said:
    I wouldn't say cross-eyed, but the slight turn-in of the left eye in that pic gives the appearance of amblyopia, an impairment of vision in one eye the brain doesn't connect with properly and allows that eye to wander. This occurs in the non-dominate eye and is commonly referred to as "lazy eye".

There are several celebrities who exhibit what appears to be or are said to have amblyopia. Whether or not this is the case with Rodriquez, I don't know. It may just be a matter of timing when the pic was taken.