Redesigned colored MacBook Air shown off in new renders

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    Or you could just clean your keyboard once in a while. I worked with people where I had to use their keyboard and they literally never cleaned them so there was like half a mm of grime, clear spots on the common keys. Fucking disgusting. 

Also the bulk of Apples Magic Keyboards have had white keys.
    Exactly, it’s something you need to do once in a while with any keyboard. This morning I took my Magic Keyboard, sprayed some Magic Green on a rag, wipe, wipe, wipe, and done. Less than ten seconds and it looks like new. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    The renders always do not look good. Just remember the iMac renders versus the real deal. So, I expect the new ID with Apple Silicon to be really good.

Apple's unibody silver and glass laptop design seems to be used by half the laptops out there now. There seems to be a lot of laptops with silver case, black flat keys, and a black framed display for a long while now. Can't tell how many times where I had to look more carefully at a laptop to determine if it was an Apple laptop or not. I'm not sure what Apple could do to make the design of MacBooks immediately recognizable like they did with the iMac. Just the form, absent the color.

Making it a "super thin MacBook Pro" that is silver or space gray with black keys really isn't going to do it, make it immediately recognizable, as virtually every vendor will be doing some version of this with their MacBook inspired laptops too. The color gives them maybe a year or two of uniqueness before competitors follow.

The white keys are fine with me. I use an external keyboard with white keys. ;) The white framed display is fine with me as well. The language for the ports is strange. Hopefully it is a charging port, audio port, and 2 TB/USB ports, 1 on each side.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Zeebler said:
    I'm a bit perplexed at how brutal the new design team is at Apple of all companies. The design flaws with the iMac's white bezel and faded aluminum and now these. It's not like these are 'subjective' decisions or trendsetting either - these are outright design mistakes that would not pass at any industrial design institution. At least they won't last long - similar to the toilet seat laptops. Apple does make mistakes like any company - but this is very perplexing that it made it past the marketing / creative team who would have an eye for this. I'm wondering if Tim isn't making the call on these things to suit his own taste.

Sound like an aspiring high school or college design student. Reminds me of the old adage. Hire a teenager while they still know everything.
    williamlondonthtStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 53
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    I'm not a fan of any keyboard with half size arrow keys. I use those keys a lot. Never liked my MacBook Air for that reason.
    Half size arrow keys are a staple of Apple laptop keyboards.  They went away with the butterfly debacle.  I'm glad they brought them back.  I find it easier to know where I am on the keyboard, with the half size vs. full size horizontal arrow keys.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Beats said:
    At least 3 thunderbolt ports please! And FaceID.
    Probably not - low cast machine.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 53
    wood1208 said:
    You Apple, better add 3 if not 4 USB-C ports on 2022 Macbook Air.
    Nope - low cost machine.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    AI_lias said:
    I'm just glad that they're back to limiting it to only 1 USB port, because Apple wants to, not because M1 doesn't accommodate enough ports and displays. We're back to M2 ports supporting much more I/O, but Apple keeping them back, because.
    It’s not limited to just one though. In the video, he said they didn’t see the case from an angle where’d they be able to see MagSafe if present, so they left it out. The guy who did the renders literally said he included another USB-C port and headphone jack on the right side. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If it wasn’t for the white frame I’d love it. The only way they can get out of this with pride  and style, is if they introduce a bezel-less screen ;-)
    williamlondonmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    Zeebler said:
    I'm a bit perplexed at how brutal the new design team is at Apple of all companies. The design flaws with the iMac's white bezel and faded aluminum and now these. It's not like these are 'subjective' decisions or trendsetting either - these are outright design mistakes that would not pass at any industrial design institution. At least they won't last long - similar to the toilet seat laptops. Apple does make mistakes like any company - but this is very perplexing that it made it past the marketing / creative team who would have an eye for this. I'm wondering if Tim isn't making the call on these things to suit his own taste.
    Lol, you really don’t know Apple very well, do you…
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 53
    "Apple's design is stale, they need to change it soon."

* * * Apple changes design * * *

"Nooooo not like that!!!"
    williamlondonmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 53
    The best looking Apple Laptop was the PowerBook G3 Lombard with its sleek contours, executive black finish and translucent bronze keyboard. It always garnered compliments when i used it amongst a sea of IBM ThinkPads. 

Apple is now going back in time rather than forward. 

I miss Steve. He never would have approved the first gen Apple Pencil. And don’t think he’s approving of these new MacBook TeleTubbies.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jfdesigns said:
    The best looking Apple Laptop was the PowerBook G3 Lombard with its sleek contours, executive black finish and translucent bronze keyboard. It always garnered compliments when i used it amongst a sea of IBM ThinkPads. 

I miss Steve. He never would have approved the first gen Apple Pencil. And don’t think he’s approving of these new MacBook TeleTubbies.  
    Steve Jobs approved of a lot of things and the best looking Apple laptop is their current space grey model by far.

The different colored metal looks nice. The part people care more about is white vs black bezels. Apple has used black bezels on lighter colored products as well as white like the iPad and Macbook:

It would be good to have the option to buy all the colors in either black or white bezels/keys as well as the space grey and silver options.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Marvin said:
    jfdesigns said:

Steve Jobs approved of a lot of things and the best looking Apple laptop is their current space grey model by far.

[images deleted]

The different colored metal looks nice. The part people care more about is white vs black bezels. Apple has used black bezels on lighter colored products as well as white like the iPad and Macbook:

[images deleted]

It would be good to have the option to buy all the colors in either black or white bezels/keys as well as the space grey and silver options.
    Heh, the iBook had white or light gray or silver framed displays with iBooks and MBAs for something like 20 years! Oh how quickly people forget. May 8 years with the iMac!

My first Apple machine was the iBook Dual USB:

Played many many hours of Age of Empires II on it. Too bad MS bought Ensemble Studios, which promptly meant the end of AoE on Macs. Anyways, the color of the displaying is simply not an issue for 99% of the market of buyers.
    watto_cobra