'iPhone 13' said to be minutely thicker overall, with noticeably larger camera bump

Posted:
in iPhone
New technologies used in the "iPhone 13" lineup may lead to a slightly thicker enclosusre, along with a redesigned and noticeably larger camera bump.

The 'iPhone 13' will be thicker with new camera bump design
The 'iPhone 13' will be thicker with new camera bump design

The "iPhone 13" lineup is expected to launch in late 2021 with a few small changes to the overall design. The iPhone 12 had significant design revisions, so Apple will likely change very little about the next iPhone's external casing.

According to schematics seen by MacRumors, the case enclosure will be thicker by 0.17 mm. The publication also says that the designs revealed by the schematics line up with dummy models shown off by Unbox Therapy.

The camera bump will also have an increased thickness across the "iPhone 13" lineup. The "iPhone 13" will have a 2.51 mm camera bump, up from 1.5 mm to 1.7 mm on the iPhone 12. The "iPhone 13 Pro" will have a much thicker 3.65 mm camera bump.

Renders shared by MacRumors showcasing the camera bump thickness
Renders shared by MacRumors showcasing the camera bump thickness

MacRumors speculates that the camera bumps are getting thicker to reduce the lens protrusions on the back of the device. Apple made a similar design change with the iPad Pro cameras.

As seen in the Unbox Therapy video, the camera bump will increase in size as well. The measurements given for the "iPhone 13 Pro" will be around 36 mm by 37 mm, similar in size to the iPhone 12 Pro Max. That means that the pro iPhone models may have similar camera capabilities in the next generation.

Leaks of this nature normally source from accessory makers who get Apple's iPhone measurements early in order to design cases. Since the source of the schematics and dummy model are unknown, it is difficult to determine the accuracy of the leaks.

Expect the "iPhone 13" lineup to be announced at an Apple event in September. Rumored improvements include a better camera system, 120Hz ProMotion display, and Touch ID in the side button.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
IreneW

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Stupid millimeter differences so cases become obsolete.

I’m starting to think Apple is doing this on purpose.

For a company that believes in simplicity they sure fragment iPhone sizes.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Beats said:

Honestly, I have NEVER used an old case when I got a new phone. Never occurred to me to stick anything old on my shiny new kit…

(I can understand with the $300 keyboard cases, but not the $20 phone case…)
    Scot1the1maximusJapheyPetrolDavejbtuckrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I highly doubt that camera array considering there’s no LiDAR sensor. 

As for the thickness, as mentioned before, who sticks an old case on a new phone? Who cares if the phone is fractionally thicker, it means they have more room for a bigger battery to fill the space. 
    jbtuckrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Beats said:

These types of complaints never cease to amuse me.

$1,000 phone = no problem
    $20 accessory = travesty!
    king editor the gratedjames4242Rayz2016jbtuckrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    If it’s heavier, yet another year I refuse to upgrade. Weight has gotten out of hand. No pun intended.
    edited May 2021 right_said_fred
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    The iPhone mini needs to be offered in a Pro model in the next iteration. Sprinkle the Apple Pro pixie dust that will add stainless steel, better cameras, improved battery life, and whatever else that will allow it to be a Pro model.
    right_said_fredpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    igorsky said:
    Beats said:

These types of complaints never cease to amuse me.

$1,000 phone = no problem
    $20 accessory = travesty!
    That was a strange post from @Beats. And @Beats is a hard-core Apple fan (fanboy would be an apt description for the likes of him), who defends Apple to any extent possible in other threads, even going to the extent of abusing people who are even mildly critical of Apple. And he seems to be serious on this topic, because he has posted similar comment in one of the earlier threads as well.

And you are right, this is amusing to say the least. I don't see anything wrong with what Apple is doing on this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cpsro said:
    If it’s heavier, yet another year I refuse to upgrade. Weight has gotten out of hand. No pun intended.
    Have you thought about working out a bit more? 🏋️‍♀️ 
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Beats said:

It is a sub mm difference (0.17mm). If that is the only change involved, your case very probably won't notice the difference. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mobird said:
    The iPhone mini needs to be offered in a Pro model in the next iteration. Sprinkle the Apple Pro pixie dust that will add stainless steel, better cameras, improved battery life, and whatever else that will allow it to be a Pro model.
    That would be amazing.