Early benchmarks prove M1 iPad Pros are 50% faster than previous generation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    omairomair Posts: 9member
    Any comparison out there with A14(ipad air)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thedba said:
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

Actually, they already did.   Try to keep up.

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamITGUYINSD
  • Reply 23 of 89

I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system. :neutral: 
    I’m curious to know what things iOS isn’t capable of doing for you. Through my experiences, I’m inclined to think that you’re feeling/experiencing these limitations because you haven’t gone all in. I would argue the inconvenience and cumbersome that you’re feeling is because there’s no need for you to push through the struggle. I am very excited to see where they take this interface vision for the iPad. 

It is less about CAN it do it then it is about HOW it does it.  

But isn’t that the whole point (and the one I’m arguing); the different OS’s are all about HOW they do it. Apple obviously has a vision for how a user interacts with a computer. Yes, they may merge at some point in the future but I don’t think that is as close as you say. People have been predicting the death of video game consoles for years but they are still hear and stronger than ever; and that gap between a dedicated game device and a computer is much smaller than the gap between the philosophy and purpose of the different OS’s, IMO. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    hmlongco said:
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    You have a complete misunderstanding of what an iPad is. Buy a Mac if you want to run macOS apps
    williamlondonthedbajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 89
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "All dressed up and no place to go"

So, hobbled by iPadOS, where is the M1 iPad going to go?

I don't know.  But I see Macs integrating more into the tablet world while iPads integrate more into the Mac world.
    ....  Only Apple knows how and when it will take place.   They have a lot of options -- except for one:  the status quo -- which is not viable over the long haul.

It’s obvious Apple will announce some big new features at WWDC for these new beasts.

I’m betting on Apple’s Pro apps debuting. I want Logic Pro.

I don’t like the idea of macOS running on iPad. Seems too complicated for a simple device. I guess if you attach a keyboard it could give the user an option.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

williamlondonthedbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So this article announces that the new iPad Pro is a wild beast in performance and what do we get in the forum posts? Bitching, whining, dissatisfaction, ‘not good enough’, "too bad it doesn’t have...” “I would buy one if it has this or that” Nothing is good enough, nothing satisfies. What a Debbie Downer AI forums are... all the damn time. 
    williamlondontmaythedbaBeatsthtjcs2305jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 89
    lkrupp said:

So this article announces that the new iPad Pro is a wild beast in performance and what do we get in the forum posts? Bitching, whining, dissatisfaction, ‘not good enough’, "too bad it doesn’t have...” “I would buy one if it has this or that” Nothing is good enough, nothing satisfies. What a Debbie Downer AI forums are... all the damn time. 
    Your comment is entirely misplaced in the current circumstances. Even the previous iPad Pro was/is a wild beast in performance. And Apple improved that beastly performance further. It is natural for anyone to ask the question - Hardware improvements are good, but what about the software which has been behind the curve for this device ALREADY for few years?
    williamlondonMplsPGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 89
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Nice little strawman world you've built there for yourself. 
    I honestly don't see the point of you hanging out in these forums constantly moaning and groaning why Apple isn't giving you MacOS on an iPad or touch screen on a Mac. You're not even their target clientele, since you've so often told us of lack of upgradeability and how your 10 year old Lenovo on Windows 10 is running perfectly with all your legacy 32 bit apps. 
    williamlondontmayBeatslkruppjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 89
    lkrupp said:

Your comment is entirely misplaced in the current circumstances. Even the previous iPad Pro was/is a wild beast in performance. And Apple improved that beastly performance further. It is natural for anyone to ask the question - Hardware improvements are good, but what about the software that I am using which has been behind the curve for this device ALREADY for few years?
    Allow me to correct your post. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 89
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system. :neutral: 
    I’m curious to know what things iOS isn’t capable of doing for you. Through my experiences, I’m inclined to think that you’re feeling/experiencing these limitations because you haven’t gone all in. I would argue the inconvenience and cumbersome that you’re feeling is because there’s no need for you to push through the struggle. I am very excited to see where they take this interface vision for the iPad. 
    I absolutely went all in - I got an iPad pro to replace my aging MacBook air and used (or tried to use) it exclusively for 3 months. At that point I finally gave up and got a new MBP. I wanted the iPad to work, but there were things it couldn't to and other things it could do but the workflow was so cumbersome that it took 5 times as long.

One huge problem is the way the OS manages files. I got a 512GB model with the thought that it would be plenty of space since my MBA only had 256. The problem is iPadOS does not store everything locally and gives you no control over what it keeps and what it deletes. If you're connected to the internet (with no data limits) that's fine. I found out the hard way at 30,000 feet. I made sure that I had downloaded add the files and attachments I wanted to work on ahead of time, pulled out my iPad once we were in the air and they were gone, curtesy of iPadOS so I spent the rest of my flight playing solitaire. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 89
    lkrupp said:

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the lack of ports argument yet. 

LOL As I was posting this, I noticed this ad at the top of my web page. The naysayers' dream machine with (LOOK at all those ports). 

edited May 2021 tmaylkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 89
    MplsP said:

I absolutely went all in - I got an iPad pro to replace my aging MacBook air and used (or tried to use) it exclusively for 3 months. At that point I finally gave up and got a new MBP. I wanted the iPad to work, but there were things it couldn't to and other things it could do but the workflow was so cumbersome that it took 5 times as long.

One huge problem is the way the OS manages files. I got a 512GB model with the thought that it would be plenty of space since my MBA only had 256. The problem is iPadOS does not store everything locally and gives you no control over what it keeps and what it deletes. If you're connected to the internet (with no data limits) that's fine. I found out the hard way at 30,000 feet. I made sure that I had downloaded add the files and attachments I wanted to work on ahead of time, pulled out my iPad once we were in the air and they were gone, curtesy of iPadOS so I spent the rest of my flight playing solitaire. 
    What are you talking about?
    Here's a screenshot from my iPad. All that is basically stuff on my local iPad directory.
    If there is absolutely no place in your budget for both devices, then you are probably best served by a Mac.
    Besides, if my job is sitting in front of a desk, day in and day out, working on documents/e-mails/meetings, then I would choose the most ergonomical for me device.
    An iPad, even the 12.9 inch version is way too small for that. I'm sitting in front of my desk and I count 9 windows open spread over two screens. 
    I would never think of doing such work on an iPad. Not because it can't, but because it's not the best device for my back and neck muscles. 

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    "Prove" is a very strong word.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 89
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    lkrupp said:

Ironic is that your two posts in this thread are in fact, negative and dissing people.

I think those that say iPadOS hobbles an iPad with this much performance are correct.  I have an iPad, why should i also buy a MacBook?  Apple says the iPad is notebook replacement, yet I cannot run two or more apps at the same time and switch between them without the idle/background one somehow timing out or losing where I was when I switched away and come back!  Such a powerful M1 chip and can't even multi-task properly.

I have a 12.9" 2018 iPad and it is still just as fast as the day I bought it.  I can't imagine that, given what I am capped at doing with it, that I need more speed.  Some that do more graphically intensive tasks, maybe it's for them.  
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacTRAG
  • Reply 36 of 89
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

His comment is from experience. It’s true Apple develops ground breaking, innovative, “overkill” products and it’s still not good enough.

Imagine showing someone this iPad in 2007? Their heads would explode and they’d call it the “dream device” and claim “I’ll never need another piece of tech in my life!”
    Goes to show how entitled we’ve become and how we’ve taken modern technology for granted.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 89
    muthuk_vanalingam said: Your comment is entirely misplaced in the current circumstances. Even the previous iPad Pro was/is a wild beast in performance. And Apple improved that beastly performance further. It is natural for anyone to ask the question - Hardware improvements are good, but what about the software which has been behind the curve for this device ALREADY for few years?
    I think most professional users that buy an iPad Pro are already going to know which apps they'll be using on it and what features those apps do or don't support versus desktop/laptop.  
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    thedba said:
    DAalseth said:
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
    Beat you to it. Mine is in the mail (figuratively of course). 
    I'm also upgrading from a 10.5 inch version and no need for added accessories since my significant other already has the magic ⌨️ and ߍﯸamp;nbsp;for her iPad Air. . 
    I’m seriously considering the 1TB version just for the 16GB of RAM. My 10.5 has 6 and I run into limits because of it. Can’t do as big or as fine a drawings in Procreate as I’d like to. I could get the 256 or 512 but they come with 8GB and I want to future proof. Here in Canada with a new Apple Pencil, AppleCare, case and such it will be closing in of $2k. Ouch, but I’m on the thing all day. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 89
    muthuk_vanalingam said: Your comment is entirely misplaced in the current circumstances. Even the previous iPad Pro was/is a wild beast in performance. And Apple improved that beastly performance further. It is natural for anyone to ask the question - Hardware improvements are good, but what about the software which has been behind the curve for this device ALREADY for few years?
    I think most professional users that buy an iPad Pro are already going to know which apps they'll be using on it and what features those apps do or don't support versus desktop/laptop.  
    Does that mean Apple should be satisfied with status quo (slow progress) on the software side of iPad, while they are progressing at an extraordinary speed on the hardware side?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 89
    DAalseth said:
    thedba said:
    DAalseth said:
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
    Beat you to it. Mine is in the mail (figuratively of course). 
    I'm also upgrading from a 10.5 inch version and no need for added accessories since my significant other already has the magic ⌨️ and ߍﯸamp;nbsp;for her iPad Air. . 
    I’m seriously considering the 1TB version just for the 16GB of RAM. My 10.5 has 6 and I run into limits because of it. Can’t do as big or as fine a drawings in Procreate as I’d like to. I could get the 256 or 512 but they come with 8GB and I want to future proof. Here in Canada with a new Apple Pencil, AppleCare, case and such it will be closing in of $2k. Ouch, but I’m on the thing all day. 
    I hear ya, about the price. 
    I'm Canadian too and with our GST+PST we have to add 14.785% to the sticker price. 
    I'm not as artistically oriented as you so I'm only getting the base model. 
    After COVID lockdowns and all, I'll probably leave my Dell company issued laptop at work permanently, have my trusty 2015 MBP at home, docked and ready to go and for the in between commute, use the iPad with Keyboard, for mails, Teams messaging and other Office 365 related work. 

Seems like you use your iPad quite a bit, should be fun exploring its added capabilities and with WWDC around the corner you may be getting even more out of it.
    I know I can't wait, the 27th of May cannot come soon enough. 
    watto_cobra