Redesigned colored MacBook Air shown off in new renders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    ZeeblerZeebler Posts: 19member
    I'm a bit perplexed at how brutal the new design team is at Apple of all companies. The design flaws with the iMac's white bezel and faded aluminum and now these. It's not like these are 'subjective' decisions or trendsetting either - these are outright design mistakes that would not pass at any industrial design institution. At least they won't last long - similar to the toilet seat laptops. Apple does make mistakes like any company - but this is very perplexing that it made it past the marketing / creative team who would have an eye for this. I'm wondering if Tim isn't making the call on these things to suit his own taste.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    Or you could just clean your keyboard once in a while. I worked with people where I had to use their keyboard and they literally never cleaned them so there was like half a mm of grime, clear spots on the common keys. Fucking disgusting. 

Also the bulk of Apples Magic Keyboards have had white keys.
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Zeebler said:
    I'm a bit perplexed at how brutal the new design team is at Apple of all companies. The design flaws with the iMac's white bezel and faded aluminum and now these. It's not like these are 'subjective' decisions or trendsetting either - these are outright design mistakes that would not pass at any industrial design institution. At least they won't last long - similar to the toilet seat laptops. Apple does make mistakes like any company - but this is very perplexing that it made it past the marketing / creative team who would have an eye for this. I'm wondering if Tim isn't making the call on these things to suit his own taste.
    What makes you think it’s a new design team? 

Are you the arbiter of what acceptable design is?  What makes you think these have anything to do with Cook’s taste? Sounds like some heavy projection going on here. 
    seanjroundaboutnowmacapfelwilliamlondoncitpeksmike1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    I hope they just kill the Air branding, it’s been well loved, but now is the perfect opportunity to reset back to:

MacBook 13?” - colors!
    MacBook Pro 14”/16” - Silver, Graphite (?! Something darker than “Space Gray”, black?)
    iMac 24” - colors!
    iMac Pro 30” - Silver, Graphite, black whatever 

OR what if the Pro models offered some darker colors and black keys/bezels, like currently offered with the iPhones Pro - I would buy the shit out of a Midnight Green or Pacific Blue MacBook Pro, those would look striking. 

I’m hoping for improved finishes regardless, my 2018 MBP palm rests started wearing a few months in and has pretty noticeable lighter areas on the Space Gray. Had this somewhat with my 2011, but it’s much more visible on the SG finish. Also the black on the keys has worn off on both keyboards I’ve had in the ASD areas, seen this on other models from the last few models as well. Never had that happen on older models. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    It’s the Magic Keyboard. Literally I’m typing on a keyboard that looks almost identical to that. 

What’s with more pastel wishy washy colours? I really like the deep green, or blue of the BACKs of the iMacs. These pastel shades are just awful though. 
    MplsPwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Will the power cables also come in different colours? If not, ugly.

But I can see that the white bezel matches the white key caps. That works.
    To paraphrase Henry Ford, you Han have your power cable in any color you want as long as it's white.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 53
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    I don't care if it comes in Zune Brown, I just want a new 16" MBP designed from the ground around an Apple M2 chip.
    dewmefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Zeebler said:
    I am certain you haven't seen one of the new iMacs in person.
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I'm just glad that they're back to limiting it to only 1 USB port, because Apple wants to, not because M1 doesn't accommodate enough ports and displays. We're back to M2 ports supporting much more I/O, but Apple keeping them back, because.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 53
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    Blue or silver looks alright. Not a fan of the others.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    DAalseth said:
    It’s the Magic Keyboard. Literally I’m typing on a keyboard that looks almost identical to that. 

What’s with more pastel wishy washy colours? I really like the deep green, or blue of the BACKs of the iMacs. These pastel shades are just awful though. 
    The problem with pastels is they can look good in person but not translate to photographers. Wil be interesting to see them in the flesh to see what they really look like.

I do like with the iMac Apple have gone with a set a rules about the design, user-facing muted and bright behind. Would expect they follow suit with the MacBook so closed they'd be the bold block-colour but muted when you open them.

That would suggest a big change in how they are made in order to make two pieces of aluminium that could be treated separately. Full structural clamshell in the block colour. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Zeebler said:
    What makes you think it’s a new design team? 

Are you the arbiter of what acceptable design is?  What makes you think these have anything to do with Cook’s taste? Sounds like some heavy projection going on here. 
    Recall that, when Ive left Apple, the hot rumor was that it was driven by Cook's apathy toward design, and the fact that he wasn't as engaged with Ive as Jobs was.  Cook bad!  Drive out bored design genius says the internet!

Now, people see some new design rumor they don't like, and it's Cook's fault, of course.

Which is it?  Make up your minds.

If there's one CEO who knows his role, and his limitations (as Dirty Harry says), it's Cook.  Not the kind to micromanage, or claim to sleep in tents to fix his self-inflicted problems.

By most accounts, or at least reputable ones like Buffet's, he's an excellent leader for Apple.  He's no Spindler, or Ameilio, that's for sure.  Yet in the eyes of some, he's horrible, Apple is doomed, and it's all his fault!
    edited May 2021 fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Seems to me more probable, given the iMac design language, that the outer shell of a new MacBook would be the darker shade, with the keyboard surround the pastel colour next to the off white bezel. 
    Very much doubt that. Think about it, this product is called “air”. I see them keeping it pastel.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Will the power cables also come in different colours? If not, ugly.

But I can see that the white bezel matches the white key caps. That works.
    I’d bet the power plug and power cables will be white.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I'm not a fan of any keyboard with half size arrow keys. I use those keys a lot. Never liked my MacBook Air for that reason.
    FYI previous MBA had full-sized arrow keys but software developers complained they preferred the half-size arrow keys because they could judge the arrows by feel and feel alone using their finger tips, so after a few years of full size arrow keys (the years you missed out on) Apple returned to the half-size arrow keys in 2020.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    sigma902 said:
    Maybe they are reviving the MacBook or iBook product names with these. Like the MacBook, different from the MacBook Air in thinness, better display, single port and higher price—Retina then, mini LED now. 
    Said he’s unsure if MagSafe is coming or not to MBA and he never mentioned the headphone jack. He’s definitely doing some educated guessing if you watch his video. He doesn’t have any info about MagSafe or headphone jack so both may come. He did mention one USB on either side though. “In the renders I got there was a USB port on either side”
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 37 of 53
    AI_lias said:
    I'm just glad that they're back to limiting it to only 1 USB port, because Apple wants to, not because M1 doesn't accommodate enough ports and displays. We're back to M2 ports supporting much more I/O, but Apple keeping them back, because.
    He said “the renders I’ve seen show one USB port on either side”.

I predict these new MBAs will also have a headphone jack and MagSafe. 
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Xed said:
    I don't care if it comes in Zune Brown, I just want a new 16" MBP designed from the ground around an Apple M2 chip.
    M1X or M2X chip when it launches, yeah.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    You Apple, better add 3 if not 4 USB-C ports on 2022 Macbook Air.
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 53
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I just love the fact that this new design is not tapered (wedge). To my eyes the flat design of the MacBook Pro is superior. 
    But the colours of this redesigned Air look great. 
    I really wish the Pro would get color options like the 24" iMac or suspected redesigned Air. 
    Anxiously waiting for WWDC and hopefully a new MBP (midnight blue or forest green) will be on it's way. 

williamlondon