Is Compact Flash Type I a commodity?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
All set to but a Canon S400 with a 512 Mb CF Type I card. Does it really matter which company I buy the memory card from or are the specs/performance pretty much all the same? I'm going to buy the camera from Dell and I think Dell is offering a Sandisk CF I card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    You might want to look for a high speed CF card. Faster cards will minimize read/write speeds to the card. This helps when taking photos and when transferring the photos to the computer--that is, if you have a snazzy FireWire card reader like I do.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Don't be afraid to shop around the lesser known manufacturers though. Whether it's SimpleTech or Transcend or Lexar or SanDisk...A while ago the DPReview forumgoers loved the Transcend CF cards for example.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    I bought a 256MB card from crucial.com and aside from being the cheapest I could find (in the UK) it works perfectlywith my Ixus 400 (S400 outside Europe). Canon says you need a high speed card to capture more than a few seconds of video but my card (no idea of the speed) has captured over a minute with no problems..haven't tried to find it's max, but canon says it's 3 minutes.