Think Secret says new iPod...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, for their sake, I hope they are wrong.

This is what they say: models will be in 20 GBs, 15 GBs and 30 GB. It will also come with a docking station. Coming by the end of the month.

According to them it will look like this:

If that is really what ships, I will not buy one. It will be just like every other MP3 player on the market besides the size. I like the current iPod because it is the easiest to navigate songs and volume, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Having one row of buttons makes more sense in some ways. You only have to visually scan in one direction instead of looking at thin buttons around a circle.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    surely a craddle is a step back ...
  • Reply 3 of 86
    unless its Airport compatible that is
  • Reply 4 of 86
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

surely a craddle is a step back ...

What's wrong with the cradle?

It was my impression from the article that you wouldn't have to use it if you didn't want to......

At any rate, I $299 I will be taking a plunge for the 10 gigger.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    It clutters up you desk, wont be compatible with any other craddled device (pda etc) and unless it has added functionality not availble on the ipod itself will be consigned to a draw shortly after purchase.

I like the idea of more disk though. I've just got to pluck up the courage to take mine apart so i can slot a bigger disk in.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Indeed, cheaper means more market share and that means more mind share (once Apple pulls their collective head out of their arse about these retailer mutanies).

I'm not opposed to the redesign for the sake of ease-of-use. However, the 1st gen. "big round button" does looks cleaner.

Screed
  • Reply 7 of 86
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

If that is really what ships, I will not buy one. It will be just like every other MP3 player on the market besides the size. I like the current iPod because it is the easiest to navigate songs and volume, etc.

Jared - I'm hoping that ThinkSecret saw a rough of the interface and assumed that the four new button were the original four from the wheel, but in fact are actually four new buttons for additional functionality related to new features...

...or at least I can dream it \
  • Reply 8 of 86
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Having one row of buttons makes more sense in some ways. You only have to visually scan in one direction instead of looking at thin buttons around a circle.

The point of having the buttons all around the scrolling wheel was that you didn't have to look at all, because it made sense.

Having them in one row is a bad idea, and I really doubt it.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    The article also says it'll have USB2, "Primarily for Windows users." Primarily != Exclusively. Does this mean we may see USB2 on other Apple products? Would be nice...
  • Reply 10 of 86
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    The buttons suck, and the cardle is a so-so idea. (IMO)

Does the picture indicate a plastic backing or is that the metal of old?

Is the Firewire port is on the bottom since it looks as if you place it right side in the cradle.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    I were waiting fore the new ones... but now im gona by the 10 gb verson before its to late!!!

Runing to the shop now!

MAX
  • Reply 12 of 86
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Looks. Like. Ass. Three steps back.

/looks at current 10GB iPod. Hugs it

low-fi
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Hmmm... I don't know. I think I like both of the new ideas presented in that image.

I find the current navigation buttons on my iPod a tiny bit cumbersome. They're really thin. I mean, they're certainly usable, but I'd prefer nice, round buttons like the current middle button - as long as I can get to them with my thumb, which, after just now picking up my iPod to see if I could, looks like it won't be any problem at all.

I also find plugging and unplugging the firewire connector, again, a tiny bit cumbersome. I really like the cradle idea. It will also prop it up so you can see the display easily while it's playing.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I cant see the cradle TBH, waste of space. Bluetooth is too slow for updating the entire music library, but would be good for updating contacts. As I said somewhere else, FM transmitter & receiver would be the best option.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    IMO I think it should double as a Game Boy Advance and have a full color screen. I want to be able to 'download' games into it's hard drive and play head to hear via firewire cable... (dream on NUM, dream on....)
  • Reply 16 of 86
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It's only a drawing and probably not accurate. Remember all the "previews" of the flat panel iMac... they were all wrong. In any event wait and see and stop complaining before we actually see the thing.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    If you recall, MacWhispers posted that a cable was being built for Apple where one end was a PC board connector, and the other was a dual FireWire/USB connector. Looking at the iPod dock, it now makes sense.

Instead of a FireWire connector right on the iPod, the new iPod would have this dock connector on the bottom. (Similar to the dock connector Palms use.) The dock would use the USB2/FireWire cable, for maximum compatibility with both Mac and Windows machines. With dual partitions, Mac and PC software could come on the same CD in the box. The iPod would come formatted for Macs, and the PC installer would reformat it to PC if necessary. This would cut marketing costs, and make it easier for stores too since they wouldn't have to stock separate Windows/Mac versions.

I don't see the point in trying to complain about the dock...it will be a beneficial feature, especially if it aids in PC/Mac compatibility. Whether or not the new button design is a good idea, that remains to be seen.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 18 of 86
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    And how would you charge the ipod while on the road, do we now need to take the cradle with us? I don't like that.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd assume a Firewire connector would be kept. That image doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me either... I don't mind the cradle or buttons idea too much, but where is a menu button?
  • Reply 20 of 86
    We're putting a lot of faith in this pruported "rendering," aren't we? The iPod is one of Apple's jewels and I can't believe that they would junk it up.

I'm not wild about the idea of buttons, but I think a optional dock makes a lot of sense. There's a demonstrated interest in a something to hold your iPod. How many different crappy plastic things are on the market today to rest your iPod on? These sell well and have all the funtionality of a brick. But certainly it would be optional... if you don't want it, don't use it.

Anyway, I know ThinkSecret is pretty reliable, but let's not assume that 'rendering' is that the finished product will look like.